Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes won't sync between iPhone & MacBook Pro.

I'm running OS 10.8.4 and can't seem to get Notes on the Mac to sync with the notes of my iPhone. I've tried signing out of iCloud on both devices and this didn't work. Here's the weird part... when I signed back in, the Notes on the Mac returned and the Notes on the iPhone returned, but neither device had the same notes. To clarify, each device had different notes despite being signed into iCloud and having selected to sync Notes. When I signed out of iCloud, each device was showing no notes at all. When I signed back in, each device repopulated with it's own previous notes list, but neither synced to each other. Everything else iCloud related seems to be working fine. And, yes, I do only have one Apple ID and it is being used on both devices. Flummoxed!

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 11:44 PM

55 replies

Mar 21, 2017 10:52 AM in response to Randy FitzPatrick

I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.4 Beta on my maxed out iMac. I'm running iOS 10.3 on my iPhone 7.

This problem STILL exists for me for a LONG time, since 10.9 timeframe. My notes will sync from my iPhone to my iPad to iCloud, my MacBook Pro, and even shared with my wife's iPhone ... BUT, they will not sync to my iMac.er

I'm an Apple Developer with 30+ years programming experience (and the Apple "IT guy" for our family!), and have tried EVERYTHING I know ... but to no avail. Notes will NOT sync to my iMac.

Any other suggestions that HAVEN'T been mentioned in this thread?

May 8, 2017 3:11 AM in response to Randy FitzPatrick

2 Thoughts:-

On the Phone.

Check on your phone at the top of your notes. If it says Local Notes, click 'back' arrow and choose iCloud Notes. You may have been creating your notes just on your phone 'locally'.

On the Mac.

I THOUGHT I had this issue but I was being dumb. I was using 'Text Edit' on my mac and 'Notes' on my phone. 'Text Edit' on the mac is very similar but not the same. Find Notes in your applicaltions and use this.

Jun 5, 2017 9:22 AM in response to Randy FitzPatrick

After much frustration I think I have figured it out. Sync ONLY works from iCloud account to iCloud account on web and/or device e.g. iPhone iPad iMac. If you enter something on you "on my iPhone" section it will NOT sync. So first move all your notes to iCloud section on your device section (open folder, at bottom a "move all" option appears at bottom and then where to move it to shows up - select iCloud and you can create folder if needed), it will then show 0 on iPhone section. Next in settings - select Notes app then make default account iCloud and toggle off "on my iPhone Account" it should be empty due you previous move. Now select Notes app icon and you will see iCloud section with folders below it - same on Notes in iPhone iCloud section etc. The iPhone section will not be there. The good news is if you enter any notes they will now sync and if you enter a note with no cell or wifi connectivity it will be there on your device and as soon as you have connectivity it will sync. I hope this makes sense if not please feel free to contact me with any questions

Jun 22, 2017 11:32 PM in response to PhotoGA

I still haven't gotten this to work. I have tried everything in this thread up to this point. All my notes are under iCloud on both my Macbook and my iPhone. My Macbook is separated somehow. Notes on my iPhone show up when logged into iCloud in a web browser. No amount of toggling Notes off and on in iCloud settings on both devices seems to help. I even deleted all the notes on my Macbook to no avail. My OSes are updated. Argh!

Oct 2, 2013 6:45 AM in response to Randy FitzPatrick

There are more than 5 different discussions on the site about this subject.

None of them have a clear solution to this issue. Some of them have aweseomely esoteric techniques and no one agrees on any of them.

Some of the threads go back to March 2012. So, the only solution to this is stop using notes it seems.

Thanks apple!

Didn't want to or need to install Evernote until now.

Oct 2, 2013 7:08 AM in response to Randy FitzPatrick

Hmmm... Setup a standard test account

sync

see if it is the same as on icloud.com in Safari

If this works you may have some notes under your current account on your Mac locally instead of the icloud account. If so. Drag them and drop them over to your icloud account.

If the above steps don't work please let us know what the result is.

Notes won't sync between iPhone & MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.