Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enter passcode with dead screen?

I've had an iPhone brought in by someone who's dropped their device in the ocean in the hopes that I can recover their wedding photos. The screen is completely dead (pins of the main board are corroded). The only good news is, the iPhone still "works"—it shows up in iTunes in both regular and recovery modes, Siri still responds, etc. But, the problem is, since the screen is dead, there's no way to access the photos because there's a passcode on the phone.

To add to their frustration—the phone has never been synced to either iCloud nor a computer—so the only way to access the phone is by entering the passcode—which, at this point, is impossible to do.

Are there any options?

Apple will replace their phone (it's 3 months old) for ~$200, but is unable to help with getting the photos back.

Thanks,

Kristin.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 11:06 AM

32 replies

Nov 20, 2017 5:47 AM in response to kristin.

My iPhone 6 randomly powered down yesterday, and I can't access any of my photos. After reading many different forums and trying the steps they include nothing has worked. I would just reset my phone entirely, but I have photos there that I want kept. I took the photo's yesterday at a show choir event and haven't had the time to back them up. If you can tell me anything that would help me without having to clear my phone entirely without having to lose my picture that would be phenomenal. Thanks (Sorry for posting on this old thread I just really need assistance)

Nov 20, 2017 10:38 AM in response to DxG_PunkDragon

I don’t know what you have tried already, but about the only hope is if you have recently synced your phone with iTunes on your computer you may be able to connect with the USB cable and download the photos. If the phone and iTunes are paired in a trust relationship you would not have to enter a passcode just to download photos.

other possibilities, which from your post you’ve considered, if you had previously enabled iCloud Photos on the phone your photos are already in iCloud and you can access them at https://iCloud.com. or if you had enabled automatic iCloud daily backup you can restore the phone, then reload that backup.

Nov 23, 2017 10:57 PM in response to kristin.

Ok so I might have found a solution by accident, if you have 2 factor authentication on.

I have an ipad with a dead screan (kids dropped it in the kitchen zinc and left it there for 2 hours before I found it), but that also switches on and can take Siri commands etc.

I could not sync with iTunes as I got the message stating I should Trust the device by confirming the message on the device (or something to that effect).

I was prodding my black screen like a madman hoping to hit the right button, but this this bore no fruit.

I then happened upon this thread and whilst reading it, wondered if this iPad was backing up to iCloud. I then proceeded to log into icloud.com (with my ipad still plugged in to my Macbook) and when I logged in, I got a message on the icloud page asking if I want to trust this device (same as when connected to iTunes). I said yes and got the same message that I should confirm on device, which of course I could not do. But then I had an option to send a text message to my phone as 2-factor authentication. I got the text, typed it into the icloud.com prompt and voila, I could also access my ipad on iTunes on my macbook and do a full sync and backup there.

Not sure if this will work for everyone or the OP, but it worked for me. Maybe a fluke? Not sure but at least I now have a backup of my ipad on my macbook as well and could sync my photos.

Aug 6, 2013 11:30 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

TJBUSMC1973: I opened it up and tried to use another (functional) screen. But, the pins on the main board are corroded beyond repair so a new screen did no good.

pdroth: Pretty much a brand new iPhone 5 (only a few weeks old), never connected to iTunes and weren't using iCloud. The only photos on the device were their wedding (which they were in Slovania for) and the rest of the trip they were on. There are no other copies. Even then—would you really be that shocked? I've seen countless people who don't use iCould and rarely, if ever, think about putting their photos on their computer. I see it all the time. And even when people do, they do it so infrequently that they go months and months without dumping into iPhoto (and even then, even fewer have their computer HD backed up...I could go on and on...).

Aug 6, 2013 11:34 AM in response to kristin.

The only way past the passcode lock will be to force it into DFU mode and restore as new. No matter how you cut it, they are going to loose those photo's at this point (I suppose they could pay a fortune and take it to a data recovery company to pull them directly off the memory chips themselves).

Yes, a lot of people do fail to backup or sync, but then many of those people also suffer the same fate as this case - loosing precious data when their devices go belly up.

Aug 6, 2013 11:47 AM in response to kristin.

kristin. wrote:

TJBUSMC1973: I opened it up and tried to use another (functional) screen. But, the pins on the main board are corroded beyond repair so a new screen did no good.

FYI: Apple will NOT replace their 3 month old phone at all. Your opening it has forfeited any chance of that happening. They're going to have to purchase a new phone at full retail or find a used one somewhere if they still want to use an iPhone when you're finished with it.

Aug 6, 2013 11:56 AM in response to kristin.

Are you a certified (by Apple) repair technician?

If not, you just voided their warranty, and Apple will not touch it with an eleven-foot pole.

The 'discounted price' you referred to ($200) is the Out-Of-Warranty replacement price. Apple doesn't just 'discount' phones. There has to be a reason, which in this case, would be the OOW. What you just did voided that. Unless the Apple Store manager is intoxicated the day they go in, it's not happening.

Whoever told you that was wrong. Opening up the device, by a non-tech, automatically & irrevocably voids the warranty. There is absolutely NO need to open up the device to try to recover the photos normally.

And if opening it was neccessary, then the customer has two options:

1. Try to recover the photos in the manner you describe.

2. Get the phone replaced for the out-of-warranty price.

Not both.

Enter passcode with dead screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.