Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recover imessages from ipad to mac iMessages

Oh golly! I have deleted an entire discussion on imessage from my mac. I would like to recover this - it is on my ipad still. It was on my iphone but I just restored iphone and I appear to have lost a few weeks worth of imessages on that now!! So my ipad is the way to go - and I now want to bring it back to imessage on my mac and on iphone. Can anyone hlep.? I have tried a few additional softwares - but they transfer the files as a txt file - doesn't go back into imessage. Distressed - not only stressed!! 😟

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 'Stressed Mum' not Mac technician!

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 11:46 AM

35 replies

Jun 12, 2013 1:00 PM in response to Stressed Mum

HI,

I know of no way to do this.

The whole of the Conversation can be highlighted, copied and sent as a new mesages but this ends up as a continuous peice of text with no speech bubbles or other indicators of who said what.

I often close the Chat/Conversation in the main Messages window when I finish one that day.

However sending a New Message tends to recall the "History" to that particular chat or conversation be it AIM, Jabber or iMessages.

In Messages > File Menu > Recent Items is the Chat listed ?

Also in the Finder (listed in the mneu bar with Finder window open) use the Go Menu > Go to Folder and type in ~/Library/Messages in the dialogues box that appears.

Open the archive item in here and check the various dates the chat took place on to see if you have a copy.

User uploaded file
9:00 PM Wednesday; June 12, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jun 12, 2013 1:23 PM in response to Stressed Mum

HI,

Whether you could use the iPad backup to somehow "clone" the info back to the iPhone I doubt is possible.

However as the conversation has already been synced across all devices it will not happen again.

Even if you had iTunes "save" a backup on the Mac I am not sure there is anything that could open and read it or extract the conversation.

User uploaded file
9:23 PM Wednesday; June 12, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jun 13, 2013 1:32 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc. I'd given up actually! Well I have time machine on my mac and also an external software by Ivegotabackup. The iphone was last backed up in May on mac and the ipad is totally up to date with icloud backup.

i restored iphone to last back up and of course that cleared the most recently istory - but I was hoping it would link back up with iMac messages - eeerrr - no - it didn't. so the only place that is correct and up tod ate with all messages and icloud back up is my ipad - but I hae no idea how to get it back into my iMac messages.

You got an idea?

Thanks

SM 🙂

Jun 13, 2013 2:01 PM in response to Stressed Mum

HI,

I think Linc is going to suggest this.

In the Finder use the Go Menu > Go to Folder and type in ~/Library/Messages

Once in the Messages folder open the Archive one.

Once this is Open click the Time Machine icon in the Dock

The FInder window will shrink and have the Galaxy behind it with the previuos backupo dates on the right.

Use the Arrows to navigate back to when you had the conversations you are looking for.

Highlight and hit Restore.

They will be put back in the Archive folder as it resizes to the proper size.

User uploaded file
10:01 PM Thursday; June 13, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jun 13, 2013 2:49 PM in response to Stressed Mum

It is Linc's idea so if it works give him the credit.

I had completely forgotten about "recovering " it that way.

User uploaded file
10:49 PM Thursday; June 13, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jun 13, 2013 11:58 PM in response to Linc Davis

Morning! This didn't appear to work unfortunately. I had already tried this - but by selecting the Archive folder completely. This time I opened the Archive folder. Conversation went back to 2010 which is what I wanted. This was just for 1 contact that I was searching. Mesages were in most folders for each day! So I selected all and restored. No change at all to current imessages. I then tried selecting name of contact under search from within Archive - but once it came back to restore it asked for a folder to put the items to - application imessage was shaded out not avaialble. Maybe I haven't done this right?

recover imessages from ipad to mac iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.