Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

802.11ac technology for a MacBook Pro.

Will the MacBook Pro be able to do an update to include 802.11ac technology, or will you have to buy a new MacBook Pro when 802.11ac is available?

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPhone 3GS

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 12:59 PM

The AirPort card included with MacBooks Pro doesn't support 802.11ac, so you will have to get a new MacBook in order to have 802.11ac. Now, only the MacBook Air supports this wireless connection

21 replies

Aug 14, 2013 4:14 PM in response to IntrusDave

The bluetooth/airport card is not a user servicable part. If your going to encourage people to do it, you should perhaps note that it requires a partial tear down of the laptop, and for those under warranty, attempting to do so will void your warranty.

It is also highly unlikely that anyone will actually now or in the future make an upgraded 802.11ac part for a 2010 macbook pro (which the poster I replied to was asking about).

But believe what you will.

Aug 14, 2013 4:39 PM in response to Michael Black

Michael Black wrote:

The bluetooth/airport card is not a user servicable part. If your going to encourage people to do it, you should perhaps note that it requires a partial tear down of the laptop, and for those under warranty, attempting to do so will void your warranty.

It is also highly unlikely that anyone will actually now or in the future make an upgraded 802.11ac part for a 2010 macbook pro (which the poster I replied to was asking about).

But believe what you will.

The wireless card takes about the same skill as the memory. It's not my place to assume that anyone who reads this will not have the skill needed. I was simply correcting a clearly wrong statement that the wireless is part of the main board.

As for being unlikely, maybe you aren't creative enough to think outside the box. Apple doesn't make that card. It's also used in at least 4 other notebooks. It is a proprietary form factor, but it is by no means a one-time use for 2010 only Macbook Pro. I would say there is a VERY good chance that anyone with the knowledge to search for the right things will be able to find a card that could be swapped in and functional with a simple edit to a plist.

I guess I just give more people the benifit of the doubt. I'm sorry to have clearly upset at least two of you.

Aug 15, 2013 8:08 AM in response to Michaelmjw

Michaelmjw wrote:

Thanks for your views. Does anyone have the model no. or picture of the wireless AC card. Perhaps if the form factor is the same I could try to swap out. There are many computer shops who can do it for a small fee. 🙂

It's still a fairly new standard, I have been watching closely and have not seen any cards with the correct form factor for the macbook pro yet. Though I have successfully upgraded one of my older (2009) iMacs.

802.11ac technology for a MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.