Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete multiple messages in OS X

Hi

is there a way to delete multiple messages in the Messages app? I can only delete one at the time and I also wish there was a way to not have the deletion confirmation every time. Better yet, deleting multiple messages across all devices would be the ideal 🙂

thanks

nick

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 8:54 PM

25 replies

May 23, 2017 12:00 PM in response to nick baccante

Hi,

There is now a Messages feedback page https://www.apple.com/feedback/messages.html

This has come in to being since this Thread started.

It is much more likely that it comes form the fact you could not do it in iChat either.

User uploaded file

8:00 pm Tuesday; May 23, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Nov 21, 2017 12:41 PM in response to philhuett

Hi,

This outdated page Feedback - Messages - Apple will server you just as well as it serves us.

Apple don't read the Discussions Boards for suggestions.

User uploaded file

8:41 pm Tuesday; November 21, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Apr 22, 2013 2:38 PM in response to nick baccante

Hi,

Multiple Conversations (iMessages) or Chat (Buddy connections) cannot be selected using shift + click to be deleted or closed.

In an open Conversation or Chat individual IMs or Messages also cannot be selected to be deleted.

Highlighting one message and then using CMD + Backspace will produce the Pop up to delete the whole Conversation/Chat.

If you have Messages Menu > Preferences > Messages > Save on closing chat then you have to close the chats or conversations individually to be saved.

They do get Saved "en masse" as it were on Quit (as in Per session).

The Sync process for iMessages is only "Display on all Devices" and not any more sophisticated than that.

It means you have to delete the conversation manually on each device.

An option to delete a Conversation on a Sync basis would create even more pop ups to ensure people were undertaking the exact action they wanted.

User uploaded file
10:37 PM Monday; April 22, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Apr 23, 2013 12:10 PM in response to sig

Hi Sig,

Maybe I am not following this as I should.

I created two "New Messages" in the list on the left. (I rarely keep old Chats/Conversations open)

One to my Apple ID as an iMessage (to my iPhone essentially) and the other to an AIM Screen Name I have.

I sent text to both to ensure that there was a "Conversation" as such.

I then made sure one item in the list was highlighted.

Holding Shift down and clicking the other Chat/Conversation only highlights the second item.

This is what I tried before I posted before and I have just tried it again with the method above.

User uploaded file
8:10 PM Tuesday; April 23, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Apr 23, 2013 8:42 PM in response to sig

hey Sig

I just tried Shift-Click as well, but no luck...I can shift-click and select parts of a conversation within a message, but I don't see the utility of doing that

must be missing something, sounds like a poor software design for something that should be easy

and...hate having the delete confirmation pop up when deleting a conversation

How do I delete multiple messages in OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.