Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS SERVER settings--Do they all need to match?

After doing my research, I am confused so I hope the community can give me clarity. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here is my setup so that you know: I have a UVerse Gateway residential router with ethernet wired airport express and time capsule base stations that are set to Bridge Mode plugged into the gateway. I also have an ethernet wired Apple TV plugged into the Gateway. I use a Macbook Air as my computer.

I don't really know much about DNS servers, but I did learn just enough a couple of years ago to change the DNS servers in the network system preferences on my macbook air to the OPENDNS servers and that made my internet experience faster. However, I just read an apple support article concerning Apple TV performance that said:

You should use the default DNS entry supplied by your ISP, on both your Apple TV and router. Changing the DNS entry may result in a longer time before playback begins.

So, I checked my DNS entries for the UVerse Gateway, my base stations, the macbook air, and the Apple TV and they all don't match. The Uverse Gateway appears to me by looking at the settings to be set to the ATT DNS server (68.94.156.1). My macbook air is set to the OPENDNS servers (208.67.222.222). My base stations and the Apple TV all have the same DNS server (192.168.1.254) but it is entirely different than the DNS servers used for the Gateway and my macbook air. I don't really understand it, but the DNS server for the Apple TV and base stations (192.168.1.254) can also be used as a web address in my browser on my macbook air to get to the setting page for the Uverse Gateway...not sure if this means that my Uverse Gateway actually has a 192.168.1.254 DNS server and not the ATT server (68.94.156.1) I mentioned a few sentences ago that I thought it might have. It is all confusing to me.

When I am watching a movie on Netflix on Apple TV and I try to rewind a few seconds, there is about a 3 or 4 second delay for the movie to start playing again and I am now wondering if this is related to my DNS server settings. I had thought it was my internet speed (12 Mbps) and so I increased it to 18 Mbps with the ISP and plugged the ethernet cable into the AppleTV instead of using wireless and that helped a bit, but still a delay.

Do you see any problems with my DNS settings? Should I change all the DNS servers on all my devices to match or should I not worry about it? If I should change anything, what changes should be made? Any other suggestions or observations?

I really appreciate any feedback you can give me, thanks again.

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 2:51 PM

13 replies

Sep 1, 2013 3:45 PM in response to Community User

This is a comment on OpenDNS and other public domain-name system (DNS) services, such as Google DNS. You should use such a service if it solves a problem for you, and not if it creates problems you don't already have. To summarize:

1. Using public DNS will probably not make your network faster, and may make it slower.

2. It will probably not stop your browser from being "redirected" when you try to connect to a valid web address.

3. It will not make you safer from malware attacks.

4. It could cause confidential information to be compromised.

5. It has other privacy implications that you should take into account.

A DNS server resolves the human-readable "domain name" of an Internet host, such as www.apple.com, to the numerical address by which that host can be reached. The process is analogous to looking up a phone number by name. There is no chance that changing the DNS server you use will have any effect on a network problem not related to name resolution.

There are two valid reasons why you might want to use a public DNS service:

• The DNS servers provided by your ISP are misconfigured or don't perform well.
  • You have a use for the filtering controls provided by OpenDNS and others.
Although some DNS services are touted as responding faster than others, there will be no noticeable difference if your ISP is delivering what you pay for. Most likely, the difference in response time among the DNS servers available to you is on the order of a hundredth of a second or less. But under some conditions, public DNS will significantly slow down network performance.

A content-distribution network (CDN), such as the one used by Apple, relies on the location of the DNS server to optimize performance. If your query goes to a distant server, you may get slow downloads of Apple content, among other things. From the report of a test carried out by a networking consultant:
We listed 9 CDNs that would benefit from supporting/using edns-client-subnet, and only two actually support edns-client-subnet: CDN77 and ChinaCache. Others, including Akamai, Internap and CDNetworks, do not currently. This really is too bad, because from the performance data we collected, it is clear these CDNs deliver (much) worse performance currently in many countries to Google DNS and OpenDNS users.
Another reason often given for using public DNS is to avoid "redirection," that is, false results from a query for a valid domain name. Ethical ISP's do not intentionally redirect valid DNS queries, though it might happen because of a misconfiguration; for example, because the address of a network host has recently changed, or because of a " poisoning" attack on the DNS server. If you're persistenly getting false results from name resolution, there is some other reason for it. Note that your ISP may, and OpenDNS certainly will, redirect invalid queries to ad sites, in violation of published standards for DNS.

Some ISP's have been known to "hijack" DNS queries to their own server, irrespective of where those queries are directed. I don't know of any large ISP that is currently doing this, but if yours is, you won't be able to use a public DNS service, even if you change the network settings on your computer or router.

The claims on the OpenDNS website that it "blocks" malware attacks such as Flashback are false advertising. A DNS service does not and cannot block anything. All it can do is to selectively refuse to answer queries. It's trivial for a malware attacker to evade such controls. It's just as easy to evade the parental controls offered by OpenDNS. Nevertheless, you may find those control features useful, despite their limitations. Here is an example of an ASC user who had undesirable results from OpenDNS content filtering.

There is one exception to the rule that OpenDNS and Google DNS don't improve performance. The "prefetching" performed by modern web browsers, including Safari, may confuse some DNS servers, with the effects described in this Apple Support article. The article suggests testing OpenDNS, Google DNS, or another third-party DNS service as a possible way to overcome the problem.

If you need to switch DNS providers because of a misconfiguration of your ISP's servers, the change will most likely only need to be temporary. The problem may be resolved automatically within a matter of hours.

If you intend to use public DNS, such as OpenDNS, on a long-term basis, you should be aware of the privacy implications. As a user of the free service, you are not an OpenDNS customer, and the service provider — a for-profit corporation — doesn't have a contract with you. The marketers to whom OpenDNS sells information are its customers.

OpenDNS will know, and store, the address of every Internet server you use from now on. This is from its privacy policy:
When you use our Services, OpenDNS stores certain DNS, IP address and related information about you to improve the quality of our Service, to provide you with Services and for internal business and analysis purposes.

Concerning personal information, the policy states:

...[I]t is disclosed to entities that perform marketing services on our behalf or to other entities with whom we have joint marketing agreements...

You can't opt out of those disclosures. Read the privacy policy carefully and draw your own conclusions. The privacy policy of Google DNS seems to be somewhat more benign, but again, you should judge for yourself.

That's not the worst of it, though. The practice of NXDOMAIN remapping used by some public DNS services could result in leaking confidential information to a hacker:

For example, consider the "same origin trust model" used for Web cookies. If you're holding a cookie for GOOGLE.COM and you can be fooled into following a link to KJHSDFKJHSKJHMJHER.GOOGLE.COM, and the resulting NXDOMAIN response is remapped into a positive answer to some advertising server, then you're going to send your cookie to that advertising server when you send your HTTP GET request there. Not such a bad thing for a GOOGLE.COM cookie, but a real problem for a BANKOFAMERICA.COM cookie.

See also a brief. somewhat outdated, critique of OpenDNS on a Harvard Law School blog, with a response from the company's founder.

Sep 1, 2013 9:01 PM in response to Community User

The 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255 range of IP addresses are reserved for private (local) network use -- IOW, they can only used by the devices within a local area network (LAN) like your home network to communicate with each other.

So when you see 192.168.1.254, it refers to a device IP address on your home network, not some device like a DNS server out there on the wide area network (WAN) we call the Internet. Think of it as something like a bridge that connects your home network (the LAN) to the Internet (the WAN), & from there to the DNS server(s) out on the Internet.

Sep 2, 2013 6:38 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks for your input...Okay, I added the 192 number to my macbook air DNS servers so it now has the OPENDNS numbers and the 192 number listed as DNS servers. So that everything matches, should I also add the OPENDNS numbers as DNS servers on all of my other devices and base stations that only have the 192 number listed as their DNS server?

Sep 2, 2013 6:44 AM in response to R C-R

Okay, I do follow you, but not sure I understand why webpages I enter into my browser load much much faster when I changed my DNS server from the 192 number to the OPENDNS numbers...can you explain that?

And if it is faster, shouldn't I change all DNS servers on my devices and my base stations to OPENDNS to make everything faster?

Thanks for your input.

Sep 2, 2013 7:41 AM in response to Community User

It is hard to answer these questions without knowing how your network is set up.

For instance, is your U-Verse Gateway supplying Wi-Fi connectivity directly, or does it just feed your base station with an ethernet cable & the base station then connects to your other devices over WiFi? Is the base station an Apple AirPort Extreme (AEBS) or something else?

Does the setting page for U-Verse Gateway have any DNS settings of its own? If the base station is an AEBS, have you configured it using the Airport utility and/or gotten its DNS servers settings from that?

Anything you can say to clarify how your network is set up would help.

Sep 2, 2013 7:59 AM in response to R C-R

No, nothing connects wirelessly directly to the gateway. I disabled the wireless signal on my gateway. I have 3 base stations (1 time capsule and 2 airport expresses) that are all ethernet wired and then plugged into the lan ports on the gateway. All 3 base stations are set to bridge mode and all are set to create wireless network so I have a roaming network.

The setting page for the Uverse gateway has a default DNS server setting of its own that, as far as I can tell, cannot be changed. The default DNS server on the Uverse gateway that can't be changed is ATT's DNS server (68.94.156.1). All DNS server settings on the base stations as well as all devices have a default setting of 192.168.1.254 which I assume just points to the gateway ATT DNS server. If I change the default 192 number on my Macbook air to the OPENDNS number (208.67.222.222), the browser on my macbook air seems to go faster at loading a webpage.

As for your last question, I configured everything in Airport utility and its DNS server is set to the default 192 number.

Hope that helps and thanks much for your time in helping me.

PS. I also read somewhere that even if I could change the default DNS server on the gateway, I should not do it when a TV and/or landline phone is plugged into the gateway because doing so might help the internet experience, but would destroy the phone and TV signals. My gateway does indeed have TV and phone service plugged into it.

Sep 2, 2013 8:43 AM in response to Community User

not sure I understand why webpages I enter into my browser load much much faster when I changed my DNS server from the 192 number to the OPENDNS numbers...can you explain that?

Your router is acting as a DNS proxy. If what you say is true, then either it or your ISP is falling down on the job. You can make that distinction by entering the addresses of the ISP's name servers in the Network preference pane, bypassing the router's DNS proxy. You must Apply the changes before they take effect.

Compare the results of that setup with what you get with OpenDNS. If there's no noticeable difference, then you know your router is the cause of the problem. If there is a difference -- a perceptible one, not a matter of a few milliseconds as measure by Name Bench -- then you have a network problem.

Sep 4, 2013 9:50 AM in response to Community User

I appreciate everybody's input and it helped me understand what was going on. Ultimately, I just tested and compared various DNS servers on each device to see how they worked. For whatever reason, it was really device dependent as to what DNS server was best. For my macbook air and macbook pro, the OPENDNS made web browsing much quicker; however, OPENDNS had no effect with my iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV so I left those with the default 192 pointer. So, the answer to my original question is that the DNS servers DON'T all need to match on my devices. Thanks again.

DNS SERVER settings--Do they all need to match?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.