Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does VPN require Open Directory?

I'm running OSX Server on Mountain Lion and I'm trying to get VPN to work. If I enable it and try to connect it comes back with an authentication error on VPN client. If enable Open Directory and create a new *network* user it does work. Is this a requirement for VPN to work?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 4:55 AM

13 replies

Aug 10, 2013 5:45 AM in response to Batkuip

To the server, the only thing considered a "local" user is someone sitting at the server itself.

For all other users (others inside your local network), the nerver needs some what to verify that they are who they say they are. OD does that.

As far as server know, you might have placed the server on the open internet, or opened your firewall, so anyone outside the server box itself could be anywhere (your office, or across the globe). It has to enforce security the same way on all of them.

Aug 10, 2013 6:26 AM in response to cpragman

Sorry, I'm not getting it. What's wrong with the normal local authentication? I can connect from my other computers using that "local" account so obviously OD is not required for authentication across a network.

I don't mind having to turn on OD so much, but I'm confused why they seem to have to be *network* users (can't find any documentation on this). I already have a local account and I don't want a 2nd one. Changing a local to a network account is somewhat dodgy and again no official Apple documentation. So I'm sort of stuck.

Does VPN require Open Directory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.