You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have iPhone. Is it free to txt and call other iPhones ?

I Have an iPhone. Is it free to talk and txt other iPhones ? With any providers ?

iPhone 4

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 2:29 PM

41 replies

Jul 5, 2013 2:55 PM in response to SLB

Apple to Apple is only free to use iMessage. iMessage will only work when connected to wifi network. As far as being able to send text messages to friends with AT&T and Verizon you will need to set up service through a wireless carrier.

Link below will explain a little more about iMessages and regular SMS/MMS text messages:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3529

Jul 5, 2013 2:53 PM in response to tonefox

The question is more complicated than you might think. Yes, iMessage is free between iPhones. In theory. But those phones have to be connected to the internet, and somebody has to pay for that connection. It is a common belief that wifi connections are "free", but somebody has to have a router and an internet connection, and is having to pay for that.

The only completely free way of communicating is shouting.

Jul 5, 2013 3:07 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Hi JB,

From the Apple Support page:

Text one. Text all.

Send a message to one person or to many friends at once — along with photos, videos, or links you like. When someone replies, everyone sees it. With more people you’ll get more texts, but remember, it’s iMessage, so every text is free over Wi-Fi.*

*Messages may be sent as SMS when iMessage is unavailable; carrier messaging fees apply.

I don't think you get free texts when you are messaging to other iPhones over cellular....

Jul 5, 2013 3:15 PM in response to tonefox

It is "free" because you have it in any case for your regular internet needs - or coffee shops/airports have it for temporary patrons.

whats so hard about it to comprehend?

by the way, most broadband users with home routers have no limits on their use. (they may have a theoretical limit like 100gigs per month but you will never exc eed it nor have i heard of it being broadly enforced)

Jul 5, 2013 3:17 PM in response to tonefox

Not sure what you mean? If you are on Wifi, you do not pay carrier charges....

Are you suggesting that what you pay for your Internet service does not make it free? OK, but no one gets Internet service (Wifi) just to do text messages. And what contract limits are exceeded on an Internet Wifi connection exactly?

Also, if you are on anyone elses dime on Wifi, it is free....

GB

Jul 5, 2013 3:32 PM in response to tonefox

OK, you can split hairs, but you are totally getting away from the OP's question. They weren't asking about the percentage of their Internet bill or the cost of Wifi in Starbucks as reflected in their coffee. I'm fairly certain we can infer that they were asking about cellular costs and minutes used.

And you didn't answer my query about contract limits for Internet?

Cheers,

GB

I have iPhone. Is it free to txt and call other iPhones ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.