Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple pages in back/forward history?

Using Safari 6.0.5, for the last few days I have found that on SOME websites navigating around appears to insert more than one instance of a page in the back/forward history. It is then necessary to click the Back button (or swipe) more than once in order to return to the previous page, and the Forward button is then greyed out.

An example is the BBC News site: going from www.bbc.co.uk/news to the business page, to the market data page, then using the back button to return to the business page, finally re-entering the market data page results in the following list under the Back button -

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Overview

BBC News - Business

BBC News - Business

BBC News - Business

BBC News - Home

BBC News - Home

Many sites seem unaffected.

Anyone else noticed this?

Safari-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 8:07 AM

34 replies

Sep 8, 2013 12:45 PM in response to allanfromcork

Hi Allan,

I have the same problem and symptoms. I live in Dublin, have UPC as my broadband supplier and I'm using Safari 6.0.5 in Mountain Lion on a late 2010 MacBook Air if that sheds any light on the subject.

I have reset Safari, deleted configuration files all with no effect. I get the same behaviour in guest mode. The problem does not occur in Firefox. It seems like the pages are being added to the browser history twice. It's strange and really annoying!

Let's hope there are other people out there with the problem too and it attracts some attention from someone in Apple who can suggest and explanation and, indeed, a fix.

Regards,

Tony Marnell.

Sep 10, 2013 3:37 AM in response to allanfromcork

Further info - I noticed that the effect does not occur in the BBC's newsbeat pages (www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat), just the news pages. It also happens when using the pop-up program links on www.radiotimes.com and on (another example) www.astro.com.

Then I tried disabling Javascript - guess what? - effect goes away. So it looks like the problem may be the way Safari is responding to (some) Javascript.

I also see that there is at least one other thread on these boards where someone is complaining that for the last two days they've been having to push their back button twice. Come on Apple - what happened a couple of days ago?!

multiple pages in back/forward history?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.