Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Cannot verify server identity" iPhone 4S on home wifi. I get this message on mail, safari, iCloud...

For the past few days every time my iPhone needs to load something, it will take a ridiculously long time to load if it loads at all. This includes loading email, iCloud settings, iTunes, safari pages, even apps that need an Internet connection. Starting this morning I get these errors. I get this error when I check my mail, try to surf on Safari, check my iCloud settings or open my Facebook app. When I open iTunes I get this message: "The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be 'itunes.apple.com' which could put your confidential information at risk."

I have tried shutting down my phone and turning it back on. I have also tried resetting all network settings.

I have switched to 3G and get the same above message from iTunes.

The 'cannot verify...' message has disappeared though. Multiple pages in Safari load just fine. I open Mail and get this message: 'cannot load mail, connection to the server failed.' My Facebook app will load and load and will finally fail to update content. iCloud will not connect and show another 'verification failed' message.

My iPhone wouldn't even let me use this site to submit the question. So I am using my iPad 2 running iOS 6.1.3 and everything is just fine. Everything that is not working on my phone is working on the iPad just fine.

(an additional note: I have a reminder with geo-fence set a mile away from my current location and it will periodically go off even though my location hasn't moved in hours... Do not know if this is related or not but it started happening at the same time)

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 10:30 AM

25 replies

Jan 28, 2015 10:42 PM in response to AllisonH00

Hah, this is so weird problem. I was wondering why my favorite sales guy had suddenly switched to his old Android phone, still using iPad though. He said: "One day I spent 2-3 minutes cancelling 'cannot verify server identity' messages that were mostly from webdav.facebook.com but I don't even have that app, it doesn't work in China, maybe I tried it in Hong Kong, but the app is not in my iPhone. My boss took a look and said not to use the iPhone in working hours, put the SIM in your old phone, becides playing with Facebook is not allowed in China". Now I'm waiting for what's the result of trying the Date&Time trick, seems to work after half a day.

Feb 3, 2015 1:14 AM in response to Shanghai Sharp

You're not alone. I've had so many of these in the ast ten days that I've begun to snapshot the screen just for the sake of collection. I've got a ton of certificate trust request complaints by webdav.facebook.com nobody else. Wish I know what I did to start this avalanche. So far I'be been refusing to trust anything that relies on ME to say it's okay...What the heck do I know about it??

Here are some of the more recent requests, all of which I have denied.

8.stgi.net

host.acorle.net

www.liveen.co.kr

localhost <<<--- Ain't that interesting?

ssl2573.cloudflare.com

*.frontrowed.com

vietbao.vn

and a cast of thousands, it seems

Some of these are self-issued, I especially like that "localhost" entry. It's set to expire in 2042. Not on my machines.

Where is all this coming from and did I start it? How can I eliminate all this? Is there an iPad setting to globally block what is requested but not already allowed in the certificate store on board right now?

Fascinating.

Ken Jones, Shanghai

Feb 8, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Seppo Lehto

I am having the same problem: I am getting several times a day on my iPad (3rd generation) and my iPhone 4S the messages:

Cannot Verify Server Identity

The identity of "webdav.facebook.com" cannot be verified by Facebook.

Review the certificate details to continue.

Every time, I choose cancel.

I don't know, what triggers this message (I am not actively using Facebook or any app that would try to access Facebook at the time when this failure messages happen.

I am using the newest iOS version (8.1.3).

I am living in China.

I don't get the error messages when I am connected via a VPN.

So far that I remember - the problems started somewhere at the beginning of 2015.

The 'Not Trusted' Certificates are usually never the same. I did had - among others -:

• *.littletonpublicschools.net.
  • lds140.securednshost.com
  • auvisa.com
  • langel.jp
  • www.colesfinancialservices.com.au
  • *wpengine.com and even
  • localhost

What can be done? It's really annoying.

Feb 8, 2015 5:23 PM in response to JoleneMG

If this Behaviour is geographically based, I'd suggest the bad guys in China are trying to pollute my certificate store with these bogus certificates. Wish I knew more about this subject. Also wish I knew how to clean / restore the certificate store to a known good state. At this point, it's all a puzzle to me, but I find it disturbing.

Ken , Shanghai.

Feb 8, 2015 5:32 PM in response to KenTenTen

KenTenTen wrote:

If this Behaviour is geographically based, I'd suggest the bad guys in China are trying to pollute my certificate store with these bogus certificates. Wish I knew more about this subject. Also wish I knew how to clean / restore the certificate store to a known good state. At this point, it's all a puzzle to me, but I find it disturbing.

Ken , Shanghai.

It's quite possible that the news has not reached people IN China, but since early January the government of the PRC has been blocking more and more external sites, including a number of popular VPNs, but especially FaceBook and Twitter. This is most likely the problem if you are in the PRC.

Feb 8, 2015 6:56 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Oh, we're "Old Hands" dealing with blocked websites in this country. Usually takes the form of a poisoned DNS that sends you to a dead location, then you just time-out after a while, and think your connection is crappy...which it might very well be if you're going out of the country--it's actually quite snappy inside the People's Republic.

It's a game of Cat and Mouse, to be certain, and the cat's getting smarter.

Open VPN, the most widely used protocol, has a packet signature of some kind, they tell me, that discloses itself to those who would care to investigate. While it remains (we think, and hope) impractical to decrypt OpenVPN packets, it is possible to look for them and block their being forwarded. I've read that it's possible to corrupt a packet on purpose, causing the connection to fail repeatedly. This technique is common on cleartext connections to un-harmoniouis websites. Google searches do work in China, but they're so slow as to be nearly unusable. Bing, OTOH pops right back to you (with harmonized content,)

This is a different approach, it seems. Seeing the proliferation of HTTPS connections to everywhere, and realizing the difficulty in decrypting transmissions Just To See If Anything Un-harmonious might be traversing the net (perish the thought) it looks like the effort now is to install fake certificates to compromise the user's device, enabling collection and forwarding of data Prior to being encapsulated in a VPN packet, or MITM inspected on the way out to what we Only Thought was a secure connection.

A few months ago there was a widely reported attempt to install a certificate from "hotmai.com" Not h-o-t-m-a-i-l, h-o-t-m-a-i Perhaps that was the Proof of Concept exercise.

If I had any secrets to hide, I'd be livid about all this. As it is, I find it amusing.

Still, I like Threema on iOS and Telegram.everywhere.

"Cannot verify server identity" iPhone 4S on home wifi. I get this message on mail, safari, iCloud...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.