Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X process 'soagent'

Anyone know what the OS X process 'soagent' is?

This is the only reference I can find ... https://my.evalesco.com/docs/3.4.1/adminguide/adminguide.html#AEN49

It seems to be chewing up a fair amount of processor time.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 6GB RAM, Time Capsule 500GB

Posted on Jun 18, 2013 9:49 PM

18 replies

Jun 20, 2013 7:55 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks William & Linc,

Yes Linc you are correct I did install the expired iMessages Beta.

This may also be linked to another problem I have been having, again for which you were assisting...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5088176

(This has incidentally become a problem again, and I will respond to that as suggested.)

A sample of the process reveals references to the AddressBook, etc processes.

It seems as though an erase, install and restore is almost inevitable

Nov 22, 2013 5:52 AM in response to William Lloyd

So the answer here is a little unclear and I have this issue as well where soagent is constantly "Not Responding" ... should I remove this file or should it be there?

I really don't want to go through the fresh install of Mavericks and restore from Time Machine process, we're not using Windows after all.

I should be able to go into the depths of the files and remove what needs removing no? Any guidance on a solution?

Nov 22, 2013 5:16 PM in response to rob_granholm

An upgrade to Mavericks solved this problem for me. While I eventually did a fresh reinstall for other reasons, the Mavericks upgrade had already eliminated this bug.

Apologies but I don't have the technical knowledge to assist with your idea to remove / reinstall the associated files. I'd recommend against this path, unless you can find someone out there with the in depth knowledge to achieve this without "breaking" anything else.

Jan 29, 2016 2:50 PM in response to andrewbuilder

I saw this issue appear when I added a new mail account to my mac mail.

I had an email address setup under outlook.com. I migrated this email over to Gmail. I then installed Gmail before deleting the outlook account. This is when I saw these processes use a tremendous amount of CPU usage.

This would only happen when I would try to open the iMessage app.

To fix this, I simply deleted one of the accounts from Mac Mail, Contacts, iMessage, Calendars... and my computer went back to normal!

I know this may not be the same issue for all... but was how I was able to fix this issue.

OS X process 'soagent'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.