Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dvd and CD drive not working it will not accept any disc

i mac has not being accepting any disc for a couple of weeks i need it to work

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on May 12, 2013 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 2:03 PM

I found a lot of people on the internet were complaining about the same issue and discounting the first crazy (so i thought) bit of advice I read I set about reinstalling drivers, rebooting, reinstalling Snow Leopard, PRAM reset, deleting permissions etc etc to no avail. So as a last resort, totally fed up at this point and resigned to buying a new DVD drive / Macbook I remembered the first bit of advice I read.

I took out my Tesco Clubcard, wrapped it in a Vision Express lense cloth, jammed it about 3 cm's in to the optical drive slot and wiggled it about a bit. I couldn't beleive the amount of crud that came out of it. I used the same method with several baby wipes and guess what...

It worked!!!

I can now play all my DVD's and CD's

Wish I'd just done this in the first place.

Matt

62 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2014 2:03 PM in response to yazg1

I found a lot of people on the internet were complaining about the same issue and discounting the first crazy (so i thought) bit of advice I read I set about reinstalling drivers, rebooting, reinstalling Snow Leopard, PRAM reset, deleting permissions etc etc to no avail. So as a last resort, totally fed up at this point and resigned to buying a new DVD drive / Macbook I remembered the first bit of advice I read.

I took out my Tesco Clubcard, wrapped it in a Vision Express lense cloth, jammed it about 3 cm's in to the optical drive slot and wiggled it about a bit. I couldn't beleive the amount of crud that came out of it. I used the same method with several baby wipes and guess what...

It worked!!!

I can now play all my DVD's and CD's

Wish I'd just done this in the first place.

Matt

May 12, 2013 8:24 AM in response to yazg1

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

and NVRAM and PRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Then if it is still not working, Contact Apple Support or your local Apple Authorized Service Provider and make an appointment to have the CD/DVD Drive serviced.

May 12, 2013 9:16 AM in response to yazg1

Another help source (if you haven't already done so).

Go to your OS Help Menu. In the search field type dvd

Click on all the troubleshooting topics & Support Articles that pertain to your issue.

You can also do the same in Disk Utility. Open same up.

At the bottom left of the window, click on the purple button w/the "?" in the middle.

This will bring up the Help Menu.

===============

Try a different brand. Top forum favorites

CDs

FUJI

TDK

Verbatim

DVDs

Maxell

Verbatim

Make sure the DVDs are not dirty, smudged and/or scratched.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50448
How to Handle and Clean CD and DVD Discs

Your drive may need cleaning. Cleaning kits can be purchased from any store that sells CD/DVDs.

User uploaded file

dvd and CD drive not working it will not accept any disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.