Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes doesn't recognize my iphone

I have performed all the recommended actions from the Apple support including uninstallng itunes. restarting phone, computer, etc. It still won't let me back up the phone. I have some techy friends who are experiencing the same problem. Apparently it is fairly recent?

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2013 5:46 PM

18 replies

Jun 11, 2013 5:51 PM in response to kgboo44

No, it isn't fairly recent. It is not a general problem at all. It is a problem with your phone or your computer. When you say it doesn't recognize the phone you mean the phone does not appear in iTunes when you connect it to your computer? Or does it appear in iTunes, but does not sync correctly?

Is that a typo in your post, or do you really have iOS 6.1.4 on your iPhone 4? If you do that is the problem; 6.1.4 is not compatible with the iPhone 4; it is only supported on the iPhone 5.

Jun 11, 2013 6:56 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I wasn't clear. I suppose it is a typo, I have the latest IOS for my Iphone4.

The itunes sees the iphone but thinks it's new. I have backed it up before and didn't have this problem. Now it won't let me back up the phone, thinks it's a new phone.

The computer sees the phone as a camera...... I had that happen before, but still was able to back up the phone.

I tried all the suggestions on the apple support page.

I have a friend who works with phones, computers and tech all the time and had the same problem. had backed the phone up the week before, ended up deleting everything and starting over. that option won't reallhy work for me, though. having to change out the phone due to the power switch stopped working today. Need to back up so I can restore.

Jun 12, 2013 5:27 AM in response to kgboo44

kgboo44 wrote:

The computer sees the phone as a camera...... I had that happen before, but still was able to back up the phone.

That is normal. The Camera Roll will appear as a digital camera on your computer any time there are photos in the camera roll. It has nothing to do with iTunes.

The itunes sees the iphone but thinks it's new. I have backed it up before and didn't have this problem. Now it won't let me back up the phone, thinks it's a new phone.

On the same computer or a different computer? The iPhone can only sync with one computer at a time. But I'm really confused, because you can back up an iPhone to any computer, as long as you don't try to sync. Are you talking about backup or sync? They are not the same thing.

Jun 12, 2013 5:28 AM in response to Destinie Harris

Destinie Harris wrote:

If you set your iPhone up as a new device, it won't erase anything from your iPhone. Go ahead and set it up as new and then backup and sync your iPhone and you'll be good to go

If you set up as a new device it will erase EVERYTHING on the phone. That's what "new" means. And if you back up this new phone it will wipe out any previous backups for the phone.

Jun 12, 2013 10:39 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

When you first connect your device to a computer, it will ask if you want to set it up as a new device or restore from a backup. If there is already content on the device and you set it up as new, its not going to erase anything. I've done this many times, and nothing was ever erased and all my backups were there and not overwritten. But thank you for your opinion

Jun 13, 2013 5:04 PM in response to Destinie Harris

Hi Destinie, You seem to have the answers, so I'll ask you what I assume is the same or similar question to what kgboo44 had: I have a similar problem. When I plug in my iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3), photos will upload from the iPhone, but iTunes does not even recognize that the device is there. I'm pretty sure this may have started (though I'm not 100% sure) after I downloaded iTunes 11.0.2 recently. The only thing I looked at was in iTunes Preferences, under Devices, the little box is NOT checked that prevents devices from syncing automatically. I have an iMac computer, running 10.6.8. If you have any thoughts especially that don't involve anything complicated, since I don't really know what I'm doing computerwise, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

Jun 15, 2013 5:57 PM in response to Nandrew2

If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone in iTunes on your Mac, I would suggest going to the black Apple in the top left corner and clicking Check for Updates to make sure that there are no updates for your iMac. In addition to that, go to apple.com/itunes/download and re-download iTunes again so that it replaces your current version/copy of iTunes with a newer one.

Make sure that nothing is connected to your Mac besides your keyboard, mouse, and the iPhone, and then follow this article http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1591

I hope this helps you out!

Jul 18, 2013 9:18 AM in response to kgboo44

I had de 1064 error. Apple mobile service device wouldn't start.

The solution was to uninstall every megaupload software (download managers). The issue will remain till you complete manually the uninstall process by deleting every residual file. This may cause a proxy desconfiguration wich is easylly solved by opening system symbol window as a administrator and writing "

netsh winsock reset" and restarting the computer.

Voila!

Dec 4, 2013 8:20 PM in response to krystalbiniegla

My similar issue started the end of August and again last week end of Nov. 2013. I have 3 Iphones all 4s and it is only doing this to one of them. They all sync to the same computer, get their software updated the same time (running the same versions). I'm told the phone is not recognized in Itunes, my photo's, videos, text messages, apps, contacts, and music was all affected when I restored the phone from the first time in August because the backup to Icloud was not working properly (still unexplained) and the backup to the computer was from June. I have lost so much due to this issue. The only difference between the 3 phones is that my phone has a different carrier than the other 2. My Icloud is backing up the calendar and can locate/find the phone when I use find my phone. I can manually transfer the photos to the computer, I can access the app store on the phone, but it seems like I just can't sync to Itunes. I tried phone support, even sent me to 2nd level support, no help. I went to the store today and they said "schedule an appointment and bring both the phone and computer". I'm using Windows 8. I don't trust the cloud backup and am stuck in a hard place. If 2 of the 3 phones are fine, why is just one causing me an issue? I suggest highly that even though you use Icloud also backup to the computer too. I have been using the phone unrecognized for a week.

itunes doesn't recognize my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.