Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X: Install additional content on external hard drive?

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if there are any new, official ways to ask Logic Pro X to store the additional content that is downloaded to a different location (e.g., an external hard drive). So far I haven't found anything in the documentation (though maybe I missed it).

Thanks

Logic Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 9:48 AM

64 replies

Jul 16, 2013 1:50 PM in response to adam.cantina

Yes, it is essential that we have a way to place these additional files on different drives, especially for those of us that use a smaller SSD drive for certain applications and a larger drive for other things.

I currently can't install the additional files because Mavericks installed the Logic Pro X Application to my OS drive which is rather cramped.

Jul 16, 2013 1:56 PM in response to adam.cantina

For storing stuff other places, you can always use the command in terminal for symbolic link...

here is an example from final cut pro x.. (this is for storing on a shared volume...)

ln -s /Volumes/SharedDisk/folderForTemplates/ Motion Templates.localized

Remember a symbolic link is not the same as a alias... it's much better...

I've used it for both Final Cut Pro X and Black Magic DaVinci (color-grading)

yours faithfully, Helge Tjelta, Norway

Jul 17, 2013 1:36 AM in response to adam.cantina

I got it working with symbolic link.

It's very easy and this is how I did it:

1. Download this for free:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10433/symboliclinker

2. Copy original 'Logic' Folder located in /Volumes/"DRIVE NAME"/Application Support/ on the desired external drive and location.This is the location where all your additional content is beeing installed to.

3. You can delete the original folder or rename it and use it as a backup.

4. Use the symbolic link tool to create a symbolic link from the 'Logic' file which has been copied to your external drive.

Place the link (which looks like an alias) to its previous destination (/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Application Support/) and rename it to 'Logic'.

5. After this you will be able to download additional content.

6. Be aware if you want to download 30 GB of content and your SSD has just 20GB free space, it will show you the same error message because it stores the download file still on your SSD until installation is done. The solution for this is to download everything part by part.

Maybe there is a simpler solution. This was very quick and easy for me. Logic 9 and 10 both work still.

Hope this helps.

Jul 19, 2013 11:44 AM in response to seisend

seisend and nicolas1400, I tried the symbolic link solution you offered but I can't get it to work. After placing the link in my Application Support folder and re-naming it "Logic" (after deleting the original folder) I click to download additional content. Logic downloads the content, but when it goes to install it Logic then erases the link and auto-creates a new "Logic" folder in its place, in which the new content then appears. The new content doesn't show on my external hd. Thoughts? And thanks for proposing any solution at all. I'm working on an older mb pro with a drive that's nearly full and this issue is crazy frustrating.

Logic Pro X: Install additional content on external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.