Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Epson Printer Not Working Over WIFI

I have an Epson XP-400 printer and am having trouble getting anything to print over the Wifi connection (I've already contacted Epson and they're saying it's probably an issue with OS X). The printer queue keeps telling me "The printer is not connected". I've gone through the whole wifi setup, and have gotten it to print in the past just fine, but whenever the printer goes to sleep, it ceases to wake up when I tell it to print. I have to manually go upstairs and hit the power button. But even then, it takes another minute or two to finally decide to print the thing. It's a huge pain in the butt...

Is this an issue with how my settings are configured inside OS X?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 11:07 AM

38 replies

Apr 5, 2017 7:49 PM in response to pnewcomb

I've had this issue too. This is working for me...

Delete the printer from System Preferences - Printers and Scanners

Restart

Open System Preferences and select Epson 837 from the list - Kind should say Bonjour Multifunction

At the bottom look for

Name: EPSON Artisan 837

Use: AirPrint (should select AirPrint automatically). Click on Add.

When I did not follow those steps exactly the printer would add but did not wake up from sleep mode when print jobs were sent to it. Maybe it was loading the Epson driver rather than Airprint?

Good luck!

(Mac Book Pro OS X Yosemite 10.10.5)

Aug 26, 2017 8:06 PM in response to pnewcomb

I've been dealing with this issue for 3 years now. After resisting a hard ethernet connection (remind me why I paid for a WiFi printer again?) I finally relented and purchased the cable recommended by Epson. Here's the news: It doesn't work either. Pure and simple, when my Epson printer/scanner goes to sleep, which I can't prevent from happening, it gets lost and cannot print or scan. Then I have to power it off, shut down my scanner software (Preview), re-start the printer, and then restart the software. Then it works just fine - until the next time the Epson WorkForce printer/scanner goes to sleep. It is not solved. There is no solution. How many updates from Apple and Epson in the last three years? Still can't get it together? Pathetic. Infuriating. Ripoff. Chumps, all of us. Just chumps.

Jun 30, 2013 12:05 PM in response to pnewcomb

Has this just happened ?

Both my brother's two HP printers and my 1 HP printer started doing this about 1 to 2 weeks ago after using them for 2 years without a problem !

I was wondering if one of the recent mountain lion updates has caused this issue eg the Airport Update.

I tried connecting by USB and everything is fine, it's only over Wifi that there is an issue.

Strangely it seems to have corrected itself now and so has my brothers. Very odd problem though especially as we both had the same issue at the same time and both cleared up within a day or two.

We both had the same message as yourself and the Green Lights were on in Printers Prefs.

Also the HTML page would not load using IP address due to the connection issue, as you would expect.

Jul 2, 2013 10:57 AM in response to Steve_V

I was wondering if one of the recent mountain lion updates has caused this issue eg the Airport Update.

The recent updates were to the Airport Utility which is only used to configure Apple Airport base stations such as Airport Express, Time Capsule, and Airport Base Station and an update to the firmware in the Airport base stations. There was also a recent update to the Canon printer drivers. So unless you actually ran Disk Utility and changed the configuration and/or updated the base station firmware they would have no effect on your printer connectivity.

You may be encountering WiFi network interference from other WiFi networks on the same or adjacent channels. There are a number of apps that will analyze your local WiFi network environment, If you do not have one there are some available at reasonable cost from the App Store. There are several free apps but they only show your particular WiFi signal. You need one that shows ALL the network activity in your environment. WiFi Radar is one that will do nicely. If you find another network on the same or adjacent network channels when the printer quits working configure your wireless router/base station to work on another channel. That may solve your problem.

Message was edited by: Joe Bailey

Jul 10, 2013 9:17 AM in response to san.sev

Thanks sans, but I tried using epson webnavi to setup the printer and it wouldn't recognize my printer during installation. Apparently I'm having a different issue than you. You have a xp-400 correct? Also, you said in your other thread that you just started having this issue in early july with mountain lion 10.8.4, but I've been having this issue since april...

Epson Printer Not Working Over WIFI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.