Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete "/.DocumentRevisions-V100" "

Hi

This is another variation on the loss of storage disk space in Mountain Lion - and it has driven me crazy now for several days! I have tried EVERYTHING from Pondini to (hope he forgives me - Houdini!) and so far I still have vast amounts of drive space 'lost' under 'Other'

I have been using iBooks Author a lot recently - and the file for my new book has become large. I made space by moving some large files (Music etc) to another external hard drive) - BUT - despite following all the excellent advice given by Pondini and others I still get this .. ie only 25.81 GB available!

User uploaded file

I have used Omni disk sweeper - which tells me that I am only using some 70GB on my 250 GB Flash drive on my iMac. This appears to be just re User, Apps Library etc - as shown here

User uploaded file

I have tried searchimg with 'About this mac - storage' and at first this is what it showed ie 181.95 GB as 'Other'

User uploaded file

Now, after I deleted some duplicate files I found via What size is showing this! BUT - the audio/music etc are still where they should be!

However, this is not my real problem - which is how to recover hard drive space....

User uploaded file

What size - shows me the following detailed file info (this is an extract from a long list )

My question for the experts is this - why do I have such huge files under 'Document Revisions - V 100? and several of them?

Are these copies of my iBook files - which I thought I had removed? What can I delete of these /documentRevisons - without causing a disaster?

How can I recover as much of the 'Other' as possible? And, yes, I have tried all I can try as suggested by Pondini.

BUT - these 'Others' are behaving like Houdini - ie they seem to be able to escape from me!

any help please?????

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 3,4Ghz i7, i7 Flash dr, 8 GB RAM

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 5:17 PM

The first thing you should do is rebuild the Spotlight index, because it's corrupt. The amount of free space you have is adequate, unless you're planning to add a lot more data.

28 replies

Aug 22, 2013 11:16 PM in response to Alan Goodall

Alan Goodall wrote:

. . .

I have been using iBooks Author a lot recently - and the file for my new book has become large.

You probably know by now that the space is taken by the Versions database.

I have used Omni disk sweeper - which tells me that I am only using some 70GB on my 250 GB Flash drive on my iMac. This appears to be just re User, Apps Library etc - as shown here

That's rather misleading, as it doesn't show stuff that's hidden or that you don't have read rights to.

The particular WhatSIze display you used is also misleading -- it shows the same stuff over and over -- try the List or Column view instead ("Browser" or "Outline" in the WhatSize toolbar). That will show the folder hierarchy and sizes more clearly.

Now, after I deleted some duplicate files I found via What size is showing this! BUT - the audio/music etc are still where they should be!

That's because the sorting into categories is done by Spotlight, not what folders things are in. And your Spotlight indexing is either behind or, as Linc says, corrupt. Once the re-indexing is done, the display should make more sense, although you may have to quit and re-select the Storage display, as it doesn't seem to get updated in real time.

why do I have such huge files under 'Document Revisions - V 100? and several of them?

As noted, those are actually some of the same files. It should be more clear in List or Column view. But the total numbers won't change.

Are these copies of my iBook files - which I thought I had removed?

Sort of. The Versions database contains the previous versions of changed or deleted "chunks" of your iBooks project(s). It's used to "reassemble" what the document looked like when you display or restore old versions in the Versions Browser.

It shouldn't get enormous unless you change lots and lots of graphics and/or there's a problem with the database.

When you delete a file that has those chunks in the Versions database, they're supposed to be deleted, too. Or if you use the Versions browser to delete old versions, the same should happen.

Unfortunately, there's no way to see what documents are taking up how much space in the database.

What can I delete of these /documentRevisons - without causing a disaster?

Nothing via the Finder, WhatSize, or any other app. That will likely corrupt it beyond repair.

Of course, the whole problem may be that it's already damaged. 😟 If so, you'll have to delete the whole thing, and lose all the revision history of every file that uses AutoSave and Versions.

If you haven't yet, Verify your internal HD, per #6 in Using Disk Utility. I don't know if it can find or fix a problem there, but it's worth a shot.

If not, the question is, assuming the database is not corrupted, do you need the old versions? Apple only gives you two options for any such file -- delete them one at a time, or all of them, leaving only the current file.

Message was edited by: Pondini

Aug 23, 2013 4:53 AM in response to Pondini

First let me say how fantastic it is to receive such excellent advice from experts like yourselves via these discussions - thank you! I must also apologise for my daft ‘Pun’ re names - which was written after 01.00 am here when I was so tired and frustrated with this problem that I could have written almost anything! I am now retired and live in a small ski village in the remote French Alps and I cannot just pop into an Apple store - that is why I find these discussions so helpful.

It is obvious that whilst I can use a lot of the Apple software programs I do not understand what goes on ‘under the hood - especially of OS X Lion’ Thanks to your advice I now understand more - and how and why both myself and the inner workings of Lion have caused these problems re storage.

Let me explain what I am trying to do - which should clarify why I am having these problems (and hopefully solve them!)

I have already published one enhanced iBook on the iTunes store - using iBooks Author. Now I am trying to create others about my research and work in Rwanda and Congo over the past forty years. These new Enhanced iBooks have many more photos and hopefully some of my video (on the rare mountain gorillas)

So, I rushed ahead - adding many photos - and using the Apple guidelines for photo sizes to be no more than 5000 x 5000 pixels. That was when I started to receive reports that my iMac i7 Flash drive (250 GB) was almost full. I deleted what I could (even moved my music to another external drive) but, as you will appreciate - the problems persisted as I continued to add photos! To compound my error I even made a Duplicate copy from time to time (which I saved an another external drive)

I then reduced the photo file sizes to 1024 x 1024 (and on my iPad 2, non Retina) these photos look fine. This reduced each photo file from 20 MB to around 3 - 400 KB. So, I replaced ALL the 20 MB photos I had previously added to my iBook - with the smaller jpegs. I now realise that that has NOT replaced them - as I thought - but made another version - and the large files are still in the earlier version - and still taking up vast amounts of space!

This morning I tried the solution you gave in a post last year - to remove other versions

copy of part of your post......

Re: Chunk Storage

Mar 12, 2012 12:53 AM (in response to davidcaleb)

That's a huge amount of space.

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide a way to examine it, to see which files have which old versions.

You can delete all old versions of individual files, by clicking just to the right of the file name in the title bar, to bring up the Versions Browser, then hold the Alt/Option key and click the name in the title bar on the right and selecting Delete All Versions.

------

But, I cannot get this to work! After numerous attempts using the Alt key I still see only the options rename, move, duplicate, lock or Browse all Version (I cannot get a Delete all versions) I am using iBooks Author 2 (327) What am I doing wrong?

How can I delete all the unwanted versions? Will the copies of the duplicate version I made (and stored on an external drive) also have multiple versions on my Flash drive??

In the same thread you later gave this advice

--------

Since you already have WhatSize and can use it to see the .DocumentRevisions-V100 folder, just trash it. Emptying the trash may take a very long time, given it's size.

----------

Can I also do this? I tried - but got this alarming message!

User uploaded file

Should I ignore this?

To demonstrate all the files sizes here below are the copies of the What size reports (using Browser view) as you suggested

One for the Document Revisions and the other for the Private/var - am I correct in assuming that all these ‘flow files ( and there are hundreds more!) are from earlier versions? And are probably the large photo files I thought I had replaced with smaller ones.

I apologise for all these details - but - my main question now is

In order to recove disk space - and continue creating my new iBook - What can I delete - and how - given the alarming message from What size? Can I delete the whole of the contents of Document revisions? and can I delete all of /private? or just /var or what?

For now everything is 'on hold' - as I only have 25.29 GB free!

Following your advice and that of Link Davis I have verified and repaired my Flash drive using Disk Utility as you suggested - and it is fine. I have also restored Spotlight and the storage now shows up as below

Regarding my new iBook - I now realise that Apple restrict the iBook file size to 2GB - so I will have to publish this in a number of chapter sections to stay below this limit.

Finally, is it possible for me to prevent Lion from making all these versions - and only save those I decide I need to keep? Other posts seem to say this is not possible (re versions of anything!) Maybe I have versions of other files that I could also delete?

Thank you for your patience - and your understanding!

Alan

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: Alan Goodall

Aug 23, 2013 5:38 AM in response to Alan Goodall

Alan Goodall wrote:

. . .

I must also apologise for my daft ‘Pun’ re names

If you mean "Houdini" vs. "Pondini," no apology necessary -- that's where the nickname came from! It was a compliment! Better yet, one that "stuck"! 😉

But, I cannot get this to work! After numerous attempts using the Alt key I still see only the options rename, move, duplicate, lock or Browse all Version (I cannot get a Delete all versions)

I see Apple has removed those instructions from the Support article: OS X Lion: About Auto Save and Versions. 😟

In the browser, click in the title bar of any Version on the right side. If you just click, you get the option to Delete This Version... If you hold the Alt/Option key, it changes to Delete All Versions.

User uploaded file

Another thing they don't make clear is the automatic "thinning" of old Versions. The Auto Saved versions as explained in the article above are reduced to one per day after 24 hours, then one per week after a month (I think -- it's not documented).

The Versions made each time you open a document,and hourly thereafter, or Save it, are never removed automatically.

(At least, that's what Apple said in response to a Bug Report I filed on Lion . . .)

Will the copies of the duplicate version I made (and stored on an external drive) also have multiple versions on my Flash drive??

When you copy a file, you copy the current version only, so the one on the external does not have the history anyway. If you make revisions on that external drive, OSX will create a Versions database on it for those revisions.

Can I also do this? I tried - but got this alarming message!

User uploaded file

. . .

Can I delete the whole of the contents of Document revisions?

You can, but I would recommend it only as a last resort.

You may be able to reclaim enough space by deleting all versions of your finished product(s), but keeping any for the ones you're still working on.

If you have to, or decide to, delete the whole thing, be sure no files are open with apps that use AutoSave and Versions.

and can I delete all of /private? or just /var or what?

NO, NO, NO !

Those are hidden system libraries. Your Mac would crash and not restart. Your user accounts would be gone.

NEVER even think about deleting anything you don't understand!

I do wonder about that 77 GB in /private -- that's quite large. As your screenprint of it isn't visible (to me, anyway, but this forum software is a bit flaky), try to post it again. Most likely a separate issue, but worth a look.

Regarding my new iBook - I now realise that Apple restrict the iBook file size to 2GB - so I will have to publish this in a number of chapter sections to stay below this limit.

That might actually help you -- if you pretty much finish early chapters before tackling later ones. If you begin to have space problems, you might want to delete the old versions of finished chapters.

An alternative might be to get a big external HD, and put these documents there. You might even make separate partitions for different types or groups of documents, so each would have a separate Versions database. That way, if there's trouble with one, you could delete it without losing everything.

Finally, is it possible for me to prevent Lion from making all these versions

I've seen some workarounds that will prevent it altogether, but there are some other options.

and only save those I decide I need to keep?

No, it's all-or-nothing.

Maybe I have versions of other files that I could also delete?

Yes, any app that uses AutoSave and Versions will have some, but most won't take up much space, unless they change or delete lots of images.

Aug 23, 2013 7:17 AM in response to Pondini

Thank you again

I have now been able to delete the earlier versions of my new iBook - as I did not realise that you meant to hold Alt key on the title bar of the stack of versions. This worked and they have all gone - but, as you can see from the photo grab via Apple info/storage - I seem to have freed up only a small amount of space ie I now have 32.67 GB free - and 174.91 still taken by 'Other' This grab also shows my other external drives that I am using re this project (I have lots of 1TB drives for backups) My iMac has the 250GB flash drive and a 1tb hard drive (it was the version before the latest Fusion drive)

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac12,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

I keep my photo assets (re Rwanda and Congo Aperture libraries on separate partitions on the 1TB hard drive) - and backups on other external hard drives via both USB and Firewire 800

Having deleted the said versions - 'What size' still reports 72.5 GB for DocsRevision and 77.4 for private

I am having great problems trying to attach the photo screen grabs of both these - as this reply appears to accept them - then either one or both do not appear!

I will try again to post them separately if this does not work

I DESPERATELY need to get on with this project as soon as possible - so I am grateful for your help

Can you explain why Docsrevision and private are still so large? the subdivisions (or whatever) of the 77.4Gb under private report 77.4GB var, 71.3Gb. Trash, - which consists of numerous 'Recovered files'

I have emptied trash - securely - and used Clean my Mac 2 - so I cannot understand why ther should be 71.3 GB as trash!

Thank you for your NO, No , No - re delete! I had read somehwere that you could delete the later sub sections - and not private/var itself - that is what I asked to delete.

So, again - how do I get rid of the huge amounts still taken up by Docsrevison and private /var?

cheers

Alan

PS (re nicknames - my own is 'Gorilla Goodall' - to differentiate me from Jane who studied chimps)

User uploaded file

Aug 23, 2013 7:30 AM in response to Alan Goodall

Alan Goodall wrote:

. . .

I have now been able to delete the earlier versions of my new iBook

Ah, good -- that may mean the database is not damaged.

I seem to have freed up only a small amount of space ie I now have 32.67 GB free - and 174.91 still taken by 'Other'

"Other" includes lots of, well, other stuff. How much of it is by Versions of other documents is near impossible to tell. SeeThe Storage Display for an explanation.

I am having great problems trying to attach the photo screen grabs

Be sure you're selecting From your Computer, not Uploaded Images (that doesn't work).

User uploaded file

Can you explain why Docsrevision and private are still so large?

The Versions database must have lots of versions of other files.

the subdivisions (or whatever) of the 77.4Gb under private report 77.4GB var, 71.3Gb. Trash, - which consists of numerous 'Recovered files'

Aha! Take a look at them; those are usually leftovers from app or system crashes, etc. You probably have more current versions of them elsewhere -- if so, delete the recovered items.

and used Clean my Mac 2

Many of those apps cause more problems than they solve. OSX (and WhatSize) provide all the tools you need.

So, again - how do I get rid of the huge amounts still taken up by Docsrevison

Either go to selected documents and delete all old versions, or delete the whole folder.

and private /var?

Get a list of what's there. It's unlikely much is there besides swap files and the sleepimage file.

Aug 23, 2013 7:47 AM in response to Alan Goodall

Only got part of the Versions stuff. But again, that isn't going to tell you what's inside all those chunks.

Either use the Versions browser to delete old versions, or delete the whole .DocumentRevisions-V100 folder. Those are the only two choices.

For the /private/var issue, select Go > Go to Folder from a Finder menubar and type /private/var in the prompt. That will show what's there; put it in List View and use the View item in the menubar to show the size column and check the Calculate all sizes box. If you can't screenprint the window via Shift-Cmd-4 and post it here, report the names of the largest sizes.

Aug 23, 2013 7:54 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi - thanks - is this the folder itself - or all the following contents?

For some reason I am not able to attach the screen grabs from Waht size re the details of this folder - but it goes along as 72.5GB.DoucumentRevisions-V100> 72.5GB.cs> 72.5GB ChunkStorage>72.5GB>72.5GB - then a list of files (in red) such as 5.36 14, 5.36 24 etc

So at which level do I press the delete in What size (and do I ignore their warning? Or should I maove to trash - and again - ignore their warning

Should the latest version of my iBook be open in iBooks author - or the app closed? I now have only the latest version saved - will this disappear as well? I do have a duplicate copy on another external drive - I assume I can then remove the 'copy' from the file name?

Thank you again - but I need to ensure I have understood your delete absolutely clearly!

Can I delete "/.DocumentRevisions-V100" "

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.