Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine on QNAP

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I have been looking and cannot find the a solution

I have been running my time machine with no problems for a year or so with my imac and air on a qnap NAS

All software firmware is latest

I added a macbook a few weeks ago and soon after that it all stopped working

I think I might have messed with passowrds and made a silly error but my attempts to fix have got me into a real mess!

I have deleted all backups on NAS and restarted time machine but when i try to reconnect on imac i just get a spinning disk

I think I need to start completly again and make my macs completely forget i ever had a time machine connection

I have tried using tmutil although I am not sure I was doing this right

But i cannot get beyond a spinning disk......getting a bit frantic now so any help appreciated

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 9, 2013 3:16 PM

11 replies

May 13, 2013 7:16 PM in response to philx

philx wrote:

. . .

I have deleted all backups on NAS and restarted time machine but when i try to reconnect on imac i just get a spinning disk

I think I need to start completly again and make my macs completely forget i ever had a time machine connection

You might want to try a "full reset" of Time Machine, per #A4 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

But note that a lot of folks are having trouble with QNAP NASs and Time Machine. Some seem to have it working fairly well, but others are having a number of problems, especially finding the backups corrupted on the monthly verification procedure and having to start over. There's some speculation it's using an old version of NetaTalk, but I don't have one and don't know if that's true or not.

I understand they recently released a new version of their software, but have also seen a couple of posts saying it's actually worse. It may vary, of course, depending on conditions. A few reverted to the previous version.

May 13, 2013 7:26 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Time Machine backups are not supported on network storage (except Time Capsule).

That's not exactly so.

AppleCare (and Apple Stores) don't support it, meaning, they don't have access to the hardware so can't test, much less replicate problems so the software gurus can find the problem. There are a whole lot of NAS makes, models, and software versions, so supporting them in that sense would require all sorts of hardware and training. The same is true of printers, scanners, U.P.S. systems, and the like.

But they are supported in the sense that Apple publishes the specifications for developers. If the NAS maker implements AFP file sharing and the special requirements for Time Machine properly, it will work. But it's a crapshoot -- when the requirements change, the NAS maker may not have updates available immediately, if at all.

Personally, my suspicion is that making it work well is not a big deal to the NAS makers -- it's just another way to sell hardware. So it will work when they test, but in the real world, when things go wrong, especially when there are power or network problems, their programming may not be doing exactly what TM expects, so all sorts of things may go wrong.

May 14, 2013 3:11 PM in response to Pondini

Thanks for your help Pondini....not solved the problem yet but I think I do need to do the reset.

QNAP are dialing in tomorrow to look at problem so fingers crossed

Actually QNAP support has always been pretty good imho......in fact and I am no expert I think apple lets the side down in its support for NAS especially in itunes. Itunes libraries are now so big in my case I cant really keep them on machines so am forced to look for NAS storage solutions. When your running 3 or 4 macs in a house a 3 TB time capsual does not really scratch the surface...then add TM backups and your a bit stuffed.

I was in Apple store today and their tech guys did not actually dont use apple storage in similar circumstances

Still I just wnat to get my set up working not solve the problems of the world 🙂

May 14, 2013 10:35 PM in response to Pondini

Problem solved

QNAP remote controlled mac and found problem which was the meta data on the server was corrupt!

Time Machine backing up now

In terms of support they resolved problem within 48 hours and it would have been 24 if I had been available to let them into my Mac

Thanks for all those that helped

Time Machine on QNAP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.