Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message?

What does "iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message" mean? I can't get my messages to send and when I try that pops up. What is it and how can I fix it?

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 10:14 AM

I just installed IOS 8 on my iPhone 4S. I do not use iMessage, it has been disabled for months without issues. Now, however, I cannot send texts to some people. I'm prompted that "iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message." I will not enable iMessage to solve this. What is another proper solution for this?

71 replies

Dec 17, 2017 2:25 PM in response to jman0613

I get this message also and I am so aggravated with my iPhone eight. I can’t wait till two years are up and I can go back to Samsung. My screen freezes now I’m getting this ridiculous iMessage which I don’t need or want. My Internet is so slow on this phone same services iPhone 6. The iPhone 8 the screen freezes and the screen touch half the time doesn’t work.What is going on with Apple?

Sep 22, 2014 2:17 PM in response to jman0613

my 5c just prompted me last night to install ios 8 and I also cannot send texts as regular messages. This REALLY upsets me as our family shares a data plan and Verizon informed me several months ago that iMessage uses data. We have unlimited texting which is what I WANT to use. Why would apple FORCE you to use data instead of giving you the OPTION?

Oct 5, 2014 7:32 AM in response to cvanderveer

I have a similar problem as the OP, I wished to disable iMessage just to avoid the complications of having two messaging systems. Also, I never use data and always keep it off in order to save battery. Third, I noticed that when using iMessage, sometimes others' messages to me reach me late, i.e. they would send it at 3 pm and I would receive it at 6 pm when I turned on my wi-fi (remember, I have data off always). For these reasons I chose to completely disable imessage.

However, for one of my contacts, I noticed that the "send" button was still blue, rather than green (as you know, green is for ordinary SMS while blue is for iMessage). When I try to send this person a text, I naturally get the "imessage needs to be enabled to send this message". I tried the solutions in this thread, but none of them worked.

However, I managed to find a workaround. First, I turned on iMessage, then I turned on "send as SMS if imessage not available" in the settings. Then, I disconnected my wifi and data so that imessage would not be available, then I tried to send an iMessage to the person in question (the one with the button stuck on blue). This time I did NOT get the error message, but the iMessage tried to send anyways, getting stuck when the bar was around 85% complete. Then, I pressed on the speech bubble being sent, and manually chose "send as text message"). Voila! the button suddenly turned green, and now I can send regular texts to that person again!

Sep 2, 2017 7:39 PM in response to jman0613

I can't send pictures to android even when Iv done all the checks with SMS, mms, iMessage and all of it and it still doesn't work!! And when I tryed to send a text and a pic to another iPad, it had a send error so I clicked send again but when it still didn't work, it sayed send to email for some reason because i already was.. then when I clicked it, the texted appeared in green when they were both iPads and emails!!!!!!!!! Can Apple please just make an update so the settings are easy!!! Send with wifi/data or with sim For iPhones and just wifi for new iPads! And all the texts are the same for Apple or android!!!!!........!!!!!!

Sep 23, 2014 4:57 PM in response to MillAlien

Managed to solve this on my phone. One or both of the following did it: 1) Reset Network Settings (General | Reset | Reset Network Settings). This was a recommendation for IOS 8 texting issues. It deletes all wifi passwords, so beware. 2) Toggle iMesage on, then turn phone off and back on, then sent a message, and toggle iMessage off again. After all of this, all of my texts seem to go through.

"iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.