Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i get rid of a iPhone Virus?

I have now for the second time a strange virus on my Iphone 5, iOs 6.1.4 It opens randomly the pre-installed apple apps like Newsstand, Settings, Notes etc. and changes settings there. The first time I had it, it sent a message with "awkward" to one of my contacts. This time it changed my wallpaper. I haven't jailbreaked my iPhone. How do I get rid of this ****? It seems to help to switch the Wifi off. A reset of the settings did work the first time but not now. Thanks for your help!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 3:28 AM

220 replies

Sep 23, 2017 7:43 AM in response to gloriacap1371

gloriacap1371 wrote:

How do you do a clean version of iOS on your phone?

Do a DFU restore:

• Note that you must have a computer running Windows 7 or later, or Mac OS 10.9.5 or later
  • Install the latest version of iTunes from https://apple.com/itunes on your computer if it isn't there already (12.7 as of this date)
  • Reboot your computer
  • Disable any antivirus and firewalls
  • Launch iTunes
  • Connect the device cable to a USB port on the computer (not to a USB hub), but DO NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE YET
  • Press and hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons (VOLUME DOWN and SLEEP on iPhone 7/7+) at the same time for 8 seconds, until the screen turns black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME/VOLUME DOWN button. If an Apple logo appears while holding both buttons you held for too long; start over.
  • While still holding the HOME/VOLUME DOWN button connect the other end of the cable to the device
  • You should see a message in iTunes saying a phone in Recovery mode has been detected (it may take up to a minute for the message to appear). When you see that message release the HOME/VOLUME DOWN button and the device should restore. When asked DO NOT restore a backup; set up as a new phone.

Mar 14, 2017 8:04 PM in response to Celticsgirlie

Well, the next best thing for you to do at this point is to erase the device and restore from a backup that was made prior to the issues happening. If you don't have a backup that you can use, you should set the phone up as new.

It is not jailbroken, correct?

Erase your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Mar 14, 2017 9:02 PM in response to Celticsgirlie

You seem to not to want to answer my questions: do you have any Anti-virus software on the device? Do you have any apps that you downloaded to the device that were not from the App Store?

If you are having the same issue with three different phones, then that clearly points to your software, which is corrupted. As I said. You are going to need to totally erase the phone (follow the instructions in the link I provided). Then, you can either manually re-download your past purchases: Download past purchases to get them back on your phone, or you can sync your phone to your iTunes Library to get that info back on it: iTunes 12 for Mac: Sync iPod, iPhone, or iPad (or if your iTunes Library is on a PC): iTunes 12 for Windows: Sync iPod, iPhone, or iPad

Cheers,

GB

Mar 15, 2017 7:19 AM in response to Celticsgirlie

I was not suggesting that you install an Anti Virus software. I asked because that could be the source of the problem.

Back up your phone to iTunes or to iCloud, or to both. The Davita app is an Apple App Store app, so a backup will save all of your data, and can be used to restore your device once you have eliminated it as the source of the problem.

First, make sure you are running the most current version of iTunes on your Windows machine - open the iTunes app, click on iTunes at the top, and click on Check for Updates. Then back up your device.

Here's how to back up your device: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Probably should back it up to both.

If you have photos that you have not imported to your Photos app on your Windows computer, then import them first: IMPORTING PHOTOS - WINDOWS/MAC

Then erase your device: Settings>General>Reset>Erase all Content & Settings

Set up your device as a brand new device (not from the backup). Play around with it for a few hours with the sites you have been having the issues with and see if the problem goes away.

If the problem goes away, then erase the phone again, and this time set it up from either the iTunes or iCloud backup.

See if the problem returns. If it does, then your software is corrupted, and you are going to have to set up your device as a new device.

GB

Jan 3, 2017 2:23 PM in response to Zane Perry

Zane Perry wrote:

To everybody saying that IPhones can't get viruses:

Apple has been around for a while now, do you really think that hackers who spend their lives trying to hack people haven't figured their way around iOS? I now have a virus from a YouTube video that many people are complaining about as well due to a multitude of bots.

Well, it must be true if it involves youtube.

Jan 3, 2017 2:20 PM in response to Zane Perry

Zane Perry wrote:

Apple has been around for a while now, do you really think that hackers who spend their lives trying to hack people haven't figured their way around iOS? I now have a virus from a YouTube video that many people are complaining about as well due to a multitude of bots.

How come none of the technology press, the NY Times, Forbes (who hates Apple), Wall Street Journal, CNN, Washington post, etc, has reported this?

Jan 3, 2017 2:24 PM in response to Zane Perry

Zane Perry wrote:

I now have a virus from a YouTube video that many people are complaining about as well due to a multitude of bots.

You may well be having problems with your phone. That doesn't mean you have a virus. There are many, far more likely explanations. Start your own thread. Explain exactly what you're seeing (not why you think you're seeing it) and what troubleshooting steps you've taken so far. I expect it can be sorted out.

Jan 3, 2017 2:52 PM in response to Zane Perry

Zane Perry wrote:

Apple has been around for a while now, do you really think that hackers who spend their lives trying to hack people haven't figured their way around iOS?

Yes, that is what we really think. Apparently the FBI thinks so to, since they paid over a million dollars to get into the iPhone of the San Bernadino terrorists....

GB

Mar 13, 2017 9:02 PM in response to gail from maine

This is my 3rd replacement phone from apple in 5 months this latest one i barely got on feb 20 2017 they keep replaceing the phone but its the same problem over and over and over again i cant afford a new phone they keep telling me these r new replacements but everyone else is telling they r refurbished so either way 3 so called brand new replacements and no change and first two was due to expanding battery which made same problems except this time battery not expanding just freezing constantly and om fed up with apples service

How do i get rid of a iPhone Virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.