Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to "recent items" when I open iWorks?

When I used to open Pages, Numbers or Keynote, I would see a choice to open a new document or a little dropdown of "Recent Items." This was a convenient way to just quickly open what I had recently been working on. Now that dropdown is gone. I have to close the start up splash screen and go to the File>Recent Items to do this. It used to be one click, now it is three.

I can't find any documentation about this change. Is it just me?

User uploaded file

Posted on May 30, 2013 7:38 AM

20 replies

May 30, 2013 8:31 AM in response to fruhulda

Pages O9 on a MacBook running the latest version of Mountain Lion. My big gripe is that the screen changed, but I don't know why. The one thing I have done is activate iCloud, and I'm wondering if that's the culprit.

I wish I had a screenshot of the way it used to be... it opened with the list of templates and the recent document tab rather than the list of files.

May 30, 2013 9:29 AM in response to Zaimejs

Hi Zaimejs,

Pages > Preferences > General

User uploaded file

it opened with the list of templates

Select Show Template Chooser for a list of templates when you start Pages.

and the recent document tab rather than the list of files.

Umm... I am not sure what you mean. This is how I open recent documents:

User uploaded file

I am using Pages'09 version 4.3

Macbook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3

Option 2.

Create an alias for a frequently used document. Open Pages by double clicking on the alias, rather than opening Pages from the Dock.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ian.

May 30, 2013 11:23 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

So it is like this for everyone running '09 4.3. I just checked and my colleague still has 4.1. Sure wish i had that.

Why does Apple keep taking away good stuff and replacing it with bad? I don't understand. Mail, iTunes, and now Pages... all losing functionality and appeal.

Just on a sidenote... I hate the new iTunes interface. and don't get me started in iMovie.

Grrrr... so no rollback or fix?

May 30, 2013 11:50 AM in response to Zaimejs

You are not alone.

There are some alarmingly bad instances of broken User Interface in Pages, OSX, and as you point out many other Apple applications.

As a corporation grows older I think there is a point of onset dementia. Apple seems to have reached its. In its search for change for change's sake and throwing out the baby when there isn't even any bathwater, it has lost all that early genius that I just watched and stood in awe of.

I can not understand how such a large organisation with such enormous resources at its disposal can be producing so little and what little they are producing is of such questionable quality. All they seem to be concentrating on is thinness, marketing and tax schemes.

I do hope something is changing at that spaceship HQ, and for the better.

Peter

May 30, 2013 11:54 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

What an awesome response. I was expecting some fanboys to come and attack me. I have been an Apple enthusiast since 1995... and I have to say that I see the same thing. Thinness. That's pretty funny. I just bought a new iPad mini, and I am impressed by the thinness and usability. But I think it's mostly a toy rather than a production tool. Apple used to be about having users MAKE things. Now I'm not sure that's their focus. The people who kept them afloat in the lean years, the creators, have been put on a backburner. You definitely see this with the lack of a new Mac Pro model.

I sent my feedback about Pages. I don't expect anything good to come of it. I really do wonder... maybe there are people who are afraid of losing their jobs, so they pitch changes for the sake of change.... some lower level manager was looking at the Pages interface and said, "Why do we have these two buttons here? It would be so much cleaner and thinner without them!" completely forgetting about functionality.

Windows Start Button fiasco anyone?

May 30, 2013 12:26 PM in response to Zaimejs

This is my classic example of just how bad things have got:

User uploaded file

The menu items shouldn't be grey and everything under them should be pop-out menus.

They actually had it right before and some incompetent nincompoop changes it in an almost hilariously awful fashion. The shame on Apple is not just that things like this are constantly happening, where they wouldn't have before, but that nobody is checking or preventing it or even understands why this is obviously wrong…

…or even cares

So it seems that is the norm now.

Peter

What happened to "recent items" when I open iWorks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.