Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad randomly shuts off (goes black) returns to lock screen

When I'm using any App the screen goes blank at random times and it's intermittent. I have to unlock the iPad to get back in. Any ideas why this would happen?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 7, 2013 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 2:35 PM

My iPad is now working as it should; there are no more issues with the screen randomly going black! Here is what fixed the problem I was having. The first thing I did (again) was go into "Settings" to double check how each option was set-up; here is the path:

1. Settings

2. General

3. LOCK / UNLOCK - I TURNED OFF this option (made sure it was NOT GREEN)

Once I did this it no longer randomly shut off. If I understand correctly, a simple hand motion waving over the screen when it's turned on will cause it to shut off because it's supposed to; it's sensitive. Now it shuts off automatically according to the time I've determined in the Settings OR I shut it off manually with a click of the button on the side of the iPad.

I hope this helps everyone.

Thanks for all of your input!

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2013 2:35 PM in response to cindie47

My iPad is now working as it should; there are no more issues with the screen randomly going black! Here is what fixed the problem I was having. The first thing I did (again) was go into "Settings" to double check how each option was set-up; here is the path:

1. Settings

2. General

3. LOCK / UNLOCK - I TURNED OFF this option (made sure it was NOT GREEN)

Once I did this it no longer randomly shut off. If I understand correctly, a simple hand motion waving over the screen when it's turned on will cause it to shut off because it's supposed to; it's sensitive. Now it shuts off automatically according to the time I've determined in the Settings OR I shut it off manually with a click of the button on the side of the iPad.

I hope this helps everyone.

Thanks for all of your input!

May 8, 2013 6:09 AM in response to cindie47

Try this:

Make sure IOS is updated to latest version

(How to update your iOS device

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623)

Reboot device by pressing both the home button and sleep/wake (power) buttons at the same time for 10-15 seconds until the apple logo appears on the screen, then let go.

If that doesn't work then reset the device by going to settings/general/reset/reset all settings (or for network connection issues 'reset network settings').

(no media or data will be deleted from the device, this will only take a minute).

If that doesn't work then backup and then restore the device as new first (to isolate cause of the issue). Then from backup if necessary.

How to back up and restore (iCloud and iTunes)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Oct 31, 2013 12:44 AM in response to Txsizeranfan

This has been happening to my iPad mini and only started about a week or two ago... This after about two or three weeks of iOS 7. I have tried everything even down to the full restore and that has not solved the issue... I was planning on going in to the apple store tomorrow... Mine just restarts randomly and occasionally goes really bright or dark right before or after.. I think it's an iOS problem but i suppose it could be my device...

Dec 7, 2013 6:47 AM in response to cindie47

Thank you! Your response was the first that made sense and actually corrected my issue...:) I have been experiencing the same issue and have diligently been proactively looking for a solution that made sense based on what was occurring and when. It just didn't make sense to me that it was a glitch or problem that would take a full restore to default...it had to be more simple...and it was!

Thank you!

Dec 22, 2013 6:46 PM in response to cindie47

Just want to add that the LOCK/UNLOCK disable completely solved my problem with the I Pad 2 shutting off unexpectedly. Unfortunately I had made two appointments at the Genius Bar but in both visits this solution was not offered. I've had no issues since I disabled the lock but don't forget to shut off with the top button because when you close the cover the unit will stay on and won't shut down until it reaches the time you have set for "auto lock".

Thank you!

Feb 7, 2014 4:56 PM in response to cindie47

Thanks for your suggestion, I can live without the auto off/on feature but wasted a lot of time taking my ipad to service centers in china and doing restores that apple suggested... Why didn't they suggest this to me instead of having to search their own forums to find out what they should have told me one of the many times I talked to them on the phone?

Feb 23, 2014 3:08 AM in response to cindie47

I have removed the lock screen setting but did still logs every 5 to 10 minutes. I also get the complete widescreen with the Apple logo and have to press the on off button which then makes the screen go black and then when I press the home button and the lock screen comes on. I switched all manners of lock screen off even the option that when you close the iPad cover that the magnet does not close and start the lock screen even that is switched off.

Every five minutes or 10, my iPad still locks even though it's told to Knobloch as in, never.

It's not a simple setting matter except perhaps for some of you. But there are thousands of iPad users including me with this iPad Air which I just bought two months ago, who are still getting the black on white screen of temporary death.

My theory is that half of the reason the iPad is so powerful is that it's tiny brain is helped by lots of little energy savers such as the thing in Safari with deactivate any flash our YouTube videos until you click on them which is actually totally bothersome to me because it deactivates all of the rich media content within website which is particularly what you want to see.

Anyway basically the iPad is made to look a lot more powerful than it really is and so if you multitask our use certain kinds of apps memory outage will begin to happen and you will get these lock screens or white or black screens it is because of memory outage

iPad randomly shuts off (goes black) returns to lock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.