Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did you get rid of iPod nano 6th generation? This was the perfect ipod for travel, gym etc.., Why did you get rid of iPod nano 6th generation? This was the perfect ipod for travel, gym etc..

The ipod nano 6th genration was one of the perfect apple products. Why did you replace it:

1) 7th generation is not a clip on

2) the new ipod shuffle cannot view the music/library and there is no radio

Apple what were you thinking ?

iPhoto '11

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 3:27 PM

23 replies

Apr 26, 2013 4:15 PM in response to golgol9

Actually, I personally hated the 6th gen nano. It didn't make sense for a clip-on iPod to have a touch screen, because you have to look at where it is clipped to use it awkwardly, or unclip it and hold it awkwardly to use it, even to do something simple like Next Song. It has an odd square screen that can't play videos anymore. The best way to wear one is as a wrist watch... and THAT may point to a clue for why it was changed... 😉

The 7th gen nano is a MUCH better iPod.

And the iPod shuffle is the ideal clip-on iPod, BECAUSE it has no screen and you can use it by feel, without having to look at it at all.

Apr 30, 2013 2:49 PM in response to golgol9

Obviously, you are wrong and make stupid assumptions about people you do not know... And can't seem to handle an opposing opinion very gracefully. 🙂

I'm a running nut. I use a 5th gen nano currently, which I carry in my hand so that I can easily control it as needed without looking at it very much, or making any unnecessary movement that disrupts my running motion, just to reach for it clipped on my clothes somewhere. I can hear the ongoing Nike+iPod voice tell me the "statistics" for my run, pause/resume workout, skip song, change volume, etc. without any distractions. I would go nuts if I had to look down at where my iPod was clipped to do basic things that I do a dozen time during a run. I would probably trip over something and get hurt.

Also, clipping it to sweaty clothes will cause moisture damage over time, and shorten the iPod's life.

I would be able to use the 7th gen nano mostly the same way. It has a touch screen, but there are buttons along the side for controlling functions, usable by feel alone.

Apr 30, 2013 9:32 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

No profanities! I used the 6th generation religiously had a radio as well as the ability to manage the music by actually seeing what's playing. The current ipod shuffle is a clip on!!!! and the 7th generation has a touch screen similiar to the 6th but no clips. If you are worried about how the sweat would damage it over time, holding in your hand is not very smart!!!!! and clipping it on your shirt and running will not make you trip. Your agrument makes no sense to me.

Apr 30, 2013 10:39 PM in response to golgol9

Profanities? LOL

I'm not making an "argument." I'm stating my opinion. And it make PERFECT sense... That's why Apple did what it did, to change the design, because the old 6th gen design, while cute and interesting, was sort of a usability nightmare. It's designed as a clip-on, yet you have to look at the screen to use it. If you hold it to use it, it is awkward. The ONLY good way to use it was as a wristwatch.

FYI - Holding my nano in my hand while running is the perfect place to keep it dry, out in the moving air, not clipped onto my sweaty shirt or shorts, where I have to LOOK DOWN to use it. A shuffle is MUCH better as a clip-on, because I can use it by feel, and not take my eyes away from where I'm putting my feet. So, it's a safety issue and a usability issue. Of all the iPods, the 6th gen nano is my second least favorite design, with the 3rd gen iPod shuffle (with no control buttons) as the only iPod below it.

May 3, 2013 11:23 AM in response to golgol9

What do you mean... They DID make the 7th gen a slightly bigger version of the 6th gen with no clip. It is slightly bigger because it now has a larger more-useable rectangular screen (that can play videos again), instead of that silly small square screen. 🙂 And it is MUCH thinner now, because there is no clip on the back.

All i am asking for is the clip!

Just buy one of many cases for the 7th gen nano, that has a clip. For example

http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Quick-Clip-Case-Generation/dp/B009V8MQHM

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Ultra-Matte-Black-Generation/dp/B009Z3SVRM

Or an armband if you want to keep it away from sweaty workout clothing

http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-generation-Protector-organizer-September/dp/B008U KAY5I

There are many choices. If the nano has a built-in clip, there is NO choice, especially for people who think a clip-on nano with a touchscreen was not very high on usability.

May 3, 2013 2:32 PM in response to golgol9

My "argument" is "all over the place" because it makes sense on so MANY levels of logical reasoning. 🙂

Have you actually even touched the new nano by going to an Apple Store? Watching videos on it is a pretty decent experience. I wouldn't use it that way personally, because I can't watch videos, chew gum, and run at the same time. But for someone who sits on a bus or train for one hour to commute, it is a good feature to have. Of course it's better on an iPad or Mac or Apple TV, but we're not sitting in a comfy environment all the time.

Previous nanos from 3rd gen to 7th gen could play videos, EXCEPT for the 6th gen, because of its odd screen shape. The older nanos had even smaller screens.

May 5, 2013 2:23 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks for your feedback and comments I am still not convinced of your point of view. I have been purchasing and personally using apple ipods (nanos/shuffles etc) since they first came to market so as a user I know what I am talking about. Your argument, with all respect, makes no sense as it seems you are playing the devil's advocate . You jump from wires, to sweat to now sitting in a comfy environment!!! So let's agree to disagree. And if Apple wants to maintain its market share it had better start listening to its customers.

Why did you get rid of iPod nano 6th generation? This was the perfect ipod for travel, gym etc.., Why did you get rid of iPod nano 6th generation? This was the perfect ipod for travel, gym etc..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.