Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cross platform development for mobile devices

My son is in the final year of his doctorate in psychology. One of the constant challenges in psychology is finding enough volunteers to run tests.

He's had the idea of making the tests available on the Internet, specifically mobile devices, so that volunteers don't have to come into the department. If this were possible (and there are more than just technical challenges) it would increase the pool of volunteers by orders of magnitude.

He has started by downloading xCode and has got some basic programs running there.

However, he wants to go cross platform (iOS, Android, maybe Windows) to target smartphone and tablet users.

Could anyone with experience in doing this suggest the best tools for the job and their experiences of the pros and cons?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 2:35 AM

4 replies

Jul 20, 2013 11:01 AM in response to Michael Haffey

I don't have experience, but a colleague of mine taught a college course on programming for Android. That involves using the Java programming language, whereas iOS used Objective-C, although some users can use C++ on ios. Java != Obj-C.

There may some development apps that use a different system altogether (maybe an interpreter built into the app) that is cross platform. Have you done a google search?

cross platform development for mobile devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.