Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gaming potential on the new MacBook 13inch

This is what specifications are on the new MacBook 13inch.
Graphics and Video Support
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory1

This is what is on my iMac
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Can someone explain the difference and advise on whether the MacBook would be as good for playing games?

imac Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on May 27, 2006 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2006 10:37 AM

long and the short is your IMAC is better for games and although you macbook would play games they would look far inferior and at a much lower frame rate than on your imac
16 replies

May 27, 2006 2:34 PM in response to Nick A

Hi, I've read on other forums that at some point in the near future mac software developers who produce 3D heavy games, will exclude the macbook and mac-mini from they're minimum requirements list on the packaging, as they both utilize on-board integrated graphics!

I'm running HALO on my base model Macbook (white,1.83 ghz,combo,60GB hd,512mb) I've had to turn off all effects,shading,details,flaring,etc..., and run it in a window, and at 640*480 resolution. So far I can report reasonably good gameplay online, although it depends on the number of other players and the ping rate, but its certainly playable/enjoyable (even to the point of winning a few CTF and SLAYER sessions). I wouldn't attempt hosting a server but I'm happy with the performance considering its not really a laptop designed around 3D gaming.

Hope this helps

Smarteee

May 29, 2006 3:00 PM in response to sseligson

anyone try half life under windows on the macbook?

I saw it playing on a MacBook Pro, I don't expect it to play on a Mac Book.

Really for any 3D Gaming your going to need a PowerMac or for Windows 3D games a Intel based Mac Pro. (hasn't been released yet)

3D video games are heavily graphics card dependant. You need to be able to upgrade this to play the latest heavy duty 3D video games.

Of course Windows Vista 3D games might need a DirectX capable video card in a Mac. (yikes :O )

Jun 8, 2006 7:37 AM in response to sseligson

I haven't run Half Life, but I just played Day of Defeat: Source. I was experiencing lag, but I don't think that was the system. I'll have to experiment more on that. The important issue, though, is that I had to use the -dxlevel 70 option to get it to run. Otherwise, after the loading screen, it went black. I could still click on the menu options and see the pointer, but nothing else was there.

MacBook 2.0GHz Mac OS X (10.4.6) 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, BootCamp for games

Jun 9, 2006 11:14 AM in response to Nick A

I've emailed the support dept. at macsoft ( Suppliers of HALO for macbook ), the very helpful reply stated that " 3D heavy games that were written to run on powerpc macs will run on an intel based mac through an unseen emulator known as 'Rosetta', this will directly affect the speed, frame rate and stability of non-intel mac software. " it goes onto say " a Universal patch or update for HALO to be released soon will enable HALO to run natively on intel-based macs therfore enabling max speed and playability.

Also, concerning the inbuilt graphics capability, if you check other threads and the macbook help discussion it appears that the macbook will utilize over and above the stated 64mb shared memory if the processor requires!

Hope this helps

Smarteee

Gaming potential on the new MacBook 13inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.