Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac11,3 27", i5 Mid 2010 - 16GB/32GB RAM Logic Board

Hey All...

this is what happend to me:

I wanted to upgrade the RAM of my iMac11,3 from 8GB to - what is often called to be possible- 32GB

Ok, orderd from a apple service provider... delivered.

4x8GB from SiQuell (Dont work, getting Kernel Panics, even with 8GB only)

old ones (4x2GB) still work fine..

Putting in 20GB (2x2GB+2x8GB9): Starts up and loads. Until u use more then 4GB with what so ever..-> Kernel Panic

called service, they changed them to 4x8GB from Samsung (Said they never got problems with these ones...)

same thing.

Putting 32GB in - iMac doesnt boot, gets stuck at Apple..

Save-mode: starting up showing 64Gb ( 2x8GB + 2x24GB)

using one 8GB only, starting till loading desktop ->kernel Panic

Booting from an exteral System -> all the same

ALL None-Apple-Kernel-Extentions Deleted/uninstalled -> No Effekts

Diagnostics:

Verbose mode.

32GB not passing first 3-4 commandlines.

8 GB same thing as above..

Apple Service Diagnostics.

Running ASD OS 3S140

Old Ram: working like Charme! passing ALL TESTS!

32GB even bevore starting test- memory micompare. then it freezes

8GB no failure before test, then freeze.

Running ASD EFI 3S140

Starting it, but it doesnt pass (Loading videocontroller device) no test possible, with what RAM soever.

---

Server Diagnostics at AASP

Old Specs, Running like charme, passing again all tests

The program he had (looked a bit different) passed loading videocontroller device.

Froze a bit later

--

We tried bunch of different RAM. The 2x4GB recommended from Apple, different produceres, etc...

all nothing.

He said, that the - got to translate this one freely, cause dont know english word for it -

memory management on the mainboard somehow cant handle more then the 2GB sticks...

And the best thing: he couldn´t rule out and EFI Firmeware Error!! BUT: U CANT FLASH, or REINSTALL EFI FIREWARE..

Only thing to do is wait till Apple brings an update. (HAHA, really?!? waiting for an update for mid 2010 models?!?! good joke!)

U cant even set it back to the original firmware!

So, my System/Board might keep runnig for next 3-4 years (with the old RAM of course), but as well might break down anytime..

Now what really pi**** me off is, that i am one the one hand are out of warrenty, and on the other hand, this problem might

likely been there from the beginning..

This means that u got to check stuff ure buy for every single possible upgrade it should support, even if u just wanna make that in a few years when needed..

That mainboard includig the technicans few is around 800 Euro... have the price off a new iMac...

And only because they "Change it" its "that cheep", other whise - he said-it would cost around double the price..

the only good news aout this is, that when i decide to change the board, they can aswell plug in the cable to set up a SSD drive later on and spare the cost of

getting under that mainboard again.

So Much for Apple Custom Care!!!!!!

BTW, ANY GOOD IDEAS ARE WELCOME!

a well frustrated cheers!

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 6:29 AM

27 replies

Apr 24, 2013 8:22 AM in response to Michael.Cologne

Your iMac must have an i5 or i7 CPU to address 32 GB memory. Verify that it is, then purchase RAM from a reputable vendor. Not all memory is guaranteed to work even though it may be from Samsung, and I have never heard of SiQuell.

The i3 CPU cannot use 8 GB DIMMs. It can absolutely use 2 GB or 4 GB DIMMs. Your Apple Service Provider ought to know that. Given your logic board uncertainty verify that is what you have. About This Mac > More Info...

Apr 24, 2013 8:27 AM in response to John Galt

It is an i5 .. checkt that out already... sry, forgot to put it up there. was one of the first things to check out.

saidly i cant edit the post...

The point is: Normal iMac i5 can use 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB,

recommended by apple up to 16, posible are 32 GB.

MY iMac (i5 to remember): can ONLY use 2 GBs... everything else: KERNEL PANIC and all stuff up there.

The Service Provider tried out various diffent types of RAM, 4GBs, 8GBs, different producers...

even the ones that always work like charm in all other iMac they built em in...

he said, that he never ever saw something ike this.

When a logic board normaly is damaged, it doesnt work at all. aber that it can only adress the 2 GBs, he can only explain it with the

memory-management on the board...

or the EFI firmware thing.. but. unless there is an update - if ure EFI is corrupted, no way to flash it. Apple says, u need anew logic board!

as i said.. mine is especial.. :-) or let say something is damaged...

Apr 24, 2013 10:48 AM in response to John Galt

Point for u!

As The Purchasing department here is kind of over there heads with this, bit everything gotta pass them, im gonna check if the support where we normaly order can as well order the ones u named up there.

And see if they deliver to Germany as well. Crucial seems to..

Anyway, as i could guess that they dont want to loose us as customers, ill bet they give it another shoot.

But for now, soccer time! It game day for the BVB! ;)

I'll keep u posted.and big thx so far!

Jun 12, 2013 8:14 PM in response to Michael.Cologne

Michael.Cologne, did you ever get this resolved? I have the same iMac (11,3 27", i5 Mid 2010), and am trying to upgrade my RAM. It works fine with the original memory (two SAMSUNG 2Gig).

I installed some other memory (two CRUCIAL 4Gigs, branded as Mac-compatible) below for a total of 12 Gigs. It recognized the RAM and booted, but crashed programs. When I tried to run memtest, it crashed the whole computer! So, I researched and read on this site that people had success with MUSHKIN. Got two 4Gig sticks of that. Same result as above.

I tried all variations (only the CRUCIAL, only the MUSHKIN, both together, etc.) with no sucess at all.The only thing that seems to work is the original SAMSUNG. So, now Apple has taken hours of my time (took me hours just to take the bus to get the RAM) and over a hundred bucks on useless RAM.

Are there any solutions at all, or is this thing un-upgradeable?

Jun 12, 2013 8:51 PM in response to kyoto-james

Crucial RAM should've worked. It maybe that you just got some bad or corrupted modules from them.

They have a full refund return policy and a lifetime replacement policy in the event one of their RAM modules goes bad.

I would order from Crucial, again just to make sure that the RAM modules you got initially weren't good.

Here's the specs for the RAM you need for your iMac model.

Memory Slots4 - 204-pin PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

Crucial guarantees complete compatibilty.

Try them one more time.

Good Luck!

Jun 13, 2013 2:12 AM in response to kyoto-james

Ok, sry that it took so long, but heres my end of story:

1. my logic board was damaged. It couldn´t handle more that 2GB DIMMs... None producer. Not even ones that did work in a similar model.

The first new logicboard delivered by Apple was damaged as well.

The last one only accepts up to 4x4GB. but ONLY Apple Original!

So, what the TechGuy made some calls. He found out that Samsung ( Who also provide original Apple DIMMS) did change some specifications over the last years in the new charges / production runs..

Some older 8 GB DIMMS up to 32GB might still work, but most of the new charges only fit specifications up to what Apple tells u: Max 16GB in the i5, 32GB in the i7...

Overall, we did try several different producers of the RAM. All the same results.

In States u might have easy ways to try out even more.

And btw, CRUCIAL as well only garanties up to 16GB... check out the HP.

32Gb would have been nice, but 16GB aint that bad.

Crazy thing: 4x4Gb Samsung-Apple Original are way more expensiv then 4x8GB Samsung normal order. At least they didnt charge me extra....

Hope the info helps.

Cheers

Jun 13, 2013 8:00 AM in response to Michael.Cologne

Do you have extended 3-year AppleCare to cover the costs of the logic board failure?

Glad everything has been cleared up and you are up and running.

FYI,

OWC (macsales.com) here in the States, does thorough testing to determine if more RAM can be installed than just what Apple's recommended max. is stated.

They have determined and tested that the i5 and i7 models can reliably take up to 32 GBs of RAM.

Users of iMacs of the same model as you have been able to successfully install 32 GBs of RAM into their iMacs.

Your iMac somehow became an exception to this rule.

And yes, Apple charges more than double for the Samsung RAM.

That is why many users, myself included, sware by Crucial or OWC because the RAM is supposed to work, Is thoroughly tested to work and is a lot cheaper than Apple to install more RAM.

Crucial and OWC have been reliable Mac RAM suppliers for a very long time.

Sorry that your iMac somehow can't run the additonal RAM.

16 GBs of RAM is still pretty good. I run this in my 2009, 27 inch screen iMac.

It's pretty snappy.

Jun 13, 2013 8:16 AM in response to Michael.Cologne

Michael.Cologne,

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, I am not trying to run over 16GB. I would be happy with anything more than the 4GB (SAMSUNG) I am currently running! So far, I have purchased / tried 8 Gigs of CRUCIAL and 8 Gigs of MUSHKIN:

SAMSUNG + CRUCIAL = boots but applications crash. memtest crashes whole computer

SAMSUNG + MUSHKIN = boots but applications crash. memtest crashes whole computer

CRUCIAL = MUSHKIN = black screen / kernel panic on boot

only CRUCIAL = black screen / kernel panic on boot

only MUSHKIN = black screen / kernel panic on boot

only SAMSUNG = passes memtest, no errors

The computer works fine with the original RAM but appears to be unupgradeable. No Applecare, but it's three years since I bought it anyway.

Jun 13, 2013 8:17 AM in response to MichelPM

Michel.PM,

Thanks for your response. I didn't buy the RAM online, I had to make a trek out to a computer shop (twice!). I can't return the CRUCIAL as I foolishly took the sticker off and they won't accept it. I may be able to return the MUSHKIN. I don't want to go all the way out there again, so I will try again now in the vain hopes that it was not seated correctly before.

iMac11,3 27", i5 Mid 2010 - 16GB/32GB RAM Logic Board

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.