Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my dvd player all of sudden say "supported disc not available" for dvds i have played in the past

My dvd player has been displaying "support disc not available" for all dvd's that i put in that just weeks ago were playing fine. ive tried cleaning the player and that did nothing...dont know what to do

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2013 9:31 PM

16 replies

Apr 28, 2013 1:26 PM in response to ekh5

Is that "DVD Player," the application to play DVD movies, and you are trying to play movie discs? Or are you refertring the optical drive as a "DVD player" and the problem is with ALL discs that you insert?

If you have only been trying movie discs, what happens if you insert a "data" disc, such as a software installation disc? Or a music CD?

Apr 29, 2013 3:50 PM in response to ekh5

These are standard DVD movie disc, and not Blu-ray discs, correct?

Since music CDs work, lets hope the optical drive itself is OK. Open System Preferences CDs & DVDs pane. For the setting When you insert a video DVD, if Open DVD Player is currently selected, try changing it to Ignore.

When you insert a movie DVD now (with DVD Player NOT running), it should just be ignored and mount to the Desktop. Is that what happens? Is so, what happens when you run DVD Player manually and try to play the movie?

Dec 30, 2014 11:34 AM in response to ekh5

Ditto here as well....... Some ""Super Drive""..... New IMac, latest software, and unable to display simple home videos that I copied from a VHS tape to DVD-R. I can play the DVD on a TV using an old DVD player. Tried everything.....AND I MEAN EVERYTHING. Jobs is shaking his head over the lack of support and compatibility. Add to that the dumping of Aperture and IPhoto.....hummmmmmm

Dec 30, 2014 6:31 PM in response to Roaming

I'm having the same problem lately. I have a mid 2010 21.5" iMac with an internal SuperDrive running Yosemite. I tried putting in "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" and "The Giver" rented from RedBox. Both spin sputter for a bit and then eject the disk back out. So, it never mounts and no software (Finder, Disk Utility, DVD Player) ever gets a chance to see it. Both play fine in a 15 year old DVD player, and my purchased copy of "The Dark Knight" mounts just fine in the iMac. So, I have to assume that something is being done to the DVD's that rental companies are given to prevent them from mounting or something.

Not having any luck on Google trying to confirm that.

I guess I need to amend this. Both DVD's play fine in a early 2011 13" Macbook Pro with the internal SuperDrive. It's running Mavericks still and has a "MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-8A8". The iMac has a "OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H". Not sure if it's the drive, the OS, or what (although I will say I'm fairly certain I was having this problem on the iMac before Yosemite, so it's probably not the OS).

Mar 24, 2015 8:54 PM in response to ekh5

I have the same problem. Stock iMac, no mods. Plays standard (purchased) DVDs, CD-Rs, music, etc. Will not play Redbox DVDs--drive makes a few spin-up sounds and ejects the disk after 10 seconds or so... If I manually open DVDPlayer, it gives me the "Supported Disk Not Available" error.

Anyone have any useful information regarding this particular problem???

why does my dvd player all of sudden say "supported disc not available" for dvds i have played in the past

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.