Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 heating up and losing battery life fast...

My iphone 5 is starting to heat up while in my pocket and while not being used at all whereas the battery now last for no more than 5 hours. Is this a common problem, can it be fixed or is my iPhone 5 faulty? Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted on May 23, 2013 1:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2013 8:57 AM

Hello Igor,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I would be concerned too if my iPhone were heating up and losing battery life quickly. There are a few articles I found that might help with what you are experiencing on your iPhone.

The first thing I recommend is quitting open applications. You can find an article with the steps to that here:

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5137

If you are still experiencing the same issues on the iPhone after quitting all the apps that are currently open, follow the steps below:

Battery life seems short

1. Click ( www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html) for tips on how to prolong iPhone's battery life.
  2. Try turning iPhone off and then on again.
  3. Connect iPhone to iTunes and restore iPhone.
  4. If the screen shows a low-battery image, the battery is low on power and needs to charge for up to ten minutes before you can use it.
  5. When charging iPhone, make sure to leave it charging until it is fully charged. You'll know the battery is fully charged when the battery icon in the upper-right corner of the screen looks like this User uploaded file.
    Note: When charging using a computer, don't connect iPhone to a keyboard. Also, the computer must be turned on and not in sleep or standby mode. If iPhone is connected to a computer that's not turned on or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPhone battery may drain.

You can find the full article here:

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2802

I hope this helps!

Best,

Sheila M.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2013 8:57 AM in response to Igor Zjalic

Hello Igor,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I would be concerned too if my iPhone were heating up and losing battery life quickly. There are a few articles I found that might help with what you are experiencing on your iPhone.

The first thing I recommend is quitting open applications. You can find an article with the steps to that here:

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5137

If you are still experiencing the same issues on the iPhone after quitting all the apps that are currently open, follow the steps below:

Battery life seems short

1. Click ( www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html) for tips on how to prolong iPhone's battery life.
  2. Try turning iPhone off and then on again.
  3. Connect iPhone to iTunes and restore iPhone.
  4. If the screen shows a low-battery image, the battery is low on power and needs to charge for up to ten minutes before you can use it.
  5. When charging iPhone, make sure to leave it charging until it is fully charged. You'll know the battery is fully charged when the battery icon in the upper-right corner of the screen looks like this User uploaded file.
    Note: When charging using a computer, don't connect iPhone to a keyboard. Also, the computer must be turned on and not in sleep or standby mode. If iPhone is connected to a computer that's not turned on or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPhone battery may drain.

You can find the full article here:

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2802

I hope this helps!

Best,

Sheila M.

Jun 7, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Igor Zjalic

After having my iPhone 5 from the get go release, I am now (in just the last week or so) having the same problem. I have quit all open apps, and also turned off "GOOGLE NOW" as I thought its use of locations services may have been responsible, but my battery life is shorter every day and the phone is heating up with little or no use throughout the day, in my pocket, in an area with excellent cellular service, and nearly always in a WiFi connected enviroment.

I suspect some recent app software update, but I update so many apps so frequently I can't pinpont which one it might be.

Aug 29, 2013 4:34 PM in response to Igor Zjalic

I have had the same problem. Not once but several times. Apple replaced my iPhone 5 3 times before agreeing that it was a software issue affecting iPhone 5 running 6.1.4 and thet do not have a solution.

Now, each time iPhone 5 heats up, I restore my iPhone 5 and instead of restoring from back up, manually add the apps I had. I continue to use the phone for several months before it heats up again and I do the whole restore and adding thing all over again. None of the battery saving tips actually helps!

I am an ardent Appple fan and find moving to Android a big hassle as I have gotten used to Apple and all my purchases are there so am putting up with this. Hopefully the iOS7 addrreses this problem once and for all.

Oct 19, 2013 9:39 AM in response to Dolan67

Me too -

Heating up randomly with NO apps open and draining the battery. iPhone 5

I'm going to try resetting as suggested above but didn't really want to do this as it's time consuming re-establishing all the aspps, songs, films etc etc.

I would have liked to have seen Apple acknowledging there is a problem here.

This is my second iphone and I am an experienced user. I don't really want to be told about general battery saving strategies. That's not what this is about.

Bob

Oct 19, 2013 10:44 AM in response to bobjacqs

Try to switch off notificatons, location services and spotlight search, maybe these stuffs not just eats the battery but freezes the phones on ios7! Btw if somebody has battery issues, i recommend to try Battery Doctor free app! After reset my batery, I can use my 5s for two days with one charge, and I streaming music a lot and use 3g a lot and talk a lot! To reset battery you need to let the phone die, wait 8 hour and charge it with Battery Doctor!

Nov 7, 2013 1:13 PM in response to Igor Zjalic

I have had a number of servies disabled prior to having my 5S recently switched out, due to a different issue (logic board). Now, a week later, the 5S is heating up when charging and the battery is draining quickly. I verified that my settings are still intact.

From reading the above and around Google, it sounds like there may be a larger issue happening.

I will return and have it exchanged, again. It's annoying, as I have several passwords I have to re-type in when I do a restore. SMH

Dec 9, 2013 5:55 AM in response to Igor Zjalic

I am using 5s for couple months now. I am seeing the same thing. Most of us already know those battery saving tips and kill all app buisness. This is my third iphone they get hot with heavy use. Odd thing about 5s is it gets hot with minimal use even if u switch screen off kill all apps put in aero plane mode nothing happens. Phone stays hot and loses 10-20% in same amount of minutes when it is shut off and aero plane mode. I use wifi don't use lte much. This all is happening on wifi. Apple ppl are ignoring these threads so bad. I don't care I have a Mac or iPad or iPhone I'm not buying any apple product in future. That's why Samsung is stealing their business because they deserve this. Just sitting on their billions dollars not giving a clarification. Rip Steve jobs hope u r not able to see all this.

Dec 9, 2013 2:55 PM in response to Igor Zjalic

Try updating your carrier settings. This is a huge problem due to 2G/3G/4G/LTE migration. Go to settings.>general>about and wait for an update (connected through wifi). If you see a message from the carrier, accept it. If you don't see it, look for the version of the carrier at the same screen, call your carrier and ask for the last version or a reset in your line/account. Hope this helps!

Dec 9, 2013 3:25 PM in response to Igor Zjalic

Thanks for the insight bro. I am not sure if replying to me or Someone else. I don't have cellular(3G/LTE) on most of times then y will that be problem ? I turn cellular on for 15-20 minutes when on road small city guy. At home and office wifi. So for my small brain very hard to understand that be a problem to over heat and especially if phone is in aero plane mode still keeps on warming and dropping battery like crazy. Way apple is behaving I Guess apple got 150 bills saved they don't want to make any more:)

iPhone 5 heating up and losing battery life fast...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.