Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro shows circle with diagonal line and won't boot up

Help me how can I get it to work again

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 7:51 AM

Hello , i’m having the same issue with my macbook pro . I just updated it and the circle with the slash in the middle appeared . How can i get my macbook back to working again? It is obvious that the update is causing this . Any solutions. PLEASE HELP.User uploaded file

43 replies

Dec 11, 2017 3:22 AM in response to Mark Thacker

I got the same problem two days ago when my macbook was installing combo update of high sierra.

I tried to reinstall macOS, but downloading took very long time, within 2-3 hours almost ninety percent download done but the remaining portion looked ceased, waited eight hours to complete. cancelled and repeated couple of times but same output. can u suggest me something?

Sep 5, 2017 7:04 AM in response to Kappy

yes i tries 3 different hard drive at first - but my big problem was i was using a external usb hard to clone my other mac hard drive. it gave me error every time i tried to clone it. i just got this computer from eBay - i figure that it only spent $ 200.00 on a 3 ghz 8 core computer and if it was a dude it was not a bad deal, but the supply company said that they check the mac first before they sold it to me - so i decided to by a new hard drive - instead of using one of my 6 old hard drives - now all i get is the folder with a ? mark - that one i know about - thanks for your help.

Dec 17, 2017 8:24 AM in response to WEnnaco

Hey sorry couldnt respond faster . Well same thing happened to me , it got stuck at 25% for a couple of hours . I just restarted the computer and started installing it from the beginning . The second time the installing process took about 1:30 max , but it also depends on the internet speed . Make sure you are connected to the internet . Good luck .

Dec 17, 2017 8:57 AM in response to Soccer1633

For those having this issue with the new update, this worked for me:

Hold Shift+Command+R while powering on to enter recovery mode (hold until apple logo and loading bar appear)

Click the apple in the toolbar at the top of the screen and then click "select startup disk"

There should be one with the number of the previous operating system you had installed (for me, I believe it was 10.13.1). Make sure it's selected and hit the restart button, and your computer should turn on normally. Hope this helps!

MacBook Pro shows circle with diagonal line and won't boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.