Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering deleted notes on iPad

Help! Please!?

I just looked at my "Notes" app on my iPad, and one of my notes has vanished. It's about a year's worth of work. Is there any way I can recover it? It's gone from my iPhone as well.

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 1:37 PM

36 replies

Jul 17, 2017 10:57 PM in response to shebster

This cannot be the only solution. What is Apple's solution. If you are on the Mac, there is a simple solution. You just go to the top menu bar, click on Edit, and click Undo. So how can Apple not have the same functionality on the iPad? Is that possible? These two different operating systems are such a pain sometimes. So Apple is one company but it can't seem to get to being one operating system. Not good.

Second comment. For those of you finding your deleted Notes in either gMail or Yahoo folders, that is so, so much of a bigger issue to me than losing a file. This means that Google or Yahoo has all your Notes, and Google never deletes anything. Even what you delete is never really deleted. I use my Notes as a private place and I don't want them to be anywhere else besides in my Apple account. I'm not sure how you have set your accounts up to link to Google or Yahoo, but I certainly would not recommend that. In fact, I would recommend that you move away from using gMail as your Apple ID, unless you want everything you ever wrote to exist forever. That's what's happening.

Jul 18, 2017 9:42 AM in response to drhansk

Uh, a little paranoid, are we?

Maybe some users actually emailed these notes to someone and forgot they had done so?

You CAN email notes from the Apple iOS Notes app.

Notes aren't being put into an email account randomly as you seemed to be implying.

So, copies of those notes COULD exist in the sent folder of someone's email service. No?

Not everyone cleans out their emails from all email folders.

So, if a user emailed a note to someone, there is the possibility of it being on the email services servers, no?

Some users, like me, actually save email for later reference, if needed.

So, the note could be retrievable in that scenario.

This may explain why sone users are finding deleted notes in their email folders for the email service/s they use.

At some point, they emailed the note to someone.

They are just lucky that they didn't empty their email service sent email folder or they would not have that copy of the note to retrieve.

Jul 18, 2017 10:40 AM in response to MichelPM

Hi Michel,

Not paranoid. I wanted to help people understand that if their Notes are somehow tied to their Google account—and I don’t understand how this happens, to be honest—then their Notes are out there in the Google world forever. I like to live in a way that I know big companies aren’t taking my work, which includes intellectual property, and keeping it, sharing it, using it to make money, and so on. If your Notes are tied to a Google account and you can recover them by going into your Google account, then those Notes are in the Google world. That is what I meant to convey. If people are okay with having everything they have created in their Notes being out their in the world, then that’s fine. But I know that many people do some pretty heavy creative and inventive thinking in their Notes, and I would venture to guess that most people did not have this information.

If as you suggest, the only thing they were referring to was a case where they had sent a Note in a gMail, than that’s a very different scenario, a very limited exposure. But what I read in the support asks seemed to suggest something much broader that was not tied to people sending a Note within an email. I did not read that particular scenario. It sounded to me like their Notes were being stored in their Google account somehow. If that is true, then I would be concerned.

Anyway, that was why I shared what I shared. I have heard from multiple sources that Google does not delete anything, even what you’ve deleted.

Hans

Aug 4, 2017 5:11 AM in response to Flyboy 78

I accidentally discovered the fastest and easiest recovery method to recover your iPxxx device based deleted notes that are still on your device. The caveat "still on your device" reflects the Apple Notes' policy of deleting the "deleted" notes after 30 days which may take 40 days.

The method:

1. Select the "Recently Deleted" Folder in the Folders section in the Notes App.

2. Select the note you want to recover to display it's content in the right hand display box.

3. Tap the displayed text as if you want to edit the note's text. A small dialog box pops up saying "To edit this note, recover it first" with selection buttons "Cancel" and "Recover" showing. Tap "Recover" and the note immediately returns to the "All on my iPxxx". Folder where you are automatically transferred to so you can immediately start editing if you want.

Your note is recovered for you to do whatever you want with it, i.e. even delete and recover it again for fun this time.

Have a Happy!

Aug 10, 2013 11:16 AM in response to Flyboy 78

I just had this problem as well. In my case I was working on a Note during a meeting and accidentally hit the trashcan at the bottom of the Notes page on my iPad.

After trying several solutions including looking a past iTunes backups (too old) or the software application Wondershare, Dr. Fone I finally found a simple solution that worked (none of the others did). The lost Note was in my gmail account (the one used to set up my IOS devices) in "All Mail" (not trash, or elsewhere). All Mail in my OS X mailbox (includes all my mail accounts) didn't work - what did was going directly into gmail via my Safari browser. I'm not sure why this is the case, but am grateful that it worked and hope it helps someone else in a similar situation.

Sep 26, 2013 3:13 AM in response to Flyboy 78

Happened to me, in front of my eyes. But good news I discovered a day later, my iPad had opened a folder called 'Notes' in my Yahoo email and everything is there. So suggest you do what I did whilst scratching my head, write another note and send to email. It should appear (until read) in your Inbox then by magic got sent to this new folder 'Notes' and my other notes were there. Here's hoping you find an email folder called 'Notes'!

Oct 19, 2013 12:30 PM in response to HopPoleGal

Thank you so much. I was despondent the past hour having lost a 4 day conference worth of Notes. Your response was the answer. I determined my Notes was backing up to my Yahoo email. So I logged on to Yahoo on my desktop without any Notes folder. Then I saw your & the Google issues, so I logged on to my Yahoo account through Safari on the iPad & there the Notes folder was, with all my annotations from the conference!

Nov 11, 2013 6:48 PM in response to Flyboy 78

If you did the backup of your notes before deleting then you can easily get back those notes by the following steps:

1. 1. First don’t connect your iPad directly to computer because the iTunes only saves the most recent backup
  2. 2. Now make sure that you have a valid backup as listed iTunes> preferences> devices
  3. 3. Before connecting your iPad make sure to check iTunes>preferences> devices “prevent iPad from syncing automatically.” Because this will ensures we don’t erase the previously stored backup. Then select “OK” and close the window after checking “don’t sync”
  4. 4. Now connect your iPad to your computer.
  5. 5. Select the iPad as seen in the left bar of iTunes, as listed under the devices.
  6. 6. Select version and click on restore from options.
  7. 7. It takes a while to for iPad to erase itself, reset and restart.
  8. 8. After the iPad is restart you will see Set Up Your iPad in iTunes on your computer, and now just click the restore from the backup and click continue. It will take 10 to 12 minutes to recover your deleted notes on iPad, photos, music, videos, etc.

Feb 26, 2014 6:02 AM in response to shebster

Ohmigod. shebster you just saved my life!!! Just lost a half finished article (2 hours work on a deadline!) - butter fingers on iPad! The hot flush of angst as I realised what I'd done! And there it was in my gmail. THANK YOU THANK YOU X

bloody google drive doesn't work well on iPad so had to resort to notes. Thank god for gmail sync and you sharing.

Recovering deleted notes on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.