Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad OS Disk 2

I have a G5 Power PC with a burnt hard drive. I installed another hard drive (that worked fine the last time I used it). I used the original grey OS X Tiger 10.4.2 disks, but disk 2 has some scratches and the installation process stopped.

I've attempted to clean the disk with no luck. I've installed a downloaded version of Tiger onto a 16G thumb, and used Disk Utility to make it bootable. However, holding the option key upon bootup does not bring up a boot options menu. In fact, most keys you hold down for different boot options do not work. The only that seemed to work was CMD V for verbose mode.

When I attempt to boot, either holding or not holding down keys for boot options, I get one of two results. It either returns to the installation process and asks for disk 2, or it presents me with a screen showing two buttons (a round arrow which I assume means Go Back and a right pointing arrow which must be Next) and an icon of a disk with an X on it.

Questions: Do I have a G5 model that does not allow booting from a thumb drive? Why doesn't it present a boot options menu when I hold the option key? What options do I have to get Tiger installed on this machine?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on May 16, 2013 2:10 AM

10 replies

May 20, 2013 11:11 AM in response to Dannerino

Apple has not released a downloadable copy of tiger. You have an illegal copy. May contain malware.

Only a few models of the G5 boot from USB.

There may be a lifetime warrenty on the media. Check with apple.

Restore Tiger 10.4 & Leopard 10.5 DVDs are available from Apple by calling 800-767-2775 as of January 20, 2013. Have your serial number ready. Have your credit card ready too. There is a small fee.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4720126?tstart=0

Robert

May 23, 2013 12:34 AM in response to rccharles

I will go with the restore DVD option.

In the meantime, it seems the iMac only boots to the continuation of the previous install. Is this by design? And if so, what do I do when I have the Tiger restore disk in hand? Or, more importantly (to me anyway as someone always looking to learn more), is there a method to bypass/cancel/skip the previous install when I fire it up?

May 23, 2013 11:32 AM in response to Dannerino

However, holding the option key upon bootup does not bring up a boot options menu. In fact, most keys you hold down for different boot options do not work.

or it presents me with a screen showing two buttons (a round arrow which I assume means Go Back and a right pointing arrow which must be Next) and an icon of a disk with an X on it.

This is the startup menu which you are calling "boot options menu" I assume.

I assume means which is refresh boot menu

right pointing arrow which is to initiate boot.

The startup manager will list all of your bootable partitions then give you a choice of which to boot.

Try holding down the option key then power on. This brings up the startup manager. Click on your hd. Click on right arrow key.

I should have commented on the above earlier.

Let's get the exact machine you have.

Query by serial number

Apple's warrenty database will identify the type of Mac you have. Your serial number is securely sent, but you get only the name of your machine.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

This site provides more information, but lacks security.

"A serial number is a unique, identifying number or group of numbers and letters assigned to an individual piece of hardware or software. It's used for various things depending on the product / brand but what is your Mac's serial number for and more importantly... what is it hiding and what can it do for you ?"

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

learn more), is there a method to bypass/cancel/skip the previous install when I fire it up?

Sure. Place dvd in drive. I like to get startup menu.

The startup manager will list all of your bootable partitions then give you a choice of which to boot.

Try holding down the option key then power on. This brings up the startup manager. Click on your hd. Click on right arrow key.

Robert

May 23, 2013 5:01 PM in response to Dannerino

I was interested on information about your machine.

When I went to the site I got information like this:

User uploaded file

copy & paste

--------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------

How to show us a screen image. Avoid personal identification.

command + shift + 3 Will take entire screen. You hear a click.

command + shift + 4 Lets you decide what to take. Mouse pointer changes. Move mouse to upper left corner of desire image. Hold down left mouse key where to start image. Drag mouse to lower left of where you want to stop image. Release mouse.

You will get a picture n.png file on the desktop.

one the forum input panel you will see the camera icon.

User uploaded file

click on camera icon.

another window will appear.

Make sure you have selected the from your computer tab.

click on Browse button

An open file panel appears. Select the file.

After selection a file, I have this screen showing.

User uploaded file

You will have to click on Insert Image. You may have to scroll down to see Insert Image button.

May 25, 2013 8:14 AM in response to rccharles

I tried a few things and here's what happened:

Holding down option, then pressing power

The boot menu appeared, the HD had an X on it (no surprise)

Clicked the back button, nothing happened

Clicked the forward button, got the apple logo screen and it froze there

Held down shift, then power

White blank screen

Held option, then power, then inserted OS disk 1

Disk ejected at boot menu

Reinserted, ejected again

Clicked back and reinserted, boot menu appeared

HD and CD Rom had Xs

Hardware test was available, everything passed

Restarted, option key down

Boot menu, HD with X

Hit back and inserted CD again

Ejected this time, boot menu with X

----------------

I'd like to restart the installation, just to see something different. Or, any other ideas for my next step?

May 25, 2013 8:21 AM in response to Dannerino

Duh, perhaps if I held the option key on restart after doing the hardware test, and insert the disk, it would show. Yep, it did. And perhaps, once it appears, X or no X on it, if I press the forward button...

It brought me to the installer. I ran in here to post, am going to try to choose minimal install options (if I even have those choices) and see if I can avoid the need for disk 2. It's a hair brained idea, but it's something, for now.

Bad OS Disk 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.