Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Talk21 email service stopping, how do I backup/migrate?

I've used Talk21 for my email for years and years. It went to Yahoo, then BT and I've just had an email saying that its going to stop and I have 3 options. Buy BT broadband, pay £1.60/month or leave.

I have Virgin BB, don't want to pay a monthly fee, and although not too happy with it, I'll have to let it go and use my Gmail email.

So how can I backup my Talk21 email? It was my prime email (I learnt not to use a ISP email in case you leave...).

I have numerous emails and folders etc that I want to keep. I've always just used it as webmail and on my iPhone nits also on my iMac mail app.

Is there any easy way to backup/export/save all my email? I suppose I could forward all the email to my Gmail one, but this would take ages with the number I have. I also don't have that long to do it, finishes around start of Sep.

Any help on someone who has done similar, or anything I can do.

Cheers

Posted on Aug 11, 2013 10:06 AM

30 replies

Aug 11, 2013 12:24 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

OK,

If it is Imap and all of your mail is in the account folders then you need to back up all your mail (RightClick on a mailbox and select Export), this wll put a copy of the mailbox and its content on your desktop. That can then be imported into a new mailbox that you have made in Gmail.

Thanks for the help, can you explain a little more please...

"If it is Imap and all of your mail is in the account folders"

do you mean make sure all the folders I have (as I do have numerous for different things), are shown in Mail on my iMac I can then export them individually? or which bit/mailbox do I export on? I see an Inbox, and then the folders listed below, but cant seem to see where to export all and the subfloders.

" That can then be imported into a new mailbox that you have made in Gmail"

How do I do this please? sounds good if I can

Aug 11, 2013 12:54 PM in response to the loc-man

In Mail, in the side bar pick a mailbox (inbox eg:) right click on it, select the export command.

When you have done all and removed the unwanted account simply go to the File menu (in Mail) and choose the Import command.

User uploaded file

You are moving these over the internet to Gmail and from Talk21 (on the export), so it won't be instant, I suggest letting each mailbox finish importing/exporting before starting the next.

Aug 11, 2013 1:12 PM in response to Csound1

Sorry to be a little unsure here, and again thanks for the help.

So if I export the Inbox (I have 2 under Inbox , Virgin and Talk21), If I chose the Talk21 inbox and export, will this include my folders as well?

Sorry dont undertand what you mean when you say "You are moving these over the internet to Gmail and from Talk21 (on the export), so it won't be instant, I suggest letting each mailbox finish importing/exporting before starting the next"

I thought I was going to import them into Gmail somehow?

Aug 11, 2013 1:28 PM in response to the loc-man

the loc-man wrote:

Sorry to be a little unsure here, and again thanks for the help.

So if I export the Inbox (I have 2 under Inbox , Virgin and Talk21), If I chose the Talk21 inbox and export, will this include my folders as well?

No, you must export each folder individually, and in the case of multiple accounts you must seperate the 2 accounts. ie: export all T21 mailboxes and after completion move them to a folder caller Talk21, then do the same with Virgin This will avoid having multiple inboxes with no way of knowing which is which when you import them.

Sorry dont undertand what you mean when you say "You are moving these over the internet to Gmail and from Talk21 (on the export), so it won't be instant, I suggest letting each mailbox finish importing/exporting before starting the next"

I thought I was going to import them into Gmail somehow?

You are, but Gmail stores its email on the web (as does any Imap account) so while you are importing locally to Mail, Mail is then pushing them online to Gmail, which takes time. Too much going on at one time will possibly cause a failure.

Just take your time, it will all work just fine.

Aug 16, 2013 10:36 AM in response to Csound1

Added Gmail to the Mac Mail app fine. However it now shows under "Google Mail" that I have 350+ emails. I goto Safari and goto Gmail.com and I dont have thta many at all?!?

Where are all these emails? I can see some Google Calendar ones, but I didnt tick the calendar box on the account setup

Also It is setup woth IMAP, but when I delete it seems to come back on the Mail app

any help please?

Aug 16, 2013 11:16 AM in response to Csound1

For some reason in the Mail app on my iMac it shows 350+, I've now found a private message threaded email with 250+, I've deleted that now.

If I goto Gmail.com in Safari it shows in my inbox I only have 25 emails. I still dont know where the rest of the emails are in the Mail app, and not on Gmail.com

What I mean is I seem to be deleting an email in the Mail app on iMac, and then going to Gmail.com and emptying the Bin etc, and then they seem to still be there in Mail app on iMac...if this makes any sense 🙂

In Mail app it has a tree on the Left hand size, of Google Mail > All Mail, where is this in GMail.com?.

Aug 16, 2013 11:20 AM in response to the loc-man

Not really,

You should not be deleting anything until all the mail is safely stored in the exported mailboxes on the desktop, only when that is completed should you begin the import to the Gmail account (in Mail, on your Mac) There will then be a time period for Gmail to sync with your copy of Mail.

When that is all done the time for deletion has arrived.

Verify everything, make sure that all of the Talk21 mailboxes have been fully exported to the desktop before attempting to import them to Mail. Content that is missed at that stage won't go anywhere.

Aug 19, 2013 5:57 AM in response to Csound1

Still having some probs.

In Mail app on iMac, it has an inbox, thats fine, but also has a Google mail below that in the tree on the left hand side. I "show" that, it then shows me more folders, under Google Mail heading is a one called "All Mail", inside here are emails that I cannot find if I log onto GMail.com in safari for exapmle.

Also under this folder is email with a load of google calendar reminders etc, If I delete them, they come back, I dont even want them to give me an email from calendar. Also there is other email in there, that I delete, but comes bacl?!?

Any more help please?

cheers

Talk21 email service stopping, how do I backup/migrate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.