Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus Concerns

Hi,

I have an intel iMac, running OSX 10.6.8 and am running Sophos antivirus. We made a purchase from Tesco (very large UK website) as we have a thousand times before. However at the point of submitting credit card details we were redirected and got a message about an invalid certificate for the site. As we were on Tesco, we just accepted the certificate warning in Safari and were redirected to a blank page...I wont put the URL here, but it was something like https://flashtalking. something .... miisolutions.net.

Now the order was placed with tesco. But on checking if flashtalking is some sort of global payment or advertising provider, there is only really talk of flashtalking being related to malware.

I am running a Sophos scan now.

I guess my concern is, could malware cause a redirection to a site at the point of payment and steal the credit card details we just entered? I have contacted Tesco to see if this site is somehow affiliated to them, but have yet to have a response.

Also, is there a way I can boot from a USB drive, stick or rescue DVD and perform a clean scan? Or am I worrying too much??

Regards

i

Posted on May 12, 2013 3:08 AM

10 replies

May 12, 2013 3:48 AM in response to indy2005

Malware is not involved here.

If you could actually post the full link here (without the "https://" part, so it doesn't get turned into a clickable link), that would help us determine what that site is. It looks like there's a company called Flashtalking that is an ad provider, but I'm not sure whether that is the same "flashtalking" as in your URL. There is also an MII Solutions out there, but not on the .net domain. Their address is miisolution.com. They appear legit, though I have no idea why they would be involved here.

Most likely, there was just a bug in an ad script on the page you reached, and that caused the problem.

May 12, 2013 3:49 AM in response to seventy one

Hi,

Yes the order was confirmed. The concern now is malware somehow intercepting the transaction, and my mac being infected. We will inform the credit card company we have a concern, I dont expect too much of a response from Tesco.

Just looked at the source code for the purchasing page in Chrome, and at the final paying screen cant see any references to that website as part of the redirection URLs.

Do you know if I can boot from USB or a rescue disk and perform a virus scan from a clean boot? Can't seem to see any documentation on the Sophos site.

May 12, 2013 3:58 AM in response to indy2005

Follow Thomas Reed's advice. You are lucky he was looking in at the time.

I don't think you should think so negatively about Tesco. They are a major company; they cannot afford to have internet ordering problems. Pursue their technical department subject to what Thomas helps you discover.

I suppose it is too early to have received the goods (which is after all, the ultimate proof of your order being successful).

May 12, 2013 7:11 AM in response to indy2005

Usually if you know what you are looking for, Sophos will dig out what is on your system and you can delete it. Thomas will come back, but it is Sunday and some people have family obligations and are less available then.

I don't know of that particular name, flashtalking, and if Thomas cannot condemn it then it is likely not to be a problem. As a guide, here is a paper he wrote about Malware.

Thomas' Corner : Mac Malware Guide

May 12, 2013 7:16 AM in response to indy2005

That site appears to be clean, from what I can tell, as does the origins.flashtalking.com site referred to on that page. None of this is related to malware of any kind.

If you are still concerned and need to set your mind at ease, just do a scan with Sophos. Note that there is absolutely no need to do a clean boot for this purpose on a Mac.

For more on the topic of malware, see my Mac Malware Guide:

http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg

Virus Concerns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.