Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot print to Canon iR2022i

Our Canon iR2022i printer was connected to a router with the ethernet cable and we could print without problem from Windows.

We recently replaced the router with the new Airport Extreme (with 802.11 a/c). Attaching the printer to Airport Extreme via its USB port, we can set up and print from Windows through Bonjour. But I can't print from my MacBook running Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.4).

I installed Mac_UFRII_V243_uk_EN and can print without problem if it is connected directly to the MacBook's USB port.

Connecting to Airport Extreme's USB port, I had no problem "adding" the printer in System Preferences. It saw the printer. I picked "Canon iR2022/2025/2030 UFRII LT (UK)" when selecting the printer driver. Setup went without problem. But then it shows this error message:

User uploaded file

I tried using Printer Utility to "get the printer information" but this error message appeared:

User uploaded file

I'm now saving documents to the cloud so that I can print from Windows! It's very frustrating. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thank you very, very much!

KL

(No luck setting up the printer if I connect it to the Airport Extreme via ethernet cable (Mac and Windows.) I don't know a thing about networking but i didn't expect that Airport Extreme would make it so hard. 😟)

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 6:13 AM

18 replies

Aug 4, 2013 3:08 PM in response to GamerKL

Your issue is a result of the UFR2 driver for OS X. Because the USB port of the Airport does not support bidirectional communication, the UFR2 driver is not able to get information back from the device - as you found with the UFR2 Printer Utility.

So the solution is to connect it to one of the Ethernet ports on the Extreme. By default, the iR series is set to use DHCP, meaning that it will request an IP address from the Extreme. So providing this setting in the iR has not been changed, you should only need to connect the Ethernet cable from the iR to the Extreme. Note that you should have the iR2022 power turned off when you do this.

With the Ethernet cable connected you can turn the iR2022 power back on. The next step is to check what IP address it has acquired. If you need instruction on how to determine that then please reply.

Once you have the IP address of the iR2022 you can then add it on the Mac. Note that this model does not support Bonjour so after you click the plus button to add the printer, you will have to select IP then LPD for the protocol. Enter the IP address, leave the queue name blank, change the Name to iR2022 and select the iR2022i UFR2 driver in the Use menu. Click Add to complete and now you should be printing again.

Aug 4, 2013 9:21 PM in response to GamerKL

From what you have shown the iR is set to a totally different IP subnet to what the Mac is using.

But I also thought that an Airport uses an IP address subnet of 10.0.1.x and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. So the IP address for the Mac does not appear to be connecting to the Airport Extreme.

So on the iR, you can see the box labelled DHCP. If you enable this and then restart the iR, the machine should acquire a new IP address that is provided by the Extreme (assuming you connect the iR Ethernet cable to one of the Extreme's Ethernet ports).

Aug 4, 2013 11:21 PM in response to PAHU

That did it! Thank you so much, PAHU and Greg!

I enabled DHCP and powered off and on the iR a few times but the IP address didn't change. An hour later I checked the printer again and found that the IP had changed to 10.174.20.xxx! I could set it up easily and printed from my MacBook Air!

All was looking good until I found my Dell couldn't connect to the internet despite a good Wifi connection. I powered everything (printer, router, Dell) off and on again a few times in different orders. When my Dell finally reconnected to internet (I don't know why), iR's IP returned to 192.168.1.yyy.

I was typing here asking for help but before I sent anything, I checked the printer again and it now has a new 10.174.20.xxx IP address.

I don't know what's going on. Is it something I need to worry about? But I now have a Mac and a Dell connecting to the Internet that can print. Thank you so much!

Aug 4, 2013 11:40 PM in response to GamerKL

The IP addresses don't sound correct for an Airport Extreme. At a guess I would say that you are using the Extreme in a bridged mode rather than DHCP/NAT and getting the addresses from your ISP.

If you open Airport Utility, select the Extreme and then click Edit, you will see several tabs. If you select the Network tab, what is your Router mode set to?

Aug 5, 2013 12:07 AM in response to PAHU

You are right, PAHU. Router mode is "Off (Bridge mode)". I tried switching it to "DHCP and NAT". The row below it said "DHCP Range: 10.174.20.2 to 10.174.20.200". I then clicked Update but it said "The DHCP range you have entered conflicts with the WAN IP address of your base station."

Shall I click "Network Options..." to redefine the range or what? Thank you again!!

KL

Aug 5, 2013 12:15 AM in response to GamerKL

GamerKL wrote:

Shall I click "Network Options..." to redefine the range or what? Thank you again!!

Yes. You can use any of the predertimed subnets (10.0, 172.16 or 192.168) and set a range of about 20 addresses. For example, if you select 10.0, then set the first two numbers to 1.2 and the last number to 20 and click on Save.

And to check, if you click the Internet tab, this should be set to DHCP.

With the above done, click Update. You will then need to reconnect all devices to the Extreme once it has updated.

Aug 5, 2013 3:01 AM in response to GamerKL

Thanks for posting that.

I did a bit of searching for the Double NAT message and it would appear that this is due to the type of cable modem/ADSL hub you are using to connect to your ISP. From what others in the know have posted, they say that you can leave it in bridged mode or select Ignore and have the Double NAT message.

Here is one posting about that message

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4747633?answerId=21044866022#21044866022

So at this stage I would say to go back to Bridged mode and see if the setup remains stable.

In the meantime, I will see if I can get some help for you. Can you reply with the brand and model of the modem you are using to connect to the ISP and which ISP you are using.

Cannot print to Canon iR2022i

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.