Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC SLOW WHEN PLAYING GAMES

Hi if anyone can help me with the problem I have I will jump for joy.

I have a Mac desk top 27 inch screen that is 4 months old. It has Mountain Lion installed. The problem I am having is when I first log into a particular game my mac is extremely low and won't load the graphics very well. When I first had the mac I had no problem at all with the game everything was super fast and the graphics were fantastic, but now sadly I wish I had never purchased the Mac, I was always a PC user. I have tried everything I can think of even lowering the graphics on the game but to no avail. Everything else works well on the Mac, just not the games. I am not a expert on Mac but have been told they lose memory very quick. Can anyone PLEASE help me, I am not computer savvy so if you can explain in simpleton terms that would be great.

Thank you

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 11:39 AM

Hello, see how many of these you can answer...

See if the Disk is issuing any S.M.A.R.T errors in Disk Utility...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7029

Open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, select All Processes & sort on CPU%, any indications there?

How much RAM & free Disk space do you have also, click on the Memory & Disk Usage Tabs.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

In the Memory tab of Activity Monitor, are there a lot of Pageouts?

User uploaded file

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2013 11:39 AM in response to COCO68

Hello, see how many of these you can answer...

See if the Disk is issuing any S.M.A.R.T errors in Disk Utility...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7029

Open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, select All Processes & sort on CPU%, any indications there?

How much RAM & free Disk space do you have also, click on the Memory & Disk Usage Tabs.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

In the Memory tab of Activity Monitor, are there a lot of Pageouts?

User uploaded file

Jul 21, 2013 8:33 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello I have followed your instructions and there are no pages out. This is the information I have.

System Memory

Free: 5.98 GB In Green

Wired: 939.2 MB In Red

Active:1.04 GB In Blue

Used: 2.09GB

VM Size: 218.16 GB

Pages in: 217.7 MB

Pages Out: o bytes

Swap used: o bytes

DISK Usage

Space Utilized: 94.67 GB 94,674,366,464 bytes (in blue)

Space Free: 904.67 904,670, 478,672 (in green)

I am not computer savvy but I am pretty sure I have more than enough Ram. I have been reading recent threads on the update of Thunderbolt and there are many people who are suffering poor graphics on games recently due to the Thunderbolt update. I am thinking maybe this is the problem.

Jul 21, 2013 9:06 AM in response to COCO68

COCO68 wrote:

Hello I have followed your instructions and there are no pages out. This is the information I have.

System Memory

Free: 5.98 GB In Green

Wired: 939.2 MB In Red

Active:1.04 GB In Blue

Used: 2.09GB

VM Size: 218.16 GB

Pages in: 217.7 MB

Pages Out: o bytes

Swap used: o bytes

DISK Usage

Space Utilized: 94.67 GB 94,674,366,464 bytes (in blue)

Space Free: 904.67 904,670, 478,672 (in green)

I am not computer savvy but I am pretty sure I have more than enough Ram. I have been reading recent threads on the update of Thunderbolt and there are many people who are suffering poor graphics on games recently due to the Thunderbolt update. I am thinking maybe this is the problem.

To check the RAM amount.....Go to Apple>About This Mac>More Info>Overview

User uploaded file

Please post the amount that you have.

For HD amount, click on Storage

User uploaded file

Post your HD amt & the amt you have left (free).

Macs are not known as "gaming computers." That being said, nothing can beat a PC when it comes to game playing.

User uploaded file

Jul 21, 2013 10:29 AM in response to COCO68

I think we need to know a few more facts to get beyond this impass:

1) What processor/speed do you have in the iMac? (from "About this Mac" in your Apple menu)

2) What video chipset is it using and how much VRAM ? (Applications > Utilities > System information. In the left-hand "Contents" pane click "Graphics/Displays")

3) Run the computer a while normally--brwse, type something, run you emails. Then close all apps you have started. In Activity Monitor (also in your Utilities folder), set the "Show" window to "All Processes" and highlight the "#CPU" column to sort by usage. Are any of the processes using more than about 10 percent of the CPU resources when the computer is idling? (This checks for "runaway background processes" which can drag performance to a crawl)

And last, if you tell us the name of the game I, for one, am will to help research it to see if any red flags show up.

My 2010 iMac 2.93gHz quad-core i7 with 12GB RAM, an ATI Radeon 5750 chipset and 1TB VRAM runs games quite well, including the flight sim X-Plane which will grab every resource possible. I could run the X-Plane demo smoothly at high settings before I upgraded the RAM from the original 4GB to the current 12GB.

I'm thinking you have runaway background process

Jul 21, 2013 11:05 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Alan I have a 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fe0

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3707

Ok checked cpu usuage and no its well below 10%

I don't think you will know this game but its called Second Life, its a vertual game.

Jul 21, 2013 11:53 AM in response to COCO68

Thanks, give me some time to research. Today got busy so I may not get back to it until this evening.

I take it that Second Life is an online game? If so, your way of connecting to the internet may be part of the picture. How are you connected (dialup, DSL. cable, sattelite, etc) and what does this site show for your connection speeds:

http://www.speedtest.net/

All the games I've tried have been run from my hard drive, not online.

MAC SLOW WHEN PLAYING GAMES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.