Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Malware? (Safari Redirects + App store randomly running)

A friend sent me a tumblr link earlier today of some artists pic, clicked the pic for fullsize but got redirected to the orginal hosting site (No issues there). I had never been on that website before and it looked kinda shady so I quickly closed the tab and went on with life.

Ever since then though, my iPod Touch will keep redirecting me to random websites whenever I have to change or load another page. These websites are in No Way correlated with the orginal websites and I am not hitting any ads. Occasionally these redirects will also be accompanied by the app store opening to random apps. I'm seriously concered this ia a malware issue or some sort of harassment cookie or such on safari. Unfortunately, closing the app and restarting the ipod have NOT solved the issue.

iPod touch

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 6:13 PM

23 replies

Sep 2, 2013 6:40 PM in response to Randy16000

Update: the address that runs in a redirect that opens the Appstore is an adtracker address. Its opens the app store to Candy Crush

This probably could be explained by the website running page ads and switching them for a mobile device. But I've never had any such expereinces with some of the websites I'm trying to visit (deviantArt, imgur, tumblr)

It also runs the adtracker address in the same page and loads up an empty white screen. Every time.

Some of these website redirects are sometimes NSFW and sometimes just weird ads for random products and services (like phones and stuff). These types do not open the app store.

ALSO, MY IPOD IS NOT JAILBROKEN.

I updated it today, and its never been tampered or modded with.

Sep 2, 2013 8:19 PM in response to deggie

I did in fact try that right before you mentioned it. Unfortunately it didn't work at all.

It does seem that if I change the safari settings to block java scripts, it does stop the redirects, but then I can't really navigate most mobile webpages at that point.

I'm currently trying out to the Google Chrome web app to test if the problem is restricted to only Safari or if the issue is in the ipod system.

Sep 2, 2013 8:27 PM in response to Randy16000

No luck on Chrome either.

Still getting redirected to adtrack and such randomly when switching pages.The adtrack one is still running my appstore and sending me to the candycrush page.

Its starting to get annoying becasue I'm not hitting any ads, and it completely overtakes my current page with a plain white page even though I have my safari set to open clicked links in new tabs.

Sep 3, 2013 9:58 AM in response to Randy16000

There's no known malware capable of infecting an iPod that hasn't been jailbroken, so don't waste your time seeking solutions in that direction.

As for what the problem might be, are you only seeing these problems on one network? If you don't usually use your iPod on other networks, try that and see if the problem persists on other networks. Also, do other devices on the same network have the same problem?

Sep 3, 2013 1:46 PM in response to lllaass

> Already tried deleting history, data, and cookies.Didn't help the first time (Tried it again anyway like you suggested)

> Reset the iOS device also right after clearing the safari data, etc.

Still did not solve the issue.

On the second point.

> Ipod is not jailbroken, modded, or tampered with in any way, its not even a year old yet.

> Probelm still exists on other networks. No other devices experience the issue.

Sep 3, 2013 1:47 PM in response to Randy16000

Redirecting to Candy Crush Saga is not a virus. It's an advertisement for mobile devices. Disabling "scripts" means it cant do anything. It can't open tabs, play music, play videos, etc. It's kind of like basic web browsing. As for the redirecting, its the same thing - annoying ads. Clearing the history, cookies, or Safari data won't solve your "problems". If you want, you can disable the App Store by going to restrictions > disable installing apps. This will prevent the app store from opening - not the tabs.

Sep 3, 2013 1:58 PM in response to Kneil31

The issue I'm having is that it is not opening new tabs, (like its set to on my settings, and normally does for regular mobile ads) its hijacking the current one and sending me to blank white pages that I cannot exit unless I close the tab.

As stated in earlier posts, sometimes it does not run the app store, but redirects to NSFW websites and ads, and thats what has me suspicious. Unless again, this is adtracker (where all the redirects first go to) thinking thats ok for some reason due to tumblr ( as the whole issue started there ).

Jun 30, 2014 8:36 AM in response to Randy16000

RANDY 16000 it just happened to me, i used to fix pcs, so i have some knloedge, i did everything already mentioned, even re started my ipad, all i managed to accomplish is that it blocks the site when trying to rederect so if i resubmit the info i get wherever i wanna go, but this is no life man!!! my problem only occurs with chrome, which i hate because thers where i watch my videos at.. but no one cares... thers no info about how to fix this...like you, i have not messed arround with my ipad, nor I have modified my ipad software to prevent this and still happens...

Jan 10, 2015 9:16 PM in response to Randy16000

I'm having the same problem with an iPhone 4s. But when I turned off my wifi and used data, it worked without redirecting. I then turned off data and used wifi, and it still no longer redirected. I'm sure the redirecting will come back but I have a feeling it has to do with my router. By the way if you have a Linksys router you might have the moon worm, which has resulted in these kinds of redirects. I DON'T have a Linksys so I have no idea honestly... it also only happens rarely for me, only twice in the past couple of weeks, on tumblr and enotes. I'm going to upgrade my router firmware and hope that solves it, hope this helps everyone.

Ipod Malware? (Safari Redirects + App store randomly running)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.