Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

today I have disappointed by apple support, can I go for an escalation?

MY iPAD IS STILL IN WORKING CONDITION, JUST NEED TO CHANGE THE FRONT GLASS WHICH HAS BROKEN BY DROPPING ON FLOOR FROM MY 1.5 YRS KID FROM MAX 2-3 FEET HIGHT.

and for that apple support is asking me to pay Rs.21500/-, which is as good as to buy a new iPad or buy another 2 tab from other company.

Support team is denied to send any kind of breakup, I want second level support.

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 3:19 AM

16 replies

Aug 8, 2013 3:41 AM in response to mintulal

You are not talking to Apple or iTunes Support on these forums, just fellow users.

But accidental damage isn't covered by the warranty, and as the iPad is basically a sealed unit the whole iPad is replaced, not repaired.

You could see if there are any repairers that will replace the glass on it - that will probably be cheaper, but any unauthorised repairs will void the remainder of its warranty.

If you want to contact Apple, then assuming that you are in India as you've given Rupees as the currency, then there is contact info on this page : http://www.apple.com/in/contact/

or there is a phone number for Apple India on this page : http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57#I

Aug 8, 2013 3:58 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks for the reply. I am from India. I understand this is an accidental damage but my iPad is in working condition only the front glass has little bit broken. So for that I need to pay almost the same amount of a new iPad, if I wish to get support from apple?

I am getting lots of miscommunication from support team. I was asking if any breakup of the amount, apple can give, support totally denied and said apple will charge whatever amount they said earlier. Also one support person has given me his mailID and finally he says he is not supposed to communicate on mail. Confused! if he can not communicate on mail then why he want to show his apple mail id😕

Warrenty does not cover accidental damage rather apple can charges for a new iPad to get this replaced, I am confused here. In this case why I should repaire my current iPad?

Your friendly reply, not to go for apple support in this case might help me, till the life of my current iPad.

Aug 8, 2013 4:25 AM in response to mintulal

As it's a sealed unit you will get a replacement iPad (the same model and spec as your current one), it's not repaired - the price for that replacement will be the same whether it's a broken screen or more serious damage, that is the same for all countries. And whilst the cost of that replacement varies a bit between countries, it's still relatively high in each. Do you have any sort of household insurance that will cover it ?

As I'm a fellow user I can't comment on why the person gave you his email address (maybe he was new).

Warranty doesn't cover repairs for accidental damage, it covers manufacturing defects. If you get the iPad repaired by an authorised repairer then the remainder of your warranty will be kept - or, if already out of warranty or if it's longer, you will get 90 days. Using an unauthorised repairer to replace the glass will void any remaining warranty period.

Aug 8, 2013 7:39 AM in response to mintulal

Also it's important to realize it's a warranty not insurance. Warranty covers default caused by Apple defects... and doesn't cover accidental damage. Insurance is handled by the carriers, banks, and other companies such as those who insure your home. Although it's a let down, you can't expect Apple to cover something that isn't part of the warranty, if they did, they would have to cover everyone for everything! You can't really blame Apple when accidents happen.

Also, it really isnt goint to help to escalate the issue within Apple support. No matter which level of support you go to they will all quote the warranty to you and they won't give on accidental damage or liquid damage.

Aug 8, 2013 7:51 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

buying a new iPad is a good option then repairing my current iPad(where cost difference is very minimum and I will get another one year warranty). And I think the best option for me is to buy another 2 tab from other vendor(at the price of repairing my current iPad), where I will have one backup if one gets dropped from my kid again. I do not see any advantage to get support from apple here on my damaged iPad. And most importantly I am not complaining or I do not observe any other issues with my iPad.

Aug 11, 2013 12:43 PM in response to mintulal

This weekend, I thought to get my ipad repaired from open market. I have visited many repairing shop(everyone knows how to replace the broken glass of ipad and they has spare with them), finally I found one teenage technician boy agreed to replace the glass of my ipad at a cost of 10% amount what apple asked me for the cause. When I asked him if he can replace the glass, he showed me few broken ipad glass. Finally he replaced the broken glass within one hour, and my ipad is working in good condition.

Many thanks on advising me to try open market for repairing the ipad. I would say better service I have received in one hour then so long on phone call, visiting service centre etc. good experience

today I have disappointed by apple support, can I go for an escalation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.