Previous 1 2 3 Next 65 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2006 1:24 PM by A A P L
Christiaan Level 3 Level 3 (525 points)
Has anyone had a go at making the Apple logo black or charcoal on the black MacBook? I'm thinking about getting the black model because the matte finish looks a little more durable but the garish looking white logo is a put off.
  • ArchUrban Level 4 Level 4 (1,160 points)
    well, previous ibook was easily taken a part display to change . but macbook display, frame seem to attach by some strong glue instead of screws, or nut like ibook. this is point. you have to open shell, and change apple logo whatever you want. but macbook looks hard. so I don't recommend.
  • Matt Torbin Level 2 Level 2 (365 points)
    Just out of curiosity, why do you not like the logo? I mean, it IS an Apple. What do you expect them to do?

- MT
  • Tednol Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
    Why not cover it up with gaffer tape?!
  • Matt Torbin Level 2 Level 2 (365 points)
    You could, but then it wold look REALLY lame. If you don't like the logo that much, get the white one. If you don't like the white one, get the silver one. If you can't stand the silver one, then it's time to consider not buying a Mac.

- MT
  • carl wolf Level 6 Level 6 (14,345 points)
    Cover it with black fingernail polish.
  • Christiaan Level 3 Level 3 (525 points)
    Just out of curiosity, why do you not like the logo?
    I mean, it IS an Apple. What do you expect them to do?

It's not a matter of expectation, it's a matter of this situation exists, how do I change it?

I don't particurlarly want this to turn into a debate on the merits of Apple's design. I started this thread because I'm interested in altering the design. You don't have to agree with me on this, really.

As I said I think it's garish (look the word up); I have no interest in walking around as Apple's personal billboard.
    Cover it with black fingernail polish.

Wouldn't that risk melting the plastic? Also, I'd rather a matte finish (if I can't get to the underside).
    If you don't like the logo that much, get the white one.
    If you don't like the white one, get the silver one.
    If you can't stand the silver one, then it's time to
    consider not buying a Mac.

Just to clarify, I'm only interested in ideas on how to make the logo on the black machine less prominent, thanks. I've already explained why I want the black machine.
  • Tednol Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
    I'd imagine the only way to get rid of it, would be to cover it up in some way. You could carefully cut out some card, use acrylic paint, whatever you fancy. Clearly there is no 'official' way of getting rid of it. I'd hazard a guess though, that virtually anything you may try will have the effect of making your Macbook cover look like an 8 year old childs art project.

Good luck, and I'd love to see photos of the end result.
    I'd hazard a guess though, that virtually
    anything you may try will have the effect of making
    your Macbook cover look like an 8 year old childs art
    project.

Yeah that's what I suspect would happen too, which is why I was hoping I'd be able to get to the underside of the clear plastic instead.

To cover it with a coating of some kind I think would mean careful preparation to a get a good key, the selection of a suitable paint coating and good masking skills. I've probably got the preparation and masking skills down, I just don't know which coating would suit.
  • Michael Flynn Level 4 Level 4 (3,490 points)
    Has anyone had a go at making the Apple logo black or charcoal on the black
    MacBook? I'm thinking about getting the black model because the matte
    finish looks a little more durable but the garish looking white logo is a put off.

Wow this is the first post stating that they didn't like the white apple on the black mac. Different strokes for different folks.

The white macbook's logo (white on white) is probably less noticable as there's less contrast. There is no way to dim the logo as its lit from the lcd back light.

I believe the white MB's enclosure is more durable and less likely to show abuse. I compared both side by side and I thought the white was better in that respect. I love the black one and how it looks but the durable finish was one of my major points that I wanted a MB for.
    I believe the white MB's enclosure is more durable
    and less likely to show abuse. I compared both side
    by side and I thought the white was better in that
    respect.

I compared the glossy white and matte black in the store and the white ones were already looking worn out due to way the glossy finish shows up scratches more readily than the matte finish. The black machines were taking a betting and still looking, well, matte. Quite how you conclude a glossy finish to be more durable than a matte finish is beyond me.
  • bilbo_baggins Level 4 Level 4 (2,230 points)
    Why not get a case that allows you to use the MacBook with it still in? I certainly wouldn't considering messing with the MacBook itself, it would significantly reduce the resale value for a start.
    Wow this is the first post stating that they didn't
    like the white apple on the black mac.

Well some of us aren't Apple fanboys and just like a computer for its function. The garish logo on the black MacBook would provide absolutely no function for me. I'd actually prefer no logo at all but that isn't an option.

Frankly I'd find it kind of embarrassing walking around like a billboard.
Previous 1 2 3 Next