Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't ungroup launchpad apps

Hello,

I have just upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. One of the big changes being Launchpad. I have owned several iPhones and an iPad so I am pretty literate when it comes to the iOS system of organising apps.

I can move apps around, I can group apps, but I CAN'T upgroup apps - when I go to drag apps out of the group, nothing happens and they snap back to their group placement.

I have searched up a storm to check that I am doing it right, and if anyone else has had the same problem. I have since tried several techniques, having the apps do the giggle dance or not do the jiggle dance, but no luck - and it seems no one else has had this issue???!

I realise there is 3rd party launchpad organisers but I just want things to work properly without the help of any 'extras'.

Please Help!

Thanks in advance,
J

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 6:32 PM

5 replies

Jul 23, 2013 9:57 PM in response to jtm_444

This procedure will reset the state of LaunchPad to its default. Any customization that you did will be removed.

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Application Support/Dock

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open. Inside it are one or more files with long names ending in ".db". Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the folder open. Log out, log back in, and test. If there's no change, put the files you moved back where they were, overwriting the ones that may have been created in their place. Then log out and in again. Otherwise, delete the files you moved.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Jul 21, 2014 11:11 PM in response to jtm_444

Hello,

A year on but you have solved my issue of ungrouping icons from a launchpad folder.

I too use a wacom tablet - for Photoshop work and you can drag icons but they spring straight back as mentioned.

I do have a trackpad - click, drag, background pages come up, release and job done.

Just found my mouse and of course that works as well.

Steve

Sep 1, 2014 9:23 PM in response to Steve1812

Doh!

I've been trying to figure this one out for ages. Sometimes I can move an item from a group, and other times I can't. Never thought it was when I used the Wacom tablet that it didn't work. Easy workaround: just plug in a mouse when you need to change something and away you go. There's no need to unplug or remove the Wacom. Glad I found this. I thought I was losing it.

I can't ungroup launchpad apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.