Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Users name in Terminal > Users.

Hi, I am trying to change my Users name from firstnamelastname to mac on my OSX10.7.5.

I went to Terminal > Users and tried to rename, however upon reboot, the Terminal > Users always brings back the folder firstnamelastname.

How can this be changed?

I did go to Mac > Apple > System Preferences... > System > Users & Groups > Current User. This shows the firstnamelastname has been changed to Mac.

However I need the Terminal files in /Users also changed from firstnamelastname to Mac.

Mac 10.6.8-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 12:22 AM

10 replies

Jul 24, 2013 1:50 AM in response to Solai_4

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I tried that again. I think I tried it before but it must have failed.

I went to Terminal > /Users and the Terminal prompt says Firstnames-Mac:Users firstnamelastname$.

I then typed in Terminal >

Firstnames-Mac:Users firstnamelastname$ mkdir Mac

This command made a new folder.

Firstnames-Mac:Users firstnamelastname$ sudo rm -rf firstnamelastname

This command deletes the folder firstnamelastname.

I then restart the Mac > Terminal > /Users and the firstnamelastname folder is back again with a Terminal prompt:

Firstnames-Mac:Users firstnamelastname$

What's going on?

Jul 24, 2013 1:04 AM in response to Solai_4

Thanks for the reply.

I went to Mac > Apple > System Preferences... > System > Users & Groups > Login Options > Click the lock to make changes. > Password: > Unlock > Show fast user switching menu as > changed Full Name to Short Name > Click the lock to prevent further changes. > Apple > Restart...

The Mac still had firstnamelastname in Terminal > /Users rather than the name Mac.

I then went to Mac > Apple > System Preferences... > System > Users & Groups > Login Options > Click the lock to make changes. > Password: > Unlock > Show fast user switching menu as > changed Short Name to Full Name > Click the lock to prevent further changes. > Apple > Restart...

The Mac still had firstnamelastname in Terminal > /Users, rather than the name Mac?

I think the /Users folder with the folder firstnamelastname is some kind of permanent folder when I first set up the Mac, however I would still like to change the folder name, so maybe I need to set up the Mac like new or something...how to do that if there isn't a way of changing the folder name?

Jul 24, 2013 9:13 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for the reply.

I can confirm this one doesn't work for what I'm trying to do, as I found and tried this article.

I am trying to change the name of the Current User Admin found in either Apple > System Preferences... > User & Groups or in Terminal > /Users.

I can note that I have changed the User name by reinstalling a new OS.

However this took about 20 hours and now I can't restore any of my files from the Time Machine?

I have lodged a new forum post re this new problem https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5192324.

How to change Users name in Terminal > Users.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.