Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari opens with a small screen, how to I make it full screen?

need help with making safari open in full screen

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on May 14, 2013 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 4:14 AM

My screen opens small every time. I have to expand it every time I open Safari. It used to open full screen---?

11 replies

Jan 13, 2014 9:31 AM in response to TildeBee

Using command-control-F only works once for me. The next time Safari is opened, it goes right back to a small window in the upper right of the screen; so small that it's unusable. Deleting ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db also makes no difference.

For me, the solution was to:

1.) Open Safari.

2.) Click on the green button.

3.) Quit Safari.

4.) Open Safari and the window will be maximized.

If you do anything in Safari after clicking the green button (step two above) then this fix will not work. This fix will not cause Safari to open to full screen mode (i.e., the result that you'll get by clicking the two arrows in the upper right of a windo in Safari). It causes Safari to open in the largest possible window for your display.

Dec 16, 2013 9:13 PM in response to limodriver

My old Macbook Pro (the version before the retina display) always opened not only safari, but all of the other things I used in full screen. I just got the newest Macbook Pro since my old one got stolen, and this one won't even open iTunes in full screen automatically...I'm thinking it is because my old laptop had Mountain Lion OS, and these new ones have this new one called Mavericks. Could be wrong, but my old laptop did that, and now that there is this new OS it doesnt.

This is off subject, but Apple just told me I can order an older model of the Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion on it if I return this. Definitely returning this thing for the older model

Message was edited by: ConnorO114

safari opens with a small screen, how to I make it full screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.