Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad stuck in reboot loop, won't restore

My ipad 2 is a year and a half old, and not jailbroken. Came home from work the other day to find it in reboot loop (white apple, flash to black screen, white apple, etc.). My pc won't recognize it when I plug it into iTunes unless I attempt to restore. The first time it downloaded the software then the restore failed with error code 9. (Failed on multiple tries) I tried an older pc. The restore also failed, with error code 3149. I tried to address the error code 3149 by fixing my hosts, but couldn't find the faulty "gs.apple" code line. I tried my pc again and then a friend's mac and got error code 9. I've also tried different USB ports and cords and making sure I had no other USB devices connected.

I've tried all the online tricks and videos to no avail. Any suggestions other than Apple Store?

iPad 2

Posted on Jun 25, 2013 2:56 PM

27 replies

Feb 20, 2014 10:34 AM in response to jdubs24

My Ipad 2 is experiencing the same problems that jDubs24 described in the original post. I ended up taking it to the Apple store, and they tried to restore it 3 times and each time i got stuck on the reboot, The reboot progress bar went about 10% of the way, and then the screen flashed off and then the apple logo came back, and then the device went back into the reboot on/off cycle. The tech said there wasn't anything else that could be done to try to repair it, and it may be a hardware problem that is preventing the reboot. Since I'm out of warranty, I'll have to buy a new device.

May 8, 2017 6:32 PM in response to jdubs24

i had this exact problem, and they told me they couldn't fix it and i would need to buy another. however, this is not true! after struggling with many different cords, resetting my device to the factory model twice, and updating it, i finally used a very obvious solution. you probably don't even need to do any of the things i listed above! all i did was grab a portable, fast-charging charger ( the one i used was by apple ). plug it in. for some reason it seems that it has more power than cords hooked up to the computer and to the wall outlets. when the ipad comes to its lock screen or setup page, hold down the power button and then slide your finger to power off the device completely. wait a few minutes for it to get a good enough charge, then power it on again. the key is the portable charger!

Nov 14, 2013 3:36 AM in response to jdubs24

My iPad-4 was streaming a movie (via PlayerExtreme, AirPlay to ATV2) and, although it was on charge from a power outlet, the battery eventually drained fully and it shut down.

It would charge up a bit, start up again in a few minutes and spend a while booting but run out of juice again and repeat the process in an endless loop.

So I held down the Home/Sleep buttons for a few seconds till it rebooted and then plugged in its cable and *while still holding down the Home button* down until the 'USB connect to iTunes' graphic appeared.

Then I was able to let the unit charge up and (without even restoring it) it began working normally again.

Jul 6, 2014 3:41 PM in response to jdubs24

Yeah i got the same error i think

My ipads 3 and i think 5 years and jailbroken

so i downloaded this tweak then i had to reboot my iPad. so i waited while the apple logo was there. I waited a few minutes but then it was still in the apple LOGO i tried everything i could like watch youtube vids,Click All SOrts Of buttons but still doesn't work. Please Help Me!

Jul 6, 2014 4:35 PM in response to jdubs24

I tried restoring my iPad using the directions linked by Philly_Phan (Yay Philly!) However, it just did not work for me - all I get is the screen with the cable and arrow pointing to iTunes. The device still does not show up in iTunes. My iPhone connects and shows up just fine.

This happened when I was installing the latest update 11.2.2 (64-bit). I have no idea what to try at this point. I can't tell you how many times I've uninstalled then reinstalled iTunes. I even tried installing an older version, but then iTunes did not recognize the library file for my iPhone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, C

Sep 27, 2014 8:55 AM in response to jdubs24

I FOUND THE FIX,

I have this same problem after updating iOS 8 . I contacted local authorised service centre and Apple online care as well. Service engineers said there should be a hardware issue thats what it not charing and its keep rebooting, also they said its out of warranty and you have to replace the whole device by new one for that you needs to pay the whole money as new.

Even Apple oneline care told me, since there is no battery backup they cant resolve it by online. they asked me to go to service centre. But service centre peoples are trying to sell a new IPAD to me.

I searched in internet and found nothing ,except how to go to DFU mode and recovery mode. i tried about an week by restoring both methods and still nothing has changed,

But i noticed one thing, since we can see the Apple Logo everytime its restarting i was thinking sure there could be issue with charging of the IPAD Battery . i changed the apple charger and i changed USB cables, nothing worked.

Finally i decided , i should charge the IPAD at anyhow, for that at least IPAD should be OFF condition about 1hr . I searched to stop rebooting loop, but i failed from all internet options.

The FIX :

WE have to connect the IPAD to Macbook, and open the ITUNE (latest version ,if u dont know then reinstall the Itune again)

then I bring the IPAD to DFU mode, by pressing home and Sleep button together for 10 seconds and release the sleep button and after 15 seconds .

Now i got the Restore screen , (DONT CLICK THE RESTORE OR ANY OPTIONS) and i left the screen with my IPAD connected for 2hrs. dont do anything just leave the macbook for 2hrs.

YES, my ipad got charged about 7% , then i switched to wall charger and its working fine now.

If peoples dont have the latest iOS, on the restore page go ahead on restore option it will update you the new iOS. But once its fully updated then again you have to go to DFC mode and left your IPAD for few hrs without click on the restore button .

Hope this will help you guys,

let me know if you need any doubt,

bbabhu@me.com

Sep 27, 2014 8:53 AM in response to NotMyNameForSomeReason

I FOUND THE FIX,

I have this same problem after updating iOS 8 . I contacted local authorised service centre and Apple online care as well. Service engineers said there should be a hardware issue thats what it not charing and its keep rebooting, also they said its out of warranty and you have to replace the whole device by new one for that you needs to pay the whole money as new.

Even Apple oneline care told me, since there is no battery backup they cant resolve it by online. they asked me to go to service centre. But service centre peoples are trying to sell a new IPAD to me.

I searched in internet and found nothing ,except how to go to DFU mode and recovery mode. i tried about an week by restoring both methods and still nothing has changed,

But i noticed one thing, since we can see the Apple Logo everytime its restarting i was thinking sure there could be issue with charging of the IPAD Battery . i changed the apple charger and i changed USB cables, nothing worked.

Finally i decided , i should charge the IPAD for that at least IPAD should be OFF condition about 1hr . I searched to stop rebooting loop, but i failed from all internet options.

The FIX :

WE have to connect the IPAD to Macbook, and open the ITUNE (latest version ,if u dont know then reinstall the Itune again)

then I bring the IPAD to DFU mode, by pressing home and Sleep button together for 10 seconds and release the sleep button and after 15 seconds .

Now i got the Restore screen , (DONT CLICK THE RESTORE OR ANY OPTIONS) and i left the screen with my IPAD connected for 2hrs. dont do anything just leave the macbook for 2hrs.

YES, my ipad got charged about 7% , then i switched to wall charger and its working fine now.

If peoples dont have the latest iOS, on the restore page go ahead on restore option it will update you the new iOS. But once its fully updated then again you have to go to DFC mode and left your IPAD for few hrs without click on the restore button .

Hope this will help you guys,

let me know if you need any doubt,

bbabhu@me.com

Apr 1, 2015 10:49 PM in response to jdubs24

i have the same question too my iphone 5s ios 8.2 non jailbroken is stuck in boot loop (apple logo than dim light black screen infinite times) same thing happens when i connecting to itunes & charging.

itunes also wont recognize my iphone now what can i do i tried other computer & lighting cable too bt problem is still remaining 😟

as i am an Indian and my phone is us version..

how to get out of it plz help.

iPad stuck in reboot loop, won't restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.