Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup gmail push notification for my iphone 5?

I'm using gmail. Prompt respond for mails is very urgent for me.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 11:34 AM

18 replies

Jun 21, 2013 12:59 PM in response to my7707797

No. It means if you need push notification, you either have to use the Gmail app available free from the App store, or you will have to pay for a corporate gmail account. You can not configure a free gmail account using Exchange Active Sync (which supports push) on ANY iPhone any more. If it was already configured on an iOS device prior to 31 January of 2013, it will continue to function on that device until an unnamed date in the future when Google may or may not kill it, or until the user deletes the account, restores the phone, etc.

Jul 9, 2013 12:36 PM in response to my7707797

I use The gmail app only for push notifications. As soon as I receive a notification I open Apple's Mail app and read the messages there. If you have a domain email setup via gmail and you use it for business you kight want to consider paying google for a business account AFAIK paid google apps customers still have exchange sync available for push notifications.

Oct 26, 2013 7:13 PM in response to my7707797

I switched from a BB to an iPhone a few days ago and I knew I was going to miss the QWERTY keyboard but then I also discovered that my GMail doesn't 'push' to my iPhone. I was used to 'push' for all mail accounts on the BB. I also missed being able to personalize text, email, and phone tones for individuals.

I tried the Gmail app for iOS and it does deliver Gmail to the iPhone app quickly but the text is tiny and when it is a web page it's almost impossible to read.

So, I have worked out a kludge to get around these problems.

I added my exisiting Gmail account to the iPhone.

Hotmail does push to iOS 7 so I created a Outlook account (could be hotmail or Live) using the web browser.

I added the hotmail account to the iPhone. I basically use this to give fast notification of important emails on my iPhone.

On my macbook email client I created a rule that 'redirects' incoming mail to the hotmail account. The 'Redirect' is important since the email will show up in the hotmail account on the iPhone as coming from the original sender and you can then respond to the original sender from the iPhone, though the sender will see it as coming from the hotmail account.

The other downside is that you will get a second copy of the email in the gmail inbox on the iPhone, probably 15 minutes later.

If you don't want all of the mail being redirected you can create a 'redirect' group in the Address book and then adjust the rule in Apple mail to only redirect the mail to the hotmail account if the sender is in the redirect group. You can add and delete contacts from this group depending upon which ones you consider to be important. You will still get two copies of the email on the iPhone, one in the hotmail inbox and one in the gmail inbox.

You can prevent this from happening temporarily by turning off, but not deleting, the gmail account on the iPhone. You could then edit the emails on the Apple email client before turning the gmail back on in the iPhone.

And finally if you use the VIP feature in email on the iPhone you can create a list of VIP contacts and then assign a different notification sound for the VIP's. So in effect important contacts mail will be redirect to the iPhone for quick notification and very, very important contacts will have a different notification sound.

I'm basically using the Hotmail account as a notification tool and basically delete all the emails in it since the original copy will be in the gmail account.

And best of all it's all free, except for the bandwidth. 😁

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.