Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how the **** do i actually get from lion 10.7.5 to mountain lion

for the love of all holy please tell me

i have the following

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

it wont update because there is nothing more i tried to go to mountain lion and has been a massive pain in my neck--- it says you can but you cant download the file so then i used Macupdate and got it there but now on install it says need 10.8.0 to do 10.8.4

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 1:43 PM

5 replies

Aug 15, 2013 1:48 PM in response to Community User

Upgrading to Mountain Lion

To upgrade to Mountain Lion you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Purchase and download Mountain Lion from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Mountain Lion is $19.99 plus tax. The file is quite large, over 4 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mountain Lion - System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

For a complete How-To introduction from Apple see Upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion.

Aug 15, 2013 1:51 PM in response to Community User

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Do a backup before installing.

Boot using the Recovery volume (command -R). Use Disk Utility to Verify/Repair the disk and run Repair Permissions.

Restart normally.

If you can/do upgrade, I recommend you make a copy of the installer and move it out of your Applications folder. The installer self-destructs. The copy will keep you from having to download the installer again. You can make a bootable DVD/USB stick to install using this free program.

Bootable Drive DVD or USB Flash Drive – Lion Diskmaker

If you need/want more RAM, the 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM serveral times from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service.

Crucial

Other World Computing

From Kappy

Install Mountain Lion Successfully from 10.6.8

From a brody

Mountain Lion 10.8 Updating requirements

I typed too slow once again. 😝

Aug 15, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root wrote:

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion.

You forgot to mention he has to BUY Mountain Lion before he can update. I don't think he realizes that. It is apparent he downloaded the 10.8.4 Combo update and tried to install it over 10.7.5 and it says he needs 10.8.0, which is very true. Barney-15E gave the correct answer. He has to **** buy it before he can update it. Mountain Lion is not free. The original poster thinks it is.

Aug 15, 2013 2:12 PM in response to Community User

To be clear.

Upgrade.

Going from one names version of the OS to another such as the Lion ( OS X 10.7.x) to Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.x) you speak of.

Update.

The movement between sub-numbered version of the same Named OS version.

As in OS X 10.8.2 to OS X 10.8.3

The first Costs and the second is free.

Updates can also involve Multiple or Combo Updates.

These now tend to apply when you buy a "new" computer and it have missed or not been updated at the shop

In these cases a Combo will include everything that have been updated since the base OS X 10.x to the current OS X 10.x.x stage. Currently in Mountain Lion that is to OS X 10.8.4

So...

You can't Update Lion to Mountain Lion but you can Upgrade it but it will cost.

You might think this is all semantics but sometimes the understanding is based on the precise wording of what you are doing.

(my pet hate at the moment is how many time "Messages" is used in the app itself let alone the proliferation of the word across the Apple Documents concerning several other Apple Apps)

User uploaded file
10:12 PM Thursday; August 15, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

how the **** do i actually get from lion 10.7.5 to mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.