Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Install Safari 5.1.9 on Lion or Mountain Lion

if anyone knows how to do that i would be very greatful to know. Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 3:32 PM

You can't, it's for Snow Leo only (unless you make a virtual machine & install OS X 10.6.8 - but what is it you want to achieve ?

13 replies

Jun 8, 2013 3:05 PM in response to andyBall_uk

yeah i think i will eventually have to switch to a seperate rss reader but the previous implementation was so much better. maybe theres still hope for safari afterall they did recently bring the scrubber bar to the mini player itunes which allowed me to eventually upgrade to itunes 7 (was clinging to itunes 6 as well).

i wonder if theres away to extract the package. you know if theres actually a code difference for safari 5 SL versus Lion?

😝

Jul 18, 2013 6:50 PM in response to ubernaut

There is another way to do this on Lion (typing this from v5.1.9 on Lion) although in a bit of a roundabout way - v5.1.9 runs just fine on Lion, just like v5.1.7 does (Apple did not have 2 different versions of Safari v5.1.7 for Snow Leopard and Lion - they were the same Safari package and it appears that v5.1.9 is just a small update to v5.1.7).

You need access to a machine that has Snow Leopard and v5.1.9 on it. Then copy the v5.1.9 application to a thumbdrive etc. to transport it to your Lion machine. On your Lion machine make a new directory in the Applications directory (you could call it "Old Safari v519") and then copy your v5.1.9 (from snow leopard) into the new directory. If you have v5.1.7 I'd keep that just in case v5.1.9 turns out to have any issues.

Always just run one Safari at a time (you don't want corruption with two versions of Safari trying to access and update the same support files at the same time - but v5.1.9 should run fine from its new directory (mine does). I've noticed that if I've run v6 it wipes out the Top Sites view alert when sites have updated their RSS (you have to run v5.1.7 or .9 a couple of times for it to establish itself again).

I have Lion, but wanted to let Safari update in the 6.x updates so I'd have the latest security updates (I keep thinking I'm going to switch over to it but always come back), but didn't want to loose v5.1.7. So, before I let the 6.x updates happen I copied the Safari (v5.1.7) application from the Applications directory and (made a new directory in Applications directory "old Safari" and pasted a copy of the v5.1.7 in there). This way v5.1.7 runs fine and I've let Safari keep getting 6.x updates (although I can never get used to not having RSS in there).

Jul 19, 2013 9:09 AM in response to Sasparilla256

that's very interesting thanks for that info, now if i can only find a machine with snow leopard on it…

so quick question have you installed the latest security update (Security Update 2013-003 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5806)? Another person in this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4135311 said it had deactivated the rss functionality for him. Once i get a chance to test that out i'll come back and give you the prize for solving my problem.

How to Install Safari 5.1.9 on Lion or Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.