Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts on iTouch missing unexpectedly

Why would the Contacts on iTouch just be gone, just like that? I haven't done anything to erase them or turn them off - I just used Email and Contacts today, and the Contacts are just gone. (iTouch iOS 5.1.1)

I only back up my contacts from my ITouch to my iTunes on my PC. Last back up May 24, 2013, so if the only option is to Manually Restore a backup stored on computer to my iTouch, I will have lost the last 3 weeks of Contact additions on my iTouch.

I also just tried turning on my Contacts from my Yahoo but they do not appear in my iTouch Contacts either - so that makes me think the problem is bigger than just ITocuh Contacts missing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

iPod touch, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 2:20 AM

17 replies

Jun 13, 2013 5:18 AM in response to wmaggie101

Been there, done that!

You are correct, the problem is not the iPod, but your Yahoo account. Since the information syncs back and forth between the computer and iPod both are effected. You will have lost mail, not just contacts.

Fix your Yahoo mail on the computer.

Yahoo does have an option to restore your mail account to an earlier time. Hopefully you are acting soon enough to retrieve everything.

I had to reset and fix an iPad recently. I didn't think to turn off all devices so they would not sync blank info from the iPad. Oops. I was lucky, Yahoo restore worked great.

Jun 13, 2013 7:43 AM in response to hngkaho

Hi hngkaho,

My Contacts wee saved on my iTouch, with a back up on iTunes (last one 3 weeks ago). I do not have an iCloud account. I don't recall doing anything on my iTouch other than using some of my apps between the time that my Contacts were there and when they were gone.

Yes, it is very strange, and I cannot find any info online on Contacts app not working itself, where the app opens up but its content is completely empty!

Jun 13, 2013 7:52 AM in response to lizdance40

Hi lizdance40,

My Yahoo mail on my iTouch is fine - it is still all there and synching between my iTouch and Yahoo mail online no problem.

I have not been using my Yahoo Contacts on my iTouch - instead, I had iTouch Contacts that were separate from Yahoo Contacts. I only just now tried turning on my Yahoo Contacts on my iTouch in Mail, Contacts, Calendars settings, but my iTouch Contacts do not show these either - they remain empty. I double-checked my Yahoo Contacts online and they are all still there.

I have no other iProducts aside from the iTouch (so cross synching is not a possible problem).

Jul 7, 2013 3:51 AM in response to wmaggie101

This happened to me on 07/03/2013. Like the original poster, I too am running OS 5.1.1. I have not synced in 6 months and do not use iCloud - so this issue did not occur because of a sync or have anything to do with iCloud. The only thing I did within the day or so before all the contacts disappeared from my Contacts app is to delete a few unused/unwanted apps and then update a few apps - Facebook and Google Voice were 2 of the ones I'd been avoiding updating for quite a while that I included in my selective app updates in the past week that make me wonder if one of them is the culprit. I noticed Facebook crashing a lot after the app was updated, as well as the FoxNews app (another of the apps I updated this past week). I don't recall Google Voice crashing after its update.

The strangest thing: I think my data is "in there" in the iPod somewhere because when I eliminate all calendars except for the "Contacts' birthdays and events" calendar, I do see some of my Contact's birthdays... and when I click on one of the events - a friend's birthday, under Event Details there is a field that says "Accepted" with "Contacts" beneath it and an arrow... and when I click the arrow it takes me to a screen titled "Invitees" where the word "Contacts" again appears with a green checkmark beside it and another arrow... and when I click that arrow, it brings up a screen titled "Info" which looks like a Contact app entry, except the picture is the default gray person form, the word "Contacts" appears next to the default gray person, and below that is a long string of gibberish next to the field name "Work", which reads in part: 4dhmurjkc5hn8sq0ctp6utbg5pr2sor. It is the same long gibberish character string no matter which event I select for a given Contact in my calendar birthdays. Makes me think the data is there but scrambled or corrupted somehow. Curious if any other users having this issue see the same thing as me, down to the sequence of the gibberish characters? (If the same, maybe would point to a virus or repeatable malfunction of something in the iPod touch??)

Bottom line: short of trying to re-sync from my 6 month old iTunes backup, is there any hope of getting my contacts back?? I have added a lot of info w/in the last 6 months that I know I cannot recreate or get back any other way. Would hate to think it is lost forever.

Apple: are you listening???

Jul 7, 2013 4:13 AM in response to kathifromfl

Okay - I clicked the gibberish and it opened a new email and this is the full address: 4dhmurjkc5hn8sq0ctp6utbg5pr2sor1dhimsp31e8n6errfctm6abj3dtmg@virtual. I googled this and looks like some folks were having some kind of repeating birthday issue on their calendars which had this same string of characters associated... but I don't have that issue... my issue is that all my Contacts are gone from my Contacts app on my iPod Touch 3rd Gen running OS 5.1.1 for no apparent reason.

Any suggestions on what caused this and how to get my Contacts back (that doesn't involve doing an iTunes sync since that is 6 months old) and how to prevent this from ever happening again would be MOST appreciated. If anyone paid the Genius crew at Apple and they were able to restore your Contacts, or even if you paid a non-Apple "genius" who fixed it, would appreciate details on how much it cost and what was done & by whom so I can seek the same assistance.

Thank you.

Mar 5, 2014 2:36 PM in response to wmaggie101

I had the Contacts "app" disappear and after a ton of work found that somehow it had been dragged into one of those subgroups (don't know the official term) where you can combine like programs into "a folder" and there were 3 apps in one icon called utilities. Dragged them out and they're all there though they have lots of duplicate entries (I've always had that problem with Contacts. After the update to 6.1.6 which messed up everything and required 6 tries to get my touch back to life, ALL the Apps are randomly tossed around the the old backup being restored won't work as it was a different OS.

and my friends can't figure out why I stay with MS and Outlook....

Sep 13, 2014 4:28 PM in response to wmaggie101

This has happened to me multiple times and really freaked me out. I was worried about losing contacts entered since my last sync. It may not be related but seems to happen after charging on an old speaker dock. After reading these posts, i thought"i wonder what would happen if i just add a new contact". I added a new bogus test contact and after it added, the rest showed up again without having to sync. I have a third generation running 5.1.1.

Sep 30, 2014 10:08 PM in response to ChuckTaylor99

Hi Chuck - I tried your "add a new bogus test contact" tip and it did not work for me. All my contacts are still missing. :-(

Odd thing though: when I added a bogus test contact, I thought at first it had worked because the picture associated with the newly added contact automatically showed up as my neice's photo that had been the photo I had on her contact entry before they all disappeared.

Can I ask: exactly what fields did you use when you created your "new bogus test contact"? (I only filled in a first and last name.)

Contacts on iTouch missing unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.