Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Export Format for iDVD to cut down on multiplexing and processing

My processor is what it is and my Ram has been optimized. Is there some video/audio format/ bit rate that will require less time to convert and process?

I understand that MPEG2, mpeg4, H.264, avi, and all seem to take far too long. I prefer using FCPX and Wondershare to do my converting.

Also whenever I have a random burning error its almost always a “multiplexing error” so maybe if I make the “multiplexing” a little easier maybe I can prevent that headache.

Any thoughts about inve$ting in the fastest burners available? Isn’t the actual “burn” process the very last step that usually only takes about 2 minutes anyway?

Thank you in advance!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2x3 Ghz duel core, (24 GB Mem)

Posted on May 27, 2013 11:08 PM

5 replies

Jun 5, 2013 1:51 AM in response to KidVid

KidVid wrote:

My processor is what it is and my Ram has been optimized. Is there some video/audio format/ bit rate that will require less time to convert and process?

All depends on what format you need for what purpose. If you need a DVD it'll have to be MPEG-2 or for web use it'll have to be h.264. Other than that there are tons of codecs and containers available. All conversion takes time and to cut down on that time you will need a faster machine.

KidVid wrote:

Also whenever I have a random burning error its almost always a “multiplexing error” so maybe if I make the “multiplexing” a little easier maybe I can prevent that headache.

To avoid burn errors in iDVD create a disk image of your project, test that image file with DVD Player, and, if satisfied, burn with any dedicated disc burning app at no more than 4x to avoid errors.

KidVid wrote:

Any thoughts about inve$ting in the fastest burners available? Isn’t the actual “burn” process the very last step that usually only takes about 2 minutes anyway?

See the speed limit above.

Jun 5, 2013 10:04 AM in response to KidVid

See Bengt Wärleby's post on encoding errors in this topic: Multiplexing Error: Apple Support Communities.

Follow this workflow to help ensure the best quality video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

Jun 5, 2013 3:36 PM in response to Old Toad

So theoretically…exporting out as MPEG-2 will help cut down on multiplexing and processing in iDVD?

Could this also help if one decides to make a disk image of a completed iDVD project that has MPEG-2 files in it?

For years my sporadic errors have only occurred during the “Multiplexing Phase” Ive never had any problems in the actual physical burn phase that takes only about 2 minutes.

Would adjusting the burn speed down to 2x offer any help in any phase beside the actual physical burn phase?

Yes Bengt Wärleby's post on encoding errors was a very long but informative read: Multiplexing Error: Apple Support Communities.

Jun 5, 2013 5:30 PM in response to KidVid

Good afternoon,

KidVid wrote:

So theoretically…exporting out as MPEG-2 will help cut down on multiplexing and processing in iDVD?

JK - don't want to do this because iDVD cannot handle MPEG-2 files as input. There are a couple recommendations if you search in this forum about how to export from FCP to best use iDVD. For example: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2025676?start=0&tstart=0

Could this also help if one decides to make a disk image of a completed iDVD project that has MPEG-2 files in it?

JK - no, two of the big advantages of disk images are that the disk image option breaks down the burning process (thus reducing the workload on iDVD and the consequent errors) and the disk image is created without physically burning a DVD (this also reduces errors on the first and subsequent generations of DVDs).

John

Best Export Format for iDVD to cut down on multiplexing and processing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.