Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find out the size (Kb /MB) of software updates?

My software updates available contains a number of program updates. I have a daily data allowance of 400 mb. I want to prioritise my downloads, but cannot make a decision without knowing how big each update is. So, how can I find this out ?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Considering update to 10.8.4

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 12:41 AM

2 replies

Aug 13, 2013 4:36 AM in response to Rex Odg

This information does not seem to be easily available anymore, in many cases. See, for instance, the discussion at:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5192392

Also, be aware that the trend seems to be for updates to be automatically downloaded without user interaction, ready for installation! You can uncheck "Download newly available updates in the background" inside System preferences under "Software update". I think it is checked by default.

The best answer, although I don't think it's a great one, seems to be that once you start the download, the download window will show you how big it is. In previous versions of OS X, the size of the download appeared in the update screen, but has now gone.

Hope that helps.

Ivan

How can I find out the size (Kb /MB) of software updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.