Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set the border preferences when formatting cells in Numbers? After I make my selections and close the drop down menu, nothing happens.

How do I set border preferences when formatting cells in Numbers? When I use the drop down menu under Inspector, and set the preferences I want, a blue line shows up in the appropriate cell or cells to which I want to apply a border. When I close the menu, the blue line goes away and there is no border.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 10:50 AM

Are you sure this is in ios numbers? When selecting the cells in ios version, then using the menu to select the style, it shows up without a hitch, so i cannot reproduce the issue. I don't see ios or any ios device in your profile, so I am wondering if this is for the desktop version.

Jason

19 replies

Apr 27, 2013 3:19 PM in response to MacProMichael

Michael,

In Numbers there are two preliminary steps to be taken prior to changing cell borders; 1. Select a range of cells and 2. Select the border pattern within the selection that you wish to apply a change to. You seem to be doing these two things, but this is only the preparation. Now you must actually change a setting, such as line type, line weight, or color, or any combination of those. When you are done, click away from the selection. Many new users assume that the first two steps will change something, but this is not the case with Numbers.

Jerry

Sep 26, 2013 2:00 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

After reading several posts on this, it is still not explained correctly on how to (if it is at all possible, some say it is) select non-contiguous cells, be able to select a specific border edge (right, left, top, or bottom), and then change its settings. Currently, selecting non-contiguos cells and changing border settings applies to the entire border edge (outside edges), and not select edge(s). Is this even possible?

In God's Harmony

Sep 26, 2013 2:24 PM in response to rawsaxy

rawsaxy wants to know "how to (if it is at all possible, some say it is) select non-contiguous cells, be able to select a specific border edge (right, left, top, or bottom), and then change its settings."

Not possible, as can be seen here:

User uploaded file

Note that with two non-contiguous cells selected, all choices applying to cells or groups of cells are greyed.

Regards,

Barry

Sep 26, 2013 3:16 PM in response to Barry

Barry,

That's what I thought. I kept getting the same results you displayed no matter what combination of cells. Another issue I have with Numbers is the inability to have more than 5 headers to freeze. I've sent feedback for several functions to be available in Numbers over the years. I guess I will continue to use OpenOffice.

Thanks for the confirmation, Barry.

In God's Harmony

Sep 26, 2013 3:41 PM in response to rawsaxy

"I've sent feedback for several functions to be available in Numbers over the years."

Feature additions don't usually occur during updates; only with upgrdes to a new version. Apple has indicated they will be releasing new versions of the iWork applications later this year, so you may see results from some of your feedback then.

I wouldn't expect an increase in the number of header rows possible. In the current version, multiple header rows or collumns and multiple footers are known brakes on calculations in Numbers tables.

As for continuing to use OpenOffice (or one of the other similar applications), the best advice is to use the tool that fits the job. If you need the functions omitted from Numbers (and available in OOo), then OpenOffice is the tool that fits.

Regards,

Barry

Sep 30, 2013 8:37 AM in response to Yellowbox

Ian,

I appreciate the response, but I am aware that the Inspector can do as you stated. What I wanted to do, and is not possible, is to select the specific cell border(s).

User uploaded file

As you can see, all is selectable except "Cell Borders". As I mentioned to Barry, I have the need to be able to select specific border(s), and be able to have more than 5 headers to freeze. Both functions are allowed in my other program. If iWork ever implements these and other omitted functions that are integrated into what I am currently using, then I will make the move to Numbers exclusively. There are, however, functions that are possible in Numbers that are not available (at least not easily) in OpenOffice. One such ability is to split a cell. The split cells function in the other programs functions quite differently. Although I'm not 100% satisfied with the "merge/split" functions of eotehr program, I do prefer the way Numbers handles it.

In God's Harmony

Sep 30, 2013 9:43 AM in response to rawsaxy

Hi rawsaxy,

I see that you are using Inspector > Table.

Inspector > Table treats the whole Table as one object.

I used Inspector > Graphic.

Inspector > Graphic treats each selected cell as an individual object.

be able to have more than 5 headers to freeze.

Not a good idea. That will slow down calculations.

One such ability is to split a cell. The split cells function in the other programs functions quite differently.

Not a good idea to split (or merge) cells in any spreadsheet app.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours in Numbers,

Ian.

Sep 30, 2013 11:11 AM in response to Yellowbox

Ian,

Thanks, but as I said, I am interested in "Cell Borders" as in only a specific side of th cell, not the entire border (left, right, top, or bottom). What you mention I understand well, but it affects the entire border (all four sides). It does not allow to select a certain side of the border as they are grayed out as shown in my graphic.

I have a spread sheet set up with more than 5 headers due to how I have it designed, and my calculations are not slowed down. I have it set up so that the top portion of the spread sheet shows the total of several categories for income. As I input information, and select the category I want it in, the top portion of the page updates and has the total results, as well as sub-totals per category. I have that top portion frozen so that it is visible as I scroll down. I have several sheets within that overall file, so that those top categories also populate as data is entered among the other sheets. It works perfectly for me in OpenOffice with no slow down in calculations.

It could be that if the calculations needed are extensive, complicated, and in the thousands, that it might not be suitable to use my set-up. But, for me, it works as I want it to with no problems.

In God's Harmony

Sep 30, 2013 12:50 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerry,

I'm sorry for the intrusion on this thread. I had only made a simple comment, and then others responded. It was not my intention, especially since the original question was marked as answered. I will direct responses to any comments I make in fture postings that deviate from the OP's question to a newly created topic if I need a response, if not, I will just add a statement at the end of my comments to please not respond.

As to your diagram, it is the ability to select the non-contiguous cells, and then be able to simulataneously select a specific part of the border edge, and then be able to change them all at once that I was after. That is something that is not possible in Numbers. It seems that in your diagram the "before", was attained by selecting each cell one at a time, and changing its border edge, one at a time. Then, in the "after", selecting the non-contiguous cells and changing the "Stroke" settings for the lines was attained simultaneously since that is possible in Numbers.

If I am correct in how you attained the results in your diagram, that wasn't really what I was trying to achieve, since if the option were not grayed out, it would only select the same border edge on all selected cells. If I am incorrect, then I would like to have your input.

Once again, sorry for allowing my comment to develop as it did.

In God's Harmony

Sep 30, 2013 1:06 PM in response to rawsaxy

As I read you, Numbers doesn't do what you want. It's not difficult to do what I demonstrated, and of course that could get you to your objective, just not in the way you want to do it.

Numbers isn't the Swiss Army Knife that Excel and it's clones are. We take it as-is. Apple accepts suggestions and feature requests via the Feedback tool in the Numbers menu, but it seems that not many of them make the cut.

Jerry

How do I set the border preferences when formatting cells in Numbers? After I make my selections and close the drop down menu, nothing happens.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.