Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

going STMP mail not working can receive mails from gmail, iCloud but not sending.

Outgoing STMP is not working, can't send email from gmail, iCloud, and hotmail

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 2:08 PM

1 reply

Oct 3, 2013 1:40 PM in response to Jcchangj

Hi jcchangj

I am in the UK and eventually found the problem was due to my BT Home Hub Router.

I found this fix below on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4604180?start=15&tstart=0

It worked for me. If you can't link to the URL, here is the body of the text

There's an issue related to the BT homehub that is providing a hostname that is "syntactically incorrect" for several smtp server.

Here's how you can fix it.

Using your internet browser, go to the address "192.168.1.254

- Follow instructions to reset your password if asked.

- Then go to "Settings", then "Advanced Settings" and "home network"

You will see there all the devices that are connected or that has been connected before. It's gonna be easyer if yout computer is the only one connected.

Your computer should have a name like "unknown-xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ...

Click on this name, chose another name without any special characters, like "macbook" for exemple.

And then click on "apply"

- restart your computer.

That should fix the issue.

Credit goes to vincentfromcork for providing me with the solution.

going STMP mail not working can receive mails from gmail, iCloud but not sending.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.