Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air mid 2013 will not USB-charge iPhone 4S or iPad 2.

When plugin of iPhone 4S through USB, with original charging cable, the device will just keep connect/unconnect the power source from the Macbook Air mid2013 haswell.

It is useless.

Any help?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 9:50 AM

Does ITunes sync with the iPhone or iPad when it is connected? Are you connecting the iPhone or the iPad through a USB hub and if so, is the hub powered (connected to AC power).

You realize you can use an Apple power brick and plug in the cable and charge the devices that way, right?

25 replies

Jul 12, 2013 2:53 PM in response to carbon_dragon

iPhone is connected directly to USB 3.0 port via original charging cable.

It is impossible to sync in iTunes.

If Macbook Air is in standby with power brick connected - it's the same result. Keeps connect/disconnect rapidly.

Have now tried with both iPhone 4, 4S and iPad 2.

There is no problem with the late 2012 Macbook Air or 2011 Mac mini, when connected directly to USB 3.0.

Jul 12, 2013 3:00 PM in response to jensbast

this must be on a new Air model. you have 14 days to return it for a full refund. I'd take your phones and pad with cables and the Air with all the packaging it came into a Apple store. Try your phones and pad on one of the display models to see if they will charge. If not then it is a problem with the device or the cables. If it does then you have a defective Air and you should return it and get another that works correctly.

Jul 12, 2013 3:21 PM in response to jensbast

Ok, so you've shown that the devices attach and sync to other computers so the devices are probably OK. I have a 2013 Macbook Air I7/8GB/500GB and an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4s and my devices attach and sync properly, so it's not the case that they're incompatible or anything -- that would be pretty silly anyway. It could presumably be the cable (you probably used the same one every time?) or the USB port or the CPU board or the software.

If you swap out the cable you can eliminate that. You could try the other USB port to see if that makes any difference and if possible remove any other USB device. If it still doesn't work, it's probably hardware. If you bring it to Apple they'll probably swap it out depending on whether you have a build to order device or not. Assuming that is your intention, you'd want to wipe off your data anyway, so make a good backup (or better 2) and then try an archive and install (using the recovery partition --shut down, power button and immediately even before you hear the tone CMD-R. Then try installing OSX over your existing OSX). That replaces all the OSX files (or so they say). If that still doesn't work since you would want to remove your files before trading it out at Apple, do an erase install. Same as previous but use disk utilities in the recovery partition to erase the disk and then do an install of OSX. Now you're back to factory original settings. If it still doesn't work, try to get Apple to replace it.

If it works with a different cable, you have a bad USB cable. If it works in the other port, you still need to replace it, but you probably have a bad port. To make sure, if you unplugged any other USB devices, plug them back in and see if that makes it not work again. if so, something about that device combination is a problem. I think that is unlikely.

If it works once OSX is reinstalled it probably means you've made some change to your system that made the sync stop working. You can try reinstalling your stuff one at a time till you discover what it was.

If it works once you do a erase install, well then maybe something in your user settings might be the problem? Again you can try installing stuff to try to determine what happened. Or you can migrate your settings and see if things stop working.

Keep in mind that erasing the disk erases all your files, so don't do it unless you have at least 1 and preferably 2 good backups. If you take it to the Apple store and they swap out your computer they will NOT transfer your files!

Jul 19, 2013 4:31 PM in response to jensbast

I have had the same issue. A quick call to Apple Support helped me out. The technician referred me to the knowledge base article HT1384. This says to set the Sleep (when on power adapter) to never and this will allow charging. WHY is my question.

It's VERY disappointing to see that we just cannot charge our iOS devices while this machine is asleep. I used to be able to do this on my 2008 Macbook Pro and I don't see why Apple's customers should now have to actively intervene to prevent the machine sleeping when charging an iOs device. This reduces the useability of Apple devices and is another nail in the coffin that has formed around Apple for me.

Maybe I should take LowLuster's advice above and return the Air for a refund.

I hope a system update fixes this problem.

Sep 10, 2013 3:43 AM in response to Tigerbalm

Tigerbalm wrote:

The technician referred me to the knowledge base article HT1384.

Tigerbalm ~ Thanks for that. This is just a tip... You can post a clickable text hyperlink like this:

The technician referred me to the Knowledge Base article HT1384.

...To set up a text hyperlink, copy the URL, highlight the text to be linked, click on this Insert Link icon in the toolbar:

User uploaded file

...paste in the URL and click Insert.

User uploaded file

Oct 15, 2013 8:57 AM in response to jensbast

I got a Macbook Air 13" mid 2013 and I have the same problem. Is working OK with my Iphone 4, that means charging and sync. But when I connect my Ipad 3 the connection is blinking. I tried every is recommended and nothing happen. It is a funny thing, Apple with Apple equipment are not working.

For me, is probably software issue, because the Ipad drain more current than the Iphone. If you remember on Windows the Ipad is not chargueable at least your install a usb driver from Asus.

So software people from Apple have a look. I am using the Os X 10.8.5 with all updates.

Jan 12, 2014 6:08 PM in response to Tigerbalm

This fixed it. for now. I had this same problem, iphone 5s to Mac Air OS X 10.8.5. I followed the suggestion to go to the energy saver panel in system preferences and set computer sleep to never, and it began charging my phone. Great! But then I reset computer sleep back 15 minutes, and it continued to charge the iphone. Interesting..

Jan 16, 2014 11:09 PM in response to Tigerbalm

No one seems to have figured it out yet. I think I know what's going on. I happen to be ****** about it though.

I have a new haswell retina macbook pro from 2013. What I observe is, it will not charge an ios device, while asleep, if the battery is lower than 50% charged.

This never occured on any macbook i had before. it would charge as long as it possibly could until it died.

Why? another dumb feature that does nothing but give me headache... Now, when both are nearly dead, in order to keep my phone alive, my lifeline that i need moreso than the laptop, i have to kill the phone faster by keeping hte lid open. Otherwise the phone will never charge. Wonderful...

Macbook Air mid 2013 will not USB-charge iPhone 4S or iPad 2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.